Nitrite Problem

jonh

Reaction score
hi all,
is it worth putting a guppy in my fish tank to get my nitrites down, i got the guppies for free my m8s dad said that it would be alright to when my nitrites are on 5ppm afer cycling my tank to 3-4 weeks.

cheers

How on earth would adding a fish bring the nitrites down? You've got me confused now. Fish
crap=more ammonia=more nitrites. And 5 ppm of nitrites is certainly not going to do your guppy any good.

I agree, adding fish will not solve your problem. If your in the process of cycling a tank, leave it well alone and the the bacteria deal with it, now you have nitrites, your bacteria colony should start to produce Nitrobacter which will oxidise your nitrites to nitrates, then you can start on water changes to keep those levels down.

hi,
i put only one guppy in my tank that i got from someone for free. iadded it last night and the fish is alive and the nitrites have come down to 0ppm over night.
cheers for ansewering so quickly
jon

guppies aren't the best fish to add when your tank is still cycling. Danios,however are hardy fish that are known to withstand the cycling process. How are you cycling your tank? what size tank have you got?

How are you cycling your tank? what size tank have you got? , ive been doing the fishless cycle and then the nia dropped about 2-3 weeks ago and the nitrite stayed up. and i have got a 35 liter tank, (elite style 35)

Most reactions

Back