Nice story

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Petet

Reaction score
Hello, I found this on youtube and thought it was funny. But until the end of the video I was also captivated by the video. Is such an aquarium worth it or not?
Thank you

If done well, this method can make a great aquarium. You still need to maintain it like a regular method tank.

I tried it with my current one, but I ended up using a filter.

It can work, but you have to be prepared to analyze why.

The fish involved are few. Extreme light stocking doesn't appeal to most aquarists, but it's the only thing that will work in a stagnant tank. If you are comfortable with one tiny fish per 3 or 4 gallons of water, you can make a go of this.

Every single plant has to be researched. You have to choose carefully. A lot of youtube presenters make it appear these tanks are easy, when in fact, they take either enormous experience or hours of research, as well as constant glass cleaning and plant trimming. A lot will also depend on what your tap water is, in terms of the minerals it offers the plants.

It may work in one region and not in another. I do regular water changes and run filters, though usually air driven ones. There are plants that thrived at my old house, with tds 85 water. Here, 900 km east with 65 tds water, I can't grow those plants, but other plants do well. Water has different chemical profiles that affect plant growth. The easy solution youtubers tend to sidestep that.

As well, they like to say they're based on the Walstad tank, but they've rarely bothered to read that book to really learn her well researched method. I'd suggest that as a starting point.

All that aside, if you want plants more than fish, and you are willing to do the work, that kind of tank will work.

For light stocking, if you want more than a tiny fish per 3-4 gallons then dwarf shrimp can work.

Cherry shrimps are awesome, pretty entertaining too!

AC704484-35EA-47C2-88D5-D8617838AFFF.jpeg

Most reactions

Back