Newbie From Belfast N.i.

Hello everyone :D ,

Just discovered this place and thought i'd introduce myself. I've been keeping african cichlids for about 3 years now, started off with a 2 footer in my living room which housed 3 1 inch yellow labs, as the fish grew so did the addiction, now i have 3 fairly large (95 gall, 125 gall, and a 150 gall) tanks and an angry girlfriend who made me put them all in the shed in the back garden :crazy: .

Northern Ireland, or 'Norn Iron' as we say :) , doesnt have too many shops to choose from when it comes to african cichlids, even the bigger shops mostly stock guppies, platies, mollies, barbs, tetras etc etc, if your really lucky they might even have a 'mixed african' tank, which roughly translated means ' MONGREL ', lol.
At the minute i am keeping yellow labs (Labidochromis caeruleus), Cobalt Zebra (Metriaclima Callainos), Golden Auratus (Melanochromis auratus), Haplochromis Sp44 or Red Tail, Rustys (Iodotropheus sprengerae), Neolamprologus leleupi sometimes called 'lemon cichlid', and various kenyi zebra crossbred types bought from 'mixed african' tanks at my local pet store :look: .

Apart from the leleupi i have bred and raised all of these fish without too much effort, giving the juvenile fish away, sometimes even keeping the most promising young 'uns and giving away the parents. The thing is everyone i know is at max stocking levels with all the fish i give em, so its pointless trying to raise anymore fry and i hate to watch them get eaten in the main tanks.

The 125 gall tank at the minute is sitting empty due to lack of choice, anyone here from 'Norn Iron' know of any good shops or local breeders for cichlids ?, anyone ever had fish delivered from mainland UK ?, any mainland sites ive found dont guarantee live arrival for N.I. and that sort of puts me off buying new fish from them :/ .

Anyway, hello to you all again and please post and help me with my addiction, im starting to cold turkey and only new fish will ease the pain :D .
i have got im my 4 ft tank 4 parrot fish, only when i read up information on them after buying them 2 years ago they are a hybread fish not even in the books i dont know how to sex them at all , so when one of them lays eggs like i have had before i dont know which one of them is the mother. my biggest one is about 8 inc big ay, it is very greedy and loves to look at its self in the bowed fornt of the glass lol. how do i know if my fish have been dyed because if i have had them for about two years now wont they have ment to have lost there colour. i have a bright blue one a alumunus pink one and a bright green one and a large yellow one and not one of them has lost there colour. i also have a range of fish from a pepppermint pleco an albino pleco and a lepord sail fin pleco, the sail fin is the biggest. lol but beautiful. i have a ruby tailed shark and two large silver sharks, they have funny carictors lol i have an alnino cat fish, and a clown loach. i feed all these fish on blood worm and chiclid food and somtimes dries food, oh and of coarse pleco wafers for the plecs. i like to feed them a lil bit of cucumber with the skin took of from round the edge. my fish love that lol

Most reactions

Back