Nitrite Spike After Stocking

I had a funny (well not really that funny) experience at Petsmart yesterday. I'm looking for a Bristlenose plec and they had one. I said I'll take that, and they said, "No that is a resident. We don't sell Bristlenoses. They are not on our list anymore." I begged and they refused and tried to interest me in a common plec. Great.

I had a funny (well not really that funny) experience at Petsmart yesterday. I'm looking for a Bristlenose plec and they had one. I said I'll take that, and they said, "No that is a resident. We don't sell Bristlenoses. They are not on our list anymore." I begged and they refused and tried to interest me in a common plec. Great.
:lol: "lets make our list even less beginner friendly" (about 6 tanks out of 60 on a PetSmart fishwall have fish appropriate for beginners, you think?

I've lost all 4 aceis, 2 bumblebees, and 1 electric yellow.

I have one albino zebra that is keeping to itself in the back corner of the tank, just like most of the others did, so I'm thinking it won't be around much longer. :(

The other 2 bumblebees (especially the two bumblebees) and the other 3 albinos and 3 electric yellows act and look happy and healthy. The plecos look and act great as well.

There's two yellow labs who keep swimming in counter clockwise circles with eachother. I don't know if they're sizing up the other, or dancing to impress, playing, whatever, but I've seen them do it a few times, anywhere up to 20 seconds or so, and they just stop and go back to whatever it was they were previously doing. Very interesting to see.

I'm hoping this albino pulls through, but if not, I'm hoping the rest will be fine, as they seem to be loving the setup, loving the food, and loving the company. I have hardly seen any aggression at all, and for the last while when the problems first started happening, I've been watching them like a hawk, paying attention to how they act from one day to the next. I hope the cut down in numbers doesn't cause an increase in aggression, though.

As far as the water, I still show 0 ppm ammonia, 5 nitrates, pH of 8.2, temp at 79*F, and the highest the nitrites have gotten in a 24 hour period was slightly under .50, but most days it's been more than 0, but less than .25. I do the necessary water changes in regards to the reading, and apply back an equal percentage of salt to equal out to about 1/4 of the recommended dosage for my tank, because of the plecs.

This case still amazes me. I've not seen another one where nitrite stayed solid for (I forget how many days, but it was days I believe) but then went into such a solid nitrite spike period after the fish were introduced. It almost makes me feel there should be an overall minimum time in the algorithm before the test feedback is allowed to be listened to in a fishless cycle (eg. a 3-4 week FLC w/o MM is too short, regardless.)

~~waterdrop~~

This case still amazes me. I've not seen another one where nitrite stayed solid for (I forget how many days, but it was days I believe) but then went into such a solid nitrite spike period after the fish were introduced. It almost makes me feel there should be an overall minimum time in the algorithm before the test feedback is allowed to be listened to in a fishless cycle (eg. a 3-4 week FLC w/o MM is too short, regardless.)

~~waterdrop~~

Yeah, I really don't understand it either. I haven't been in the cycling know as long as you have, but I did everything the best I knew how to, and relayed all information here as accurately as I could.

And yes, you're right, it was about a week that my cycle appeared to be complete.

I've been busy with Spring time activities lately. Not too busy to take care of my tank, just haven't been able to get online much with yard work, Easter, enjoying this lovely weather we've been having, etc...

Anyway, figured I'd give an update.

I have lost another fish or two since my last update, so far the death toll stands at all 4 yellow tail acei, 2 bumblebees, 1 electric yellow, 1 albino red finned zebra, and 1 BN pleco. The rest of the fish are social, curious, looking and eating well.

The parameters seem to have leveled out over the last few days. Giving consistent readings of 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. I haven't had to change the water since Friday, but am testing it daily just to keep an eye on it. I am also going to give my tank a couple of weeks of level readings before I decide to add more fish, and at that time, it'll only be a couple of fish at a time.

The double zeros are definitely a positive indication Nork. I wish that I could help, you maintain that level in your tanks overall. The problem that I am having is that I do not find your present water quality anything but great. Have I missed something in your day to day levels of poisons?

I remember that one of my thoughts during Nork's fishless cycle case was that the cycle was so fast and so textbook, and I thought the fish were going to be some typical beginner hardy fish... but then (Nork, correct me if I'm wrong) he made a store visit or something and suddenly was doing his initial stocking with a lot of what I thought of as pretty advanced fish. I just chalked it up to my own ignorance of some of the cichids - and it still may be that they are hardy and its just me that doesn't know that but I was worried that maybe many of them were fish that might need special conditions or a more mature tank or something - I just didn't know. OM, don't know if this might be an angle for any further thoughts?

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back