Oak trees

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bromeliads like good airflow around them and do best under shade cloth rather than in an enclosed room where the humidity can get too high and encourage fungus and moulds to grow. You could just make a frame under a tree and put the bromeliads there. No need for a shed or anything special, just a stand for putting the plants on and the tree (oak or whatever) can provide shade for them.
It will take years and lots of money to get a big property like that to house an oak and other stuff. I could be a collector of weird and wacky plants if I want to. There are some things I would consider about a big property, however. They would be much more difficult to maintain.

What is multi-gardening-syndrome? Did you like your garden a lot before the bad situations happened?

Currently learning about fish evolution, I have a thread if you want to join in :)

No idea what multi gardening syndrome is

Yes I used to enjoy gardening. I would spend several hours outside each day pulling weeds or repotting plants. I would visit plant nurseries every week and I would collect pecan nuts from the tree out the front (that the birds didn't get) and plant them to grow more pecan trees. The birds got most of the nuts so I never had many trees.

I used to go out bush walking and look at the native plants and bring back seeds or cuttings. And I monitored an area of bushland for 20 years that contained kangaroo paws and native orchids, as well as other native plants. It was really interesting experimenting on the orchids and I found that native orchids will stay up and about in the middle of summer as long as they get 1/2 cup of water (per plant) each day. If you stop watering for 3 days, they shut down and go dormant. Normally they go dormant in late spring. The orchids that got the extra water would have bigger bulbs and produce more flowers the following spring. With climate change and dryer seasons around here, the orchids are not going to be able to survive summers and will become extinct unless someone does something now.

"yellow ribbon" - I guess that makes you "Tony" and the rest of us are "Dawn?"

No idea what multi gardening syndrome is

Yes I used to enjoy gardening. I would spend several hours outside each day pulling weeds or repotting plants. I would visit plant nurseries every week and I would collect pecan nuts from the tree out the front (that the birds didn't get) and plant them to grow more pecan trees. The birds got most of the nuts so I never had many trees.

I used to go out bush walking and look at the native plants and bring back seeds or cuttings. And I monitored an area of bushland for 20 years that contained kangaroo paws and native orchids, as well as other native plants. It was really interesting experimenting on the orchids and I found that native orchids will stay up and about in the middle of summer as long as they get 1/2 cup of water (per plant) each day. If you stop watering for 3 days, they shut down and go dormant. Normally they go dormant in late spring. The orchids that got the extra water would have bigger bulbs and produce more flowers the following spring. With climate change and dryer seasons around here, the orchids are not going to be able to survive summers and will become extinct unless someone does something now.
The orchids are very interesting plants. I did visit a few plant nurseries a few times before. I go bush walking with my dad sometimes. What species of native orchid are you interested about?

I enjoy oak trees. They exude strength. We have a few bur oaks around here. They aren't native to the immediate area, but they grow wild in the Black Hills over in eastern Wyoming, and they seem to cope with our climate and clay soil better than most. But those white oaks back east? Those are some beautiful trees.

song starts at 27 seconds

Last edited:
I was studying Caladenia, Diuris and Pterostylis orchids.
I like orchids now. They're unique.

Do you watch Gardening Australia on TV? I don't watch gardening shows very often, but they are a source of inspiration of gardens. What did your garden look like before the bad situations happen? I'd love to come to your garden, it would've been beautiful and well-designed. Imagine the birds singing in the aviaries.

I liked birds when I was a young lad. I used to birdwatch most of the time and go bushwalking to see them. I knew most species of bird native to Australia. And I babysat a cockatiel in 2018. I must be lucky to see lots of birds near my area. I wanted to own a cockatiel or budgie or two, but dad won't let me because of his beliefs that birds should be free. That's understandable. I want to try my real best to look after these animals, but first, I must train myself about owning indoor cages and outdoor aviaries and doing lots of research on them.

I probably want to own a garden aviary with finches one day. How do I care for a small aviary full of zebra finches?

Oak trees truly are majestic, especially during spring and autumn. Selling acorns sounds like a unique idea. You could try selling them online or at local markets.
Personally, as a kid, I thought oak trees meant endless adventures and climbing expeditions. They were like guardians of our secret hideouts and provided the perfect shade for picnics with friends.
Also, I recently moved to a new house myself and have been considering planting a camphor tree in my backyard. I found some interesting info about them at https://www.mklibrary.com/camphor-tree/. It might be worth checking out if you're looking to add some greenery to your property.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back