Newbie Needs Help Asap

Devorax

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if someone can offer some help, cos god knows I need it.
I recently bought a 60 litre tropical tank, gravel and plants. It has an Interpet PF2 internal filter, 2 lights (one blue, one white), and a heater. We set it up precisely to instructions, using Tapsafe and FilterStart. It was brought up to temperature using the heater and left to stand for approx 4 days. The local pet shop said it was okay to add a small amount of fish, as did the supplier of the tank (which is a well known national pet retailer) after this time.
A Rainbow Shark, a Clown Loach,5 Neons and 4 male Guppies was chosen. All seemed fine. Water was clear etc.
Approx 4 days after this, we added a couple more guppies, a goldfish, fancy Black Molly and another 5 neons. There was also 2 Dwarf Frogs 2 shrimps and an Apple Snail added to start assisting in the clean up that would be needed.
In this time we had noticed that the shark had taken up residence within the ornamental tower, allowing the loach the only other access. The loach remained hidden for hours on end only emerging for a few minutes at a time, and the shark was very aggressive toward the goldfish and the molly. It got so bad we had to move the 2 fish in to a seperate cold tank, in which they have done very well.
By this time we had started noticing the guppies' tails were splitting slowly from the outside and as the split got further toward the body, they became less active and when the split reached the body they died. We didn't know if this was just 'bad stock' or an illness.
About 48 hours after the second additions, we added Endlers Livebearers, some female Guppies, a Long Armed Shrimp, 2 Black Knives, 2 more Dawrf Frogs and another snail. By this time we were fishing out the dead guppies one each day.
Within 10 minutes of being released, the Long Arm Shrimp had caught and killed 1 Neon and mortally wounded a second. The shark began pursuing the Black Knives relentlessly. I went and immediately purchased 2 breeding boxes to place them in overnight so I could take them back to seller.
With the shark and shrimp removed, everybody else began showing improved attitudes, with the neons coming higher up the tank.
We were still losing a guppy a day, so thinking we had water imbalances, we tested the water. The Nitrite and Nitrate levels were very high, everything else was very low. We did a water change (approx 50%), added appropriate Tapsafe etc and left it overnight. We had also added 2 Clown Loaches, as we had discovered that to have 1 alone is 'inhumane'.
When we released the 2 Clown Loaches, we found accute Whitespot on them, so treated immediately. Within 4 hours the worst affected one was dead. So was a shrimp. Within 24 hours, the second new Clown Loach was dead, although he had much less whitepot, but he did have an odd looking mouth.
Then it went VERY bad. We started losing all sorts. A further water test showed very high Nitrite and Nitrate leves, so we added a Nitra Zorb sachet, and changed the water again (approx 1/3).
Asking around we found that no-one had an explaination for the high levels in the water. We were told to empty the tank, blitz clean it all out and start again. So we removed what was left in to a small hospital tank, only to immediately lose a Black Knife to what looks like Mouth Rot, followed very quickly by 2 Neons (which showed no signs of illness) and 2 Guppies. An Endler went overnight and now we are on the verge of giving up. We can't figure out what to do. We have given a dose of Anti Fungus And Finrot (interpet) and removed the filter. The bigger cleaned tank was restarted with 2 goldfish to see how they would fair. This time we added no chemicals to the water at all.
Now on the second day of the hospital tank, we are expecting to lose all life in it as all are moving slower and slower, plus the guppies are looking very wierd around their mouths as if they have something stuck in it.
I can appreciate that maybe we were overstocked, or that we added fish too soon after set-up, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to try to save what's left? This is particularly annoying as my daughter has a simple cold water set up that has 2 goldfish, 2 mollies and around 9 tetras that just seem to keep on growing, and they had no chemicals added to their tank whatsoever, and the fish were in the tank immediately after set-up once room temp was reached in the tank.
I am on the point of giving up, so any help out there?

Could you summarise what stock you now have? Not only were you massively overstocked but the fish you have been allowed to buy were largely not suitable for the set up you have. Eg the Clown Loach - they like to be in groups and grow large and need a much much bigger tank. I have a 260 litre and it is too small! I see you bought two more so had three - all you've done there is compound the problem.

The Guppies are probably having their fins nipped because of the overcrowding, neons shouldn't go in an unestablished tank and goldfish are not tropicals - they have very different needs, cold water and produce loads of waste.

You have high nitrite and nitrate levels and will also have off the scale ammonia levels as you do not have a cycled filter and the poor fish are in effect poisoning themselves.

Sorry I'm not having a go at all - you have been very badly advised and also have been taken advantage of. I think really you should take all the fish back and start from scratch as trying to do a fish in cycle with those stocking levels is just not going to succees.

There are more experienced members who will be along I'm sure but go and trawl through the pinned topics in the new to hobby section. You'll soon see where many of your problems lie. I feel for you I really do - and the poor fish.

