nitrate in tap water.

myfrint

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My tap water already has like 40ppm nitrate in there.

So, even if i do frequent water changes, the nitrate level is in constant 20~40 ppm.

Is there any good product that can remove nitrate from the tap wateR?

Are you having any other trouble in your tank? If not, it shouldn't be a big deal at all.

Yeah, i'm having problem with my water. (It looks greenish)

It's because of algae bloom, and i heard that high nitrate can be one of the reasons for that.

So, i'm trying to cut feeding amount, reducing light, and finally, reducing nitrate level.

But, unfortunately, my tap water already has nitrate in there.

So, i'm asking for any good solution for that. :)

I've heard that nitrates in water supplies are not a good thing for us humans. Sometimes they indicate fouling by pesticides. Do you live near any farms, run-off etc? I would double check this but I recently read that getting nitrate readings from tap water was not a good sign.

-Jason

myfrint said:
My tap water already has like 40ppm nitrate in there.
Think yourself lucky, the nitrAtes in our tapwater are at 80ppm.

we use Juwel nitrAte sponges in our filters which help, and our tanks are heavily planted.

Doing a water change puts our tanks' nitrAtes up!

Lol. that really sux.

Yeah, i think i should add somekind of filter media that could reduce nitrate level.

Adding boiled water to a aquarium is not a good idea, due to evapouration in the form of steam the minerals are consentrated more and essential electrolytes are lost from the water.

KENT marine make a great nitrate lowering media called nitrate sponge granules, http://www.aquadirect.com/store/customer/p...uctid=91&cat=10 ,its not cheap but it does work and remains active a lot longer than any other nitrate reducing medias i have used

Thanks for letting me know. I was going to remove my nitro-zorb pouch. (another nitrate removing product), but I guess, I'll just take the risk of not boiling the water and leave the nitro-zorb in there?

Sylvia

In addition to my previous post:

What I was actually referring to was the NH3-NH4 level. I believe that's the ammonia level.

The test shows 1.5mg/l which is considered toxic.

What's worse? Putting toxic water in the tank or water without minerals?

My nitrite level is 0. So that's OK.

My pH is 8, which is a problem also... I intend to add a pinch of pH regulator to every bucket.

Does any of you use rainwater?

Sylvia

What water source are you using? The only reason for there being ammonia in a tapwater supply is if your water company uses chloromine to treat the water, if this is the case then you will need to use a conditioner that neutralises chloromine and a product such as AMMO LOCK to detoxify the ammonia, alternatively you could run the de chlorinated water through a established biological filter to remove the ammonia before adding it to the tank.

Rainwater poses the problem that in some areas it can be heavily polluted and also has no measurable hardness so is very unstable, when using rainwater you must re mineralise it with the essential trace elements and buffers just like you would with R/O water otherwise your tank will suffer from huge pH swings and could crash altogether.

Personally i wouldnt recomend playing about with the pH unless you are very sure of what you are doing and have a good understanding of water chemistry. Unless you plan on keeping delicate fish that require soft acidic water to survive then a pH of 8 will be fine as most common tropicals will happilly live in it.

Thanks for your reply.
I don't know how they treat the water here, but i will try to get hold of Ammo Lock.

Now for the pH problem, I was hoping to add a dwarf gourami to my community. What do you think?

Personally id avoid dwarf gouramis like the plague, unfortunately the species is now so interbred and riddled with diseases like TB that very few live longer than a few months and often infect the whole tank before they die.

So what would be your suggestion based upon my current tank population?
I need some colorful presence here.
I can't keep an angelfish because my tank is too small and the heigth is only 12'.

What about a beta? Would that mix with my tetra's and my tank situation?

Most reactions

Back