Nitrite Reading

Actually there is a thread in the scientific section where experimental evidence has shown that removing some of the excess ammonia will actually cause a tank to cycle faster, not slower. The ammonia needed to keep the cycle at top build up rate is actually any bit more than the current bacteria can use. Because our test kit is not perfect at picking up every minor trace of ammonia, no amount of detectable ammonia is the exact amount that we want. The bacteria will continue to grow at levels where the ammonia is not detectable and the fish will be much healthier for having good water to live in. Water changes cause no stress at all in fish when they are replacing bad water with better water. They merely give the fish a chance to survive with no permanent damage as we used to see before the cycling process became well understood. Whether it takes 2 water changes a day or 6, clean water is far more important than the perceived risk of changing water parameters too quickly. If you have ever watched a leaf float along in a river, you will realize that those fish are getting fresh water every few seconds, how can a change every hour cause stress?

Actually there is a thread in the scientific section where experimental evidence has shown that removing some of the excess ammonia will actually cause a tank to cycle faster, not slower. The ammonia needed to keep the cycle at top build up rate is actually any bit more than the current bacteria can use. Because our test kit is not perfect at picking up every minor trace of ammonia, no amount of detectable ammonia is the exact amount that we want. The bacteria will continue to grow at levels where the ammonia is not detectable and the fish will be much healthier for having good water to live in. Water changes cause no stress at all in fish when they are replacing bad water with better water. They merely give the fish a chance to survive with no permanent damage as we used to see before the cycling process became well understood. Whether it takes 2 water changes a day or 6, clean water is far more important than the perceived risk of changing water parameters too quickly. If you have ever watched a leaf float along in a river, you will realize that those fish are getting fresh water every few seconds, how can a change every hour cause stress?

so why with these five fish, would nitrite get so high - I wouldn't have thought it would get so high ?

Well, assuming that particular test is working correctly, the -ways- you could get high nitrite would seem to be either that you've got a large ammonia oxidizing colony and the nitrite oxidizing colony has either not developed for some reason or has been killed off, or there is some object in the tank giving off nitrite (seems unlikely...)

Can you give us all your stats again, with any actions that happened to the tank? Sorry if its in another thread, can't remember.. 1.5 months fish-in cycling? zero ppm ammonia, top-of-chart nitrite(NO2), unknown pH, unknown nitrate(NO3), plants/noplants unknown, rocks/norocks unknown, decorations/nodecorations unknown, size of each fish, volume and type of each filter media, flow rate... I guess stuff like that might turn up something.

~~waterdrop~~

HazardousBlue: I asked the same question for several days until I did the tap water test. Have you already tested your tap water for ammonia? In my case I had about 0.25-0.50ppm ammonia in my tap water along with a very well colonized ammonia processing bacteria. Every time I did a water change I saw nitrites spike off the chart. This was because of the bacteria converting the tap water ammonia to nitrites.

I have switched to fishless cycling since then and am at the similar stage where I have loads of bacteria that process ammonia but no bacteria to process nitrites.

I don't mean to sound crude, but how long could the fish survive if the nitrite was off the chart? Honestly, I wouldn't have expected them to survive very long at all in that condition. Is there something else I'm missing? With that in mind, have you confirmed that the nitrite test is accurate? Can you test your tap water, or start diluting a sample of your water to see if the nitrite eventually drops as expected?

-P

I don't mean to sound crude, but how long could the fish survive if the nitrite was off the chart? Honestly, I wouldn't have expected them to survive very long at all in that condition. Is there something else I'm missing? With that in mind, have you confirmed that the nitrite test is accurate? Can you test your tap water, or start diluting a sample of your water to see if the nitrite eventually drops as expected?

-P

thanks for all the help - I will post some more readings later when I get back from work (didn't want to appear rude for not replying). As for the test, and the fish conditions, I agree I thought they would be smoke, but they seem pretty happy swimming around.

Ok, a little update.

I have done 2 changes around 40 % last night and this morning

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 5+ -- basically no shift
Nitrate 5
PH 8.0 -- is this too high ?

Tap Nitrite 0.

So I have no idea - I can't believe the Nitrite can be SO high still. I would imagine the fish would be dead now as this has been going for a while now.

BiUbe has plastic ornaments and some marble style stones, that came with the kit. The gravel is a BiUbe special ceramic media. The feed is currently once a day - micro pellets.

Right then...I would suggest you take a 1ml sample of tank water and mix with 4ml of tap water. (you can scale these numbers up if you like).
And re-test the nitrites of the solution...
The test result will be 20% of the actual level of nitrites in the tank...
I'd hope that 20% of the actual levels would actually give a readable ppm...

If it's still off the scale then 1ml of tank water with 9ml of tap water. Test the normal amount (5ml of the solution you've created), and the test result will be 10% of the actual levels in the tank.
Hope that makes sense to you.

And I'm also shocked they are surviving in those sort of levels. -_-

Right then...I would suggest you take a 1ml sample of tank water and mix with 4ml of tap water. (you can scale these numbers up if you like).
And re-test the nitrites of the solution...
The test result will be 20% of the actual level of nitrites in the tank...
I'd hope that 20% of the actual levels would actually give a readable ppm...

If it's still off the scale then 1ml of tank water with 9ml of tap water. Test the normal amount (5ml of the solution you've created), and the test result will be 10% of the actual levels in the tank.
Hope that makes sense to you.

And I'm also shocked they are surviving in those sort of levels. -_-

So I think either my tank is screwed, or I have lots of changes to do...

20 % - 5+
10% actual reading :hyper: 1

So there be lots of nitrite.... :(

Water changes only, or is there anything else ? Should I stop feeding ?

Well at least you know how much is in the tank now...
I know this may be annoying but if it were me I'd do two water changes up in the 80% area.
That should bring levels down to .4ppm which still isn't perfect but will do for now, and then see how much it has increased by the morning.
Once it's at readable levels you can then work out how fast it's actually increasing.

Don't know if you should skip a feed...

Well at least you know how much is in the tank now...
I know this may be annoying but if it were me I'd do two water changes up in the 80% area.
That should bring levels down to .4ppm which still isn't perfect but will do for now, and then see how much it has increased by the morning.
Once it's at readable levels you can then work out how fast it's actually increasing.

Don't know if you should skip a feed...

thanks. just so I know, if and when I get it down to safe levels- and then find it rising, what would be the cause - I wouldn't have thought the fish would be producing that much ?

Thanks for all your help

Your fish are clearly supermen if they're surviving in 10ppm nitrite :D Large large large volume waterchanges would be the best place to start, then as Curiosity101 says when your levels are in a readable range without dilution, do say a 12h retest to see what your levels are at. Have you added anything to the tank that might have killed all your bacteria outright recently? -_-

Your fish are clearly supermen if they're surviving in 10ppm nitrite :D Large large large volume waterchanges would be the best place to start, then as Curiosity101 says when your levels are in a readable range without dilution, do say a 12h retest to see what your levels are at. Have you added anything to the tank that might have killed all your bacteria outright recently? -_-

nothing really - just some plastic plants....

So no fish are missing? No extra food lying around? No dying plants etc etc?
I think as part of your water changes you should open up the filter and make sure it's not super clogged up or anything like that.
If it's all fine then I can't see anything causing the nitrite other than the fish...maybe these 'superfish' are also super messy...lol.

What size are they? And (Please don't take this the wrong way), are they definitely the fish you think they are...

Just done a change - will let it settle and then do another that clears out the system. Will let you know ! Thanks

Most reactions

Back