Thank you for your concern. I dont mind putting in the work in if it means saving their lives, but when you think of the other cold tank being so easy to start up, it really gets me mad. I know there is a big difference in the running of tropical tanks to cold water but this has been really depressing. I would have thought that 3 seperate fish suppliers would have told me that we were doing something wrong, especially as one is a major on line retailer with over 400 stock tanks to choose from. It is just a case of the inexperienced newbie wanting a pretty aquarium as soon as possible and not knowing what he is doiung I suppose. Thanks for taking the time to read this topic and taking the trouble to answer.

you're very welcome - please do trawl the relevant sections of the forum and come back for more info.

One big thing to rememebr, particularly from shops is they are in this to make money and many not all, will happily sell you whatever you want and what they convince you you must have, bearing in mind most of us are rather impatient, but not what is necessarily right for you.

Good luck - I wish you all the best with this.

To save the rest add aquarium salt to help eliminate desease or fight it at least and water changes 10% every day or 2 in the hospital tank.

Things you may have done wrong mate:

Didnt leave the tank running long enough. Id have had it going for atleats a week and the tested it. Filter start isnt that great so it needs longer and bactinetts is great bacteria stuff to help with start your tank off.

You may have added too many fish in a short period of time. Ur tank should really have 15-20 fish tops overall and id have added a shoul 1st and left it a week then start introducing more slowley. They say a filter cannot handle a rapid amount of fish in at 1 time especially the 1st set you put in. It can screw ur levels right up if you dont take ur time.

The mixture of fish didnt sound right. They dont all sound like comunity fish which is why there attacking each other.

A big no no is to do a 50% water change. no matter what happens never take out more than 10% maybe 20% if desperate. in time the tank re-stables and u will loose fish in the process. That would be the reason u had the mass wipeout as u then did another 3rd of the tank after so thats about 70% of ur tank water changed so soon when ur tank is still very unstable at the start. It dont matter how much tap safe u put in it will never replace the bacteria u take out with that amount of water.

Id strongley advise that you maybe do the following.

Start over cleaning all stones first and putting filter aid and bactinetts in and run the tank with all the old sponges in the filter. Run atleast 1 week then test it with the test strips and do-not re add fish until its all stable.

Add 1 shoul of fish like 6 neons or danios and leave another week so there bacteria kick starts the filter even more but not to much to over do the filter.

Check all fish you put in are all compatible so theres no fighting...

Add no more than 15-20 fish to ur tank overall. Have 2 bottom feeders like a plecy and snail, A shoul of 6-8 neons or danios and the rest like mollies and guppys.

If u have the luck i have then ur tank should run perfect.

I had the same problems mate. I did a mass water change and then killed my tank off so i had to start over again and it took along time and alot of lessons. Any problems mate private message me and il help you out.

Kane

Sorry mate, but some of what you've written there just isn't true.

A big no no is to do a 50% water change. no matter what happens never take out more than 10% maybe 20% if desperate. in time the tank re-stables and u will loose fish in the process. That would be the reason u had the mass wipeout as u then did another 3rd of the tank after so thats about 70% of ur tank water changed so soon when ur tank is still very unstable at the start. It dont matter how much tap safe u put in it will never replace the bacteria u take out with that amount of water.

The bacteria that we need in aquaria are not free swimming at all, they cling to surfaces, like the substrate, rocks etc, but mainly (95%+) in the filter. You can quite happily throw out all your tank water and still retain 99.5% of your bacteria. If you read a few threads on this forum, you'll find a lot of people (myself included) change at least 30% of their water on a weekly basis, with no problems whatsoever. People that keep sensitive fish such as discus will change out even more.l

In this particular case, the levels of ammonia etc that have built up were killing the fish - even if the bacteria were in the water, first aid principles would dictate that the removal of toxins is way more important (at least at this stage) than culturing the bacteria.

As for the rest of it, what you're talking about is a fish-in cycle, which, in order to remove the toxins, it is essential to do regular water changes, daily or even twice daily.

Whilst I appreciate all the various advice offered, I do not wish to cause other people to start arguing with each other about the quality of each other's advice. Whilst I do respect the intentions of all concerned, I am learning quite quickly (thanks to this site) which is the better advice to take against that which isn't. I mean no offence to anyone and I thank you all for taking an interest. Rest assured that I do take the time to read all posts relating to my problem and I am attempting to remedy accordingly and for those with a continuing interest, I will keep updating when there is news. I just hope it will all be worthwhile.

Whilst I appreciate all the various advice offered, I do not wish to cause other people to start arguing with each other about the quality of each other's advice. Whilst I do respect the intentions of all concerned, I am learning quite quickly (thanks to this site) which is the better advice to take against that which isn't. I mean no offence to anyone and I thank you all for taking an interest. Rest assured that I do take the time to read all posts relating to my problem and I am attempting to remedy accordingly and for those with a continuing interest, I will keep updating when there is news. I just hope it will all be worthwhile.

stick at it mate the rewards in the long run will be worthwhile!!!!

I agree with redeyeUK on the issues raised here to be fair.

