Obsession - New Tank Idea

boardy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got a 108l tank (36"x12"x15") for some tropical fish and since then (about a week) I've just got the dreaded bug and want a bigger tank already. I've been looking around at the Fluval Roma 200 tank on its own as I already have the cabinet, but the tank is stupidly expensive for what it is and I don't want the crappy filter, hood or lights.

I had an idea today of going custom, so called Wharf Aquatics about a custom tank to fit the cabinet perfectly. They quoted me on a 40"x16"x26" (WxDxH) in 10mm glass which was well below what I was expecting and prepared to pay which was fantastic. The tank is around 260l so around 250-255l full from my calculations, which is 50-55l more than the Fluval for less than half the money. I'm completely shocked at this and if the other half lets me I'll be getting it made around the end of March, I will probably get it with glass sliders to keep condensation at bay.

I have the following equipment already -

TetraTec EX1200
Fluval 205 (used for about a day before getting the EX1200, just sitting in its box atm)
2x APS 50 pumps (out of use atm)
1x Elite dual output pump (bloody loud and not used atm)
Hydor 300w external heater
about 10 assorted airs stones (not in any of my tanks)
2xT8 30w TriPlus bulbs

I'll be making the hood for this myself as it's an odd size. Is there anything I should know or think about before doing this, and anything I need to prepare for? I've been wondering if there is anyway to fit some sort of filling / emptying mechanism to the tank, the 100l is a pain, a 260l is going to be a real pain. I also have the problem that at the height it will be at, lifting a bucket will be pretty hard. Could I put my pumps to use for filling or emptying?

I know things are a little vague but I'm pretty new to this so don't really know what to ask. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Adam

Ahh that's fantastic, thanks for that :D

I think I know how that sort of thing works, my dad used something that looked just like that made out of hosepipe and a few connectors for emptying his pond.

Cheers
Adam

I recently got a 108l tank (36"x12"x15") for some tropical fish and since then (about a week) I've just got the dreaded bug and want a bigger tank already.

MrBurnssm.jpg

Most reactions

Back