Npt Betta Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DHJac

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
This will be the journal for my 6 gal NPT low tech Betta tank.  This tank is mainly going to be used as a learning experience for my 9 yr old son and, well, because he really wants a betta.  We have a 110 gal brackish tank that he loves but it's so big that it's hard to get him too involved with the maintanence of it.  This will also be my first attempt at a planted tank, so wish me luck.

The original plan was to just do a low tech tank with a few easy plants like java fern, java moss and anubias nano.  After reading more into the naturally planted tank concept of a soil base and sand cap with lots of stem plants and the lessened requirements for ferts and other additives, we were intrigued, so down that road we went.

Details:
6 gal Eheim Aquastyle Aquarium, includes a corner filter and LED light (6500k, 7W)
50 W Tetra submersible heater
Soil - Miracle Grow Organic
Sand - Black Aquarium Sand from Petco

Planned Stocking:
(1) Betta
(3-5) MTS
(5) Red Cherry Shrimp
(2) Assassin Snails (after the tank is established to control the MTS)

So we ordered the tank from Amazon last week and weren't expecting it until late this week, but low and behold, it showed up Saturday.  Off we went to the LFS to get the remainder of the equipment and the wood.  We thought about picking up the plants and snails as well, but weren't sure how much of a mess the soil and sand base would make and decided we'd go back today if everything went well.  I'm glad we decided to wait though, because we've already encountered our first setback.  As you can see in the picture above, the tank is clear and the wood looks great after boiling it, but there is one thing wrong, the pump doesn't work.  When we started the filter up, the pump was making a rattling noise and no water was coming out.  I've contacted Eheim, but there is definitely something wrong with the pump.  The impeller just kind of bounces around in the housing and never actually spins.  Pretty disappointing from a company that has the reputation for well engineered equipment like Eheim, but hey things happen.

So, once we get the pump issue situated, we'll continue with the journal.  The plan is to have a variety of stem plants like rotala indica, ludwigia, cabomba and wisteria covering about 70% of the tank with a little java moss and anubias tied to the wood.

tank looks nice!  Im relatively new to the hobby, but I am pretty sure the betta will eat those shrimp.  Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

I'm hoping with as many plants as the tank will have, there will be enough cover.  

Well I have an update on the filter issue.  I contacted Eheim first to see if they would just send me a filter but they said they were out of stock for 6 weeks!?!  I figured Amazon would want me to send the whole tank assembly back, which I didn't want to do since I already had my substrate in, but they were very accommodating and agreed to send an entire new tank assembly overnight to me.  So now I just have to rob the filter from the new shipment and then return it with the bad filter.  Very happy with their service.

The replacement filter came as promised and I now have the tank up and running.  I made a trip to the LFS and picked up a bunch of stem plants and two nerite snails.  This was my first attempt at a planted tank and let me tell you, the combination of a small tank and large hands made it pretty difficult to actually get everything in and planted.  Its not exactly how I envisioned it, but I was getting pretty frustrated with plants not wanting to stay down as I was trying to squeeze in the next one.

This may not be the complete list of plants but it's what I can remember that I picked up:
anubius nana
java moss
red ludwigia
bacopa
green cabomba
anacharis

Sounds good, a background makes a world of a difference.

I had some shorter tweezers but they weren't cutting it.
Ummmmm tweezers are not for cutting, We use scissors for that. Black background will look nice.

NickAu said:
Ummmmm tweezers are not for cutting, We use scissors for that. Black background will look nice.

"Cutting it" is an expression. ;)

I know Aussie humor when I see it
tongue2.gif

Well, we're about a week into the tank getting planted and I'm see very nice growth on just about everything.  I added three RCS the other day and they are doing a great job of cleaning up the leaves that didn't make it.  

The point of this style of tank is that the heavy stem plants provide enough filtering that livestock can be added before the cycling has even finished.  Since this is my first try with this setup, I still plan on waiting until the tank is completely cycled to add the betta. I did a 50% water change on Sat and will be doing another this evening just to make sure the levels are ok for the snails and shrimp.  The last two days, ammonia levels have been at 0.25 ppm and nitrite at 0.25-0.5 ppm on the API drop test.  Still no nitrate levels as I would expect at this stage.

Here's a pic of the busy little RCS

and one showing some of the plant growth

LyraGuppi said:

"Cutting it" is an expression.
wink.png

Sorry Lyra us oldies do not get all this hip jive funky new slang LOL.

Remember to feed the snails everynow and again, Most if not all Betta food floats, When I had a betta I used to give it 3 or 4 Attisons betta pro pellets 2 times a day, Bettas love food and my betta made sure no food made it to the bottom of the tank.

That's one lucky betta. ;)
Today, I'm actually gonna give my 5 gallon to my betta, as well as setting up some live plants for him. Water Wisteria and anubias. Maybe order some duckweed off of amazon.

The tank readings have been zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for a few days now so everything appears to be going well.  Shrimp are a new thing for me and I noticed the largest one today seems to just be zooming around the tank nonstop.  One of the RCS molted but I'm not sure which one.  Is the hyperactive behavior normal after they molt?  I thought I got a glimpse of a shrimplet as well, but I haven't been able to spot him again.  I just finished a 50% WC so hopefully I didn't suck him up in the process.  

I'm loving how easy this tank has been so far.  All the plants are growing like crazy and the water is always crystal clear.  I think we'll be making a trip to a couple of the LFS this weekend to see if we can find just the right betta.  The attack of the pond snails has begun though, which I don't really mind, but if they get too out of hand, my son will be happy to add the assassin snail he keeps asking for.  The nerites will just get moved in with the others in the brackish tank.

RainboWBacoN420 said:
That's one lucky betta.
wink.png

Today, I'm actually gonna give my 5 gallon to my betta, as well as setting up some live plants for him. Water Wisteria and anubias. Maybe order some duckweed off of amazon.
Thanks.

I would definitely recommend the soil based tank if you don't mind breaking your 5 gal all the way down.  I haven't had to add any ferts to the tank and all the plants seem to be thriving.  Sure makes for a lot less daily maintenance.

Most reactions

Back