Nitrate Reduction

DarrenUnwin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just setup a Aqua Medic NR400 with deniballs as the media. Its been running for a week now and I have been adding additional Denimare powder every day as per the instruction sheet until the balls start to dissolve. I'm just wondering how long the unit will take to mature and are there are signs in the unit will tell me that I can stop adding the powder.

Many thanks for the replies.

I haven't heard of anyone using these in a marine tank for quite some while - do you have them in a reactor?

Seffie x

I haven't heard of anyone using these in a marine tank for quite some while - do you have them in a reactor?

Seffie x

Hi Seffieuk

Yes they are in a reactor, I got mine from a friend but they still sell them on the net for around £100. Normally I managed the nitrates with fortnightly water changes but I'm travelling more with work so I was looking for a way to extend them a while to say monthly.

But I have to admit, not having been on the forum for a while, it worries me a little when you mentioned they haven't been used in marine tanks for a while. Whats the latest thinking on nitrate removal?

Many thanks

I know a lot of people have shy`d away from Nitrate reactors due to them souring and becoming a problem,

There are a couple of ways I would consider keeping nitrates low

1. Use Purigen this will export nitrates via the media
2. Chaeto and calpera refegium export with algae removal
3. there are good reports from using NP Biopellets

I know a lot of people have shy`d away from Nitrate reactors due to them souring and becoming a problem,

Thanks morri, the bio pellets looks interesting and theres some good success stories on the net, one "the grumpy old reefer" writes a well balance report. Think I will give them a try.

Thanks morri, the bio pellets looks interesting and theres some good success stories on the net, one "the grumpy old reefer" writes a well balance report. Think I will give them a try.

Morri,a

Just one quick question - Can I use them in the NR 400 instead of the deni balls and what would the flow have to be like. I'm T-ing off my return from my canister filter where I have my rawphos and some rock rubble so the flow is fairly slow.

Many thanks

Not sure but there are a few bloggs out there of people using these might be worth messaging one of them

Most reactions

Back