Npt Betta Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The tank is now fully stocked.  Met our new betta (my son hasn't named him yet).  He seems to get along fine with the shrimp.  One of the three seems to be missing but the other two hang out right next to the betta and he doesn't even give them a look.  He spent the first few days in the back of the tank where the flow is lower flaring up at his reflection but now seems to be settled in and cruising the whole tank.

Nice fishy I bet he loves the plants.

Handsome!

If you haven't already, for the love of sanity, do not buy duckweed. It sheds like madness.

Thanks.

I was planning on putting some sort of floating plant in originally but the other plants have grown so much there's no need.  I haven't done any trimming lately because every time I get near one of them, it gets uprooted so I was hoping they would get anchored better before I messed with them too much.  You can see in the top pic that the anacharis is already growing sideways across the top of the tank giving him some more cover.  It's already curling back for a second pass.

The tank has been up for about 5 weeks now and everything is just humming along.  The only plant that doesn't seem to be doing all that well is the bacopa at the front right of the tank.  Most of the leaves have melted and the new growth is extremely slow compared to all the other plants.  I don't want to pull it out yet because the stems still look healthy and the shrimp are doing a pretty good job of cleaning up the discarded leaves.  This morning I found two new RCS trolling the bottom of the tank, which I was happy to see. The betta shows no interest in them since he spends most of his time flaring up at his reflection or squeezing through all the plants trying to get himself into every possible nook of the tank.

This is fantastic! I've been struggle with some tank decor in my tank not being great for my betta and have considered going to a planted tank to help with the health and cycling and to give my fish some friendlier cover. 

I thought that having that many snails, cherry shrimp, and the betta would be overwhelming for 6 gallons. My tank is also six gallons and I've thought about adding some friends for my fish. Do you find that amount of fish to be appropriate and working well? I was thinking about RCS myself.

Most reactions

Back