Oak Leaves

I have been using Magnolia grandiflora leaves from my backyard for years now, but I have also used oak leaves for extended periods of time. Yes, what you want is dried out, old (brown) leaves, such as those naturally fallen to the ground.
In addition to tannin releasing benefits by the leaves, they have several other benefits. Some fish (cories, for instance), love to play between and under them. Some plecos love to rasp on them, becoming a source of probably both nutrition and entertainment. The picture below shows a magnolia leaf that has been in the tank for 1 week (right), the other a new one about to enter the tank. Shown is the result of busy bushynose plecos (x2), even though other foods are given to them.
I place several leaves in each of my tanks and replace them weekly or as needed (I look at them and decide). Fish appear to love them. Almond, Magnolia, Oak, Maple leaves, and almost certainly many others are all good so long as they are dried out (brown). Good luck!

View attachment 168667
Magnolia leaves are great to use.

I bake collected leaves in the oven to dry so I can store them in a bag.

I am "woke" to the fact that I can get under your skin. What fun !
I enjoyed that one one.
I have ragged looking tanks, and am a defender of the faith in leaf litter and detritus. I think it looks good, and that's a personal belief so no one is allowed to analyze it!

We tend to talk about oaks because a lot of fishkeepers are in northern zones, tree-wise. Magnolias would be cool, but they don't thrive where I am. I'm told beech leaves are good. It's not a tree I see a lot of. Any others?

Generally if the wood is safe, the dried leaves will also be safe in an aquarium. Hardwood that is deciduous.

Don't put goofy stuff like tree leaves in your aquarium. That's an egg head fad that new age fish keepers came up with to sound smart. Keep your aquarium clean and your fish healthy.
I wonder when that dad got into the rivers that run through forested areas. Also how long that fad will last in such places.
I have been amongst fish tanks for over 60 years and keeping my own for over 50. The fad has not waned any. With me as in the forest rivers it is no fad. Cheers!

Generally if the wood is safe, the dried leaves will also be safe in an aquarium. Hardwood that is deciduous.
I found a list of safe woods for aquariums; alder, apple, beech, birch, cherry, hawthorn, heather, oak, pear, and sycamore.

I got some leaves from a local park. Before I did anything with them, I called the borough and asked if they sprayed pesticides recently. Turns out they have in the last month. You can't be too careful.

What about using almond leaves instead?
That's the safest option, if the leaves you can collect locally are questionable in any way

I have local access to many leaves that are safe & beneficial for aquarium use, but living in a refinery town, potential pollution is a real concern

One of the many advantages of using IALs is the ease of use...when they are totally depleted, all that's left is the "skeleton" of the leaf...the main stem, and veins...easy removal from the tank

Most reactions

Back