Newbie Wanting Tank In Conservatory

Yea I know what you mean mattlee,

In the last few weeks my 33 gal tank hasn't been below 27.5 and has even hit 31 on the odd occasion simply due to the weather. The tank isnt in direct sunlight but it is in a room that gets sun all afternoon (hottest part of the day lol) I've tried alsorts to lower the temp, fans, windows open, iced bottles all have little effect.

Current fish in there are:

trio of apistogramma cacatuoide double red
pair of bolivian rams
7 sterbai
BN plec
albino rainbow shark
pair of swordtails

All the fish have been fine, thank god. Wish I lived in america so I had air conditioning :lol:

Andy

Yea I know what you mean mattlee,

In the last few weeks my 33 gal tank hasn't been below 27.5 and has even hit 31 on the odd occasion simply due to the weather. The tank isnt in direct sunlight but it is in a room that gets sun all afternoon (hottest part of the day lol) I've tried alsorts to lower the temp, fans, windows open, iced bottles all have little effect.

Current fish in there are:

trio of apistogramma cacatuoide double red
pair of bolivian rams
7 sterbai
BN plec
albino rainbow shark
pair of swordtails

All the fish have been fine, thank god. Wish I lived in america so I had air conditioning :lol:

Andy
it is very difficult to keep the water temps down during summer and aircon would be ideal.... most fish can tolerate high temps for short periods like when treating ich etc but it does them alot more harm when its constant.

So if I understand you guys, it is possible, if I look at fish that are reasonably comfortable in higher temps, what about winter, would I need two heaters, I am looking at a tank around the 60l size so would one 100watt be ok, also I presume algae is my next problem would plenty of plants help by competeing with algae, sorry to ask so much but I want to get this right and not go in with two left feet :unsure:

So if I understand you guys, it is possible, if I look at fish that are reasonably comfortable in higher temps, what about winter, would I need two heaters, I am looking at a tank around the 60l size so would one 100watt be ok, also I presume algae is my next problem would plenty of plants help by competeing with algae, sorry to ask so much but I want to get this right and not go in with two left feet :unsure:
2 heaters in a 60L tank may be too much and look unsightly, a 100W heater should be fine. for the on off summers we have i would say dont just look at warm water species just because its hot for a month or 2 as most fish will tolerate it for short periods.
live plants if looked after and dosed with ferts and carbon will help with algae as they will out compete the algae but you may still get a bit. if its an ongoing problem then there are algae eating species that can be of help. i have a siamese algae eater and a group of otocinclus that help my tank no end :good:

2 heaters in a 60L tank may be too much and look unsightly, a 100W heater should be fine. for the on off summers we have i would say dont just look at warm water species just because its hot for a month or 2 as most fish will tolerate it for short periods.
live plants if looked after and dosed with ferts and carbon will help with algae as they will out compete the algae but you may still get a bit. if its an ongoing problem then there are algae eating species that can be of help. i have a siamese algae eater and a group of otocinclus that help my tank no end :good:

I see what you mean about fish and tolerence for short periods, seems im not so limited on my choice of fish, thanks, as for the algae prob, if I had plenty of plants to compete, surely by adding fertilizer im feeding the algae as well,

I see what you mean about fish and tolerence for short periods, seems im not so limited on my choice of fish, thanks, as for the algae prob, if I had plenty of plants to compete, surely by adding fertilizer im feeding the algae as well,
without ferts many plants wont survive, adding ferts keeps the plants healthy and growing which out competes the algae when added in the correct dose

I am looking at the interpet 64lit fishpod, it comes with interpet deltatherm heater and pf1 filter, are these quality items as manufactuaras usually chuck in cheap extras, also lighting is a 15 watt bright daylight together with a 15 watt moonlight, both come on together daytime, but you can turn daylight bulb off at night leaving moon light on or off. this set up comes to £100,

or if you guys can reckomend something else at around my budget, ta.

Most reactions

Back