Newbie betta questions

I think a 5G is perfect if you don't add any other fish. A 50watt heater would work, though even a 25watt heater is probably enough. Any filter will work as long as the flow is not too strong. My bettas love Jave ferns. Anything with big broad leaves that they can rest on or hide in. The closer to the surface, the better. You can use gravel or sand, though I think sand is better personally. Bettas are susceptible to fin rot, especially if you let ammonia creep up. I would keep a close eye on your ammonia levels, and you should be fine. Good luck! Bettas are my favorite fish. Wonderful pets.
Initially this is meant to be a QT but its not used much so I thought I’d try to make it a planted tank.
I’ve always fancied having a betta so toying with the idea of adding one betta in after everything is up and running.
It’s definitely only going to be one fish in the tank hence why I thought betta would be perfect.

Still lots to do and will take it slowly :)

I know fake background is matter of taste but I’ve got black background in my 38g and thought would try something new. Besides I’ve got this for free lol.

AA9DD34A-2856-46CA-A5C7-348C64C07C15.jpeg

Looking good so far! That is a nice depth of sand for live plants. :good:

1) 5 gallons is fine for a betta.
2) A 50 watt heater is best. I use the Zacro heater in my betta tank, and it works great.
You will need a lid on the tank. Not only will this help with the evaporation, but bettas are also great jumpers.
3) Sponge filters are best, but as long as it doesn't have too much flow, it will be fine.
4) This question was already answered, but I recommend getting some plants with broad leaves for your betta to rest on. I would also recommend the betta hammock. My betta sleeps on his every night.
6) Bettas can get fin rot. But, this is easily treatable with some aquarium salