Ngā Reo O Aotearoa (Voices Of Aotearoa)

You've gone from asking people's advice/opinions to showing us all how it should be done :) Congrats.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the substrate and I would put the 'pleco cave' behind the island so it gives the fish sanctuary without being visible :)

Andy

Going to have dinner then start trying to scape the substrate I'll be slightly limited on this as theres JL aquabasis under the Manado but I'll do my best :good:

A big thanks to all who helped esp SuperColey1 Ianho and Lidjma6 (for helping me work up the courage to smash my rocks :hey:) and everyone else who's offered suggestions It's appreicated - Not finished yet lol still got to plant after its scaped you dont get off that easy.

Still want to adjust thr rock slightly and the only prob with the rock is its less obvious in a pic that the manado is in a mound it does however look a lot more raised in the flesh so to speak. The wood is also a curse here as its hitting the cover glass as it is lol that coupled with Manado being light means less of a mound that perhaps I could have had with sand but it really does seem more raised when you see it I swear lol

Had to adjust the rocks in the front as when i planned it out on the table i neglected to allow space in front of the rocks and if I had done them in the same way the rocks at the front would have been hitting the glass. I do plan to add a few more small fragments at the front but they will be v small and more filler.

tanknow.jpg

The wood suddenly looks more central in the last pic, I'd try and move it to one side slightly as if it's central it will bug you after a while and you'll wonder why it doesn't look right. Liking the layout tho, with a few small fragments blending the island into the substrate and making it look really natural it will be awesome.

The wood suddenly looks more central in the last pic, I'd try and move it to one side slightly as if it's central it will bug you after a while and you'll wonder why it doesn't look right. Liking the layout tho, with a few small fragments blending the island into the substrate and making it look really natural it will be awesome.

I agree I'll shift it slightly when im planting I think I did centre it a little to much same with the fragments its starting to look better not like my very 1st planted tank about 16 months ago Admittedly this scape still needs plants which reminds me must go order some more :hey: :hey: - Check out the horrible resin German U-boat and the sod it that can go there planting :blink: and not forgetting the "Ill just leave these plants in there pots"

a1tank.jpg

Lol gotta love a resin ornament, I think everyones had one at some point :)

I was going to say 'now comes the hard part of growing plants well. However from the pic above that isn't going to be a problem.

Sooo instead......now comes the hard part of selecting the right plants and positioning them well. lol

Andy

Going to order plants tommorow spending today looking at other island scapes and plants used atm I have 6 cryprs 3 of which grow about 40cm and 3 which are smaller ill check names in a bit - any suggestions on planting appreciated don't want to rush it and make mistakes again :good:

can i just mention one of my faves at the mo...Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae, an excellent plant for the back or in between the island :good:

MS paint is always a good thing to use when planning.

Maybe something soft like Cabomba at the back, I dont think Straighter leaf plants will work as good

it depends on what you want, but straighter leaved plants will suite the middle to back, when i say straight, i don't mean the boring old Vallis. I would also suggest some large Microsorum pteropus, for the base of the island.:good:

I'm with Ian there, Java Fern to base the planting on surrounded by some shorter Crypts would look stunning, You can see the dense foliage you can get from Crypts in my Pogostemon Pastures Journal, I only bought about 4 pots.

Ha, i was talking about vallis, about the background plants anyway...

Im giving this some serious thought now :good:

I like idea of the ferns at the base but would the crypts be outside the island or on it ? and do i want anything around it or should it be bare ? And would you plant at the back of the island or would this be making the island less and less obvious ? much confusion for a noob here :hey:

Going to get mug of tea and get lappy on in bed to have a bigger look at other scape I think but before I do that I'll go photo the crypts and anubia I ahave already might be some use maybe.

Im going to try and order the plants I need before 12 tommorow to catch my suppliers cut off for ordering

dscf1559a.jpg

dscf1560u.jpg

dscf1562d.jpg

dscf1561f.jpg

I'd plant everything on the island and spread the rocks a little as if you think about it you won't have much space for planting otherwise and if you plant outside the rocks it will defeat the idea of the island scape :)

I'd plant everything on the island and spread the rocks a little as if you think about it you won't have much space for planting otherwise and if you plant outside the rocks it will defeat the idea of the island scape :)

Most reactions

Back