Newby...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

danieljdavies

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im new to this forum and hve recently got a 30 Litre freshwater tank. I have had the water cycling through the filter for a week or two, and have also added some aquariu sand (after washing it thoroughly). I know the chlorine starts to decrease after time, but i have added 1ml of dechlorinator anyway. I also have some wood, which has been soaking in a bucket for over 2 weeks. I have not yet added this to the tank until i know its fully clean and will sink.

I am undecided what to do next, whether to heat the water and let it filter a little more, or go straight for the cycle. I know you can do a fishless cycle by adding ammonia etc.. but the tropical fish store recommended i maybe add some hard fish to the tank to get it going, as it might be quicker? e.g. some tetras.

can anyone give me some feedback on what would be best to do? and also when i should start to heat the water?

thanks for reading

Dan

Read through the resource centre, the articles pinned in the tropical discussion section.
Here :)
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/

Heating your water to 80C or above will also help speed up the cycle.

DO NOT whatever you do, get some 'hardy fish'. They will most likely die because of ammonia poisoning, no, follow the instructions on fishLESS cycling and your future fish, and your bank balance :D will be much better off. You also wont have to go through the stress of losing a fair amount of any fish you put in the tank.

Come here for any advice, not your lfs we will be most happy to assist, whereas they dont seem to be in any other mindset than to make money, sadly. oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Hi Dan,

A couple of points; I know you have no fish in your tank yet, but you should always use a dechlorinator; the chlorine will kill off the beneficial bacteria you want to grow in your filter.

You also want to switch the heater on now; the bacteria grow much better at warmer temperatures.

My best advice would be to do a full, fishless cycle as it less work than a fish-in, and you don't risk losing any fish if you get it wrong.

Can you not get a larger tank? 30l will limit the amount and types of fish you can have very severely as it's so small, and smaller tank are actually harder for newbies to look after as they are inherently unstable and more prone to potentially fatal swings in temperature and other parameters.

Hi Dan, In my experience a fish-in cycle not only significantly shortens the lifespan of your fish, it also can take nearly three times as long as a fishless cycle. When you have fish you need to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down so you don't kill your fish. Without fish you can get the levels pretty high which allows the bacteria to establish more quickly. I'm afraid the LFS is just as happy to sell you new fish when your 'cycling fish' die.

Dan

I have yet to finish my fishless cycle - it seems to be one of the long ones :( however to give you a very personal practical example of why I'm loving the fact I have not fish - yesteerday I made a bit of a school boy error and forgot to dechlorinate my water when doing a water change. That was bad enough when I thought I might have killed the bacteria - I can't think how bad I'd have felt it I might have shortened the fish's time! Also there have been times when we haven't been able to test / attend to the tank and because we have no fish it's no stress. If we had fish I would find it hard not to be doing a water change every day (or more often!) knowing that they're swimming in posion till I do a water change!

Fish in cycling is certainly possible (see the beginner's section) however I can't help feeling it must be more stressfull on everyone (fish included)! :)

Good luck and have a good read in the beginer's section - there's so much stuff in there which has been very useful.

Miles

Thanks for the replies

the fishless cycle seems to make more sense if its quicker, and also no harm to any fish.

i know i need a water testing kit which im about to buy. Where is the best place to get 100% ammonia? i know its got to be fragrance free etc.
is it something a LFS would stock, or somewhere like B&Q/Homebase?

You dont need 100% ammonia!! You need a 9.5% solution that is mostly available at shops like boots and big supermarkets :)

Yep, isn't imperative that it is 100% ammonia, just that the solution of ammonia is pure and does not contain any other chemicals or fragrances.

I'm fairly sure other members have got theirs from Homebase; Boots don't seem to carry it instore, but you can order it online.

Boots Ammonia -

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Household-ammonia-500ml_923908/

Kleen Off
Ebay (fast delivery)-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kleen-Off-Ammonia-Degreases-Removes-Stains-500ml-/230634130023?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item35b2dd8a67

The reason your fish store said it is best to add hardy fish is becuase they are in the buisness of selling them. So you buy a few, they die, you buy a few more, maybe they make it but will probably die, so the fishstore has made a £10 profit from you already.
Buy some ammonia its cheaper, fatser & not nasty to fish.

Tom

cheers tom

at what stage of the fishless cycle roughly is it safe for fish to be put in?

according to some sites and graphs, after about 21 days the nitrit levels peak

obviously it differs from tank to tank

dan

We normally recommend that you wait until you've had a week of 'double zeros' (so that's no trace of ammonia or nitrite with no water changes) before it's safe to add fish.

It does vary from tank to tank, but when you consider that you'll probably only ever have to do one fishless cycle (all your subsequent tanks can be 'cloned' or 'seeded' from that one filter) it's well worth the time; and the skills you learn (testing and water changing) are invaluable to you later in the hobby :good:

All cycles take different amounts of time. It can take as little as 4 weeks or a lot more.

My last one took 3 months :hyper: but that is the exception to the rule.

I would say a month is about average.

Tom

Most reactions

Back