There are two types of cycles for the tank that you can do one being a fish in cycle and one being a fishless cycle however, even during a fishless cycle i managed to mess the whole thing up and had to start all over again!! so unfortunately mistakes are common place and the way in which we learn and get better........try and take the positives here are two that spring to mind straight away;

1) you are now asking accomplished aquarium keepers for assistance and to date my experience on these boards has been that their input is invaluable and you will learn a lot, i'm even helping other 'newbies' with fishless cycling to ensure they dont make the errors that i made....
2) you have successfully completed this process before in your other tank and so there is no reason to give up now!

one other piece of advice that i was given is that neons are typically difficult fish to keep in new tanks, they are problematic and need to be homed in mature tanks / filter systems typically 6mths +.

So the way i see it you start again with a fish in cycle or a fishless cycle (i prefer the later as it is kinder to the fish IMO) and take the time it takes to cycle your tank researching the fish that you want in there and the compatibility of these fish.....

I know it's difficult to look at an empty tank (i've had mine 6 weeks now with nothing but a couple of pieces of bogwood and some bubbles for company) and it does get frustrating but time spent now researching and establishing your bacterial colony really will pay dividends later.

I travelled the same route as you coldwater set up first (with lots of bad advice and fish loss) and then moved into the tropical game. I agree with pammy that unfortuantely the larger scale fish shops are businesses that are ultimately looking to make money. Before you put a fish in it doesnt take 5 mins to check with someone on here who can advise as to its suitability, vulnerability etc the guys on here respond really quickly so you will have an answer prior to you putting the fish in........

welcome by the way ha ha ha :hi:

dont give up, those things that dont kill us only make us stronger..............!

now get some research done..... :D

Phil

Sorry to hear from your losses, but unfortunately youve been lead down the wrong path which has resulted.

im a newbie to all this too, so i have learnt about the cycle, and unfortunately 4 days is not enough for a cycle.

what you was advised on doing was a fish in cycle by adding your first lot of fish, then it would be a matter of testing the water daily to make sure the levels dont escalate then when levels are the same for maybe 3-4 days consecutive then its cycled.

then you can add more fish slowly so the levels dont escalate again.

also the fish youve added arent compatable: the clown loach requires massive tanks and requires to be in shaols, goldfish are cold water fish, sharks can be viscious and need room to make a section of the tank their own(cant think of the right word).

i thibnk the best thing you can do is try to re-home most of your fish, and start from scratch, and do it properly and in the end you will reap the benefits

best of luck!! :good:

:sad: Hi Devorax,

As suggested Take a look at some og the pinned items in the new to hobby section. Your greatest read would be the cycling article to give you a quick understanding of how it all works and will give you an understanding of why your fish are dying :sad:

It sounds to me that the fish are being poisoned by Ammonia and Nitrites. Both of which are detramental to fish. both of these should not really be registering on your test kits.

You are now in a fish in cycle which now requires alot of water changes so you do not harm the fish any more. Most people now end up having to change 25-50% of the water(with dechlorinator of course) 1-2 even 3 times a day to keep the ammonia and nitrites at 0. I have seen recommendations of once you see 0.25 ammonia of nitrite do a water change. After the change test the water an hour later and see if there are still any of the nitrite or ammonia.

Unfortunalty I have now learnt :grr: that most fish shops are in it for the money and have your failures in their best interest as this leads to them getting more money. If they were fair dinkum(aussie slang) they would have told you what we all have told you already. Instead they sold you mediactions for the fish(more money). I would guess that the white spot was cuased by the fish being stressed from the ammonia.

Good luck and keep doing water changes until you do not get a reading. If you do not have an ammonia test kit GET ONE. It can take 6 weeks to cycle a tank with fish in cycle.

CHEERS
Thommo

Hi, without meaning to sound rude, but this thread has been followed up under the Emergencies forum, look for 'AAARRRGGHH!' lol. But to answer your question, we now have:
1 Clown Loach, 1 BGK, 5 Roseboras (juvenile), 4 Danios (juvenile), 8 Neons, 1 Dwarf Frog, 2 Apple Snails, and approx 5 Endlers. Sounds like a lot but that is around half maybe of what we did have.

If anyone is still following this thread, I bought an ammonia liquid tester kit today. I tested the hospital tank, came back with a reading of 1mg/l so did a 50% water change. I also switched the filter back on. I must say that despite the loss of 2 dwarf frogs (there is now only 1), I am feeling a lot more hopeful as the survivors are looking a lot healthier. They are becoming active and do not show signs that they had been through their ordeal.
The main aquarium (now fish-in cycling) showed ammonia of 0.2mg/l and has been left as it is, apart from some filtersafe added. I will monitor the levels closely to see if there is any improvement here.
The cold water tank was tested with shocking results. The level here was almost off the scale, despite healthy fish that just seem to grow and grow and grow and...lol A 50% water change has been done and we will monitor closely.
Obviously I am continuing with water changes when needed to the hospital tank (at around 2 a day so far) and if anything new crops up, I will post it here.
As a passing thought, would it be fair to remove the 2 goldfish from the main aquarium and put 3 baby guppies in instead? I know they need the best possible start in life but ATM they are in a 'goldfish bowl'. The babies are at least 9 days old (they were given from a LFS already 3mm long) and seem to be okay.

Most reactions

Back