Not Sure What As Happen

ray john

Reaction score
please can someone tell me what to do . change water as like every sunday about 30% . and hoovered it a 5ft tank set up since oct 05 did a test about 3 hours later 1st time did test after water change. normally do test in middle of week once month. all test have been ok unit this time p.h=8.5 ammonia =0.0, nitrite=0.1 all same as usual unit i got to nitrate = 50-75 mg/l what can this been ? do i need to change more water tonight and every night this week ? to get it lower . but what causes it ?

How often do you do a gravel vac, plus when did you last maintain and look in the filter, one of the sponges might need a slight rinse in old tank water.

Plus can we take a look at your stocking list.

i hoover every weekend at the same time as water change as for stock 4 dinos, 2 mollys, 5 tetras, 5 plates, 2 sailfin mollys, 6 cory, 2 rams, 5 penguin tetra,1 redline torpedo,2 polkerdot loaches.

Check sponges to see if they are really mucked up.
Plus what is your tap nitrate reading.

had a shock went i test the tap water it was 25-50 mg/l . clean the filter not that dirty . tonight did 25% water change . so what can i do to lower the nitrate ? and one of the loaches was died tonight . please help

Sorry for your loss, R.I.P. Just water changes to fetch the nitrate down, don't do it to fast though as it will stress the fish.

Is it 25 or 50 as you can report the water board if it's above 50.

Pm bloozoo2 she has a high nitrate and she should tell you, if it is 50 all you can do is keep it around that area.
But if it 75 now it means that you can get it down to 50.

How old is your test and how long has it been opened ? Nitrate tests are notoriously difficult to read over about 30ppm and you need to replace them every 6 months.
Water in that part of the UK and London, where I live (and other parts of the country) have high levels of Nitrate, pH and hardness.

Do yo have any live plants in your tank ? If so, the nitrate reading would drop gradually each day as the plants use the nitrates and would make sense why your readings are usually lower.

A level of 75 sounds abnormally high and I would question that. What brand are your using ?

Take a sample reading from your tap water, but let it stand first for 24 hours and then let us know :)

thanks for replying bloozoo the testers is interpet easy test . it says on the box it ok for 2 years. not sure how long i ve had it but over 6 months i think and yes i do have live plants growing like mad . as for the water test of the tap i test it monday night but did not let it stand for 24hrs and it was 50mg/l . so what can i do ? change water last night 25% do i need to do that every night ?

Just do a another water change, and test your nitrate from the tap again, leaving it to stand for 24 hours, good luck.

I would ring your local water supplier and double check that reading. It's not supposed to be that high for drinking water. Either that or your nitrate test is over the hill. It might be fine for 2 years - but that's unopened. Once opend and within the expiry period, they usually only last for up to six months.

Most reactions

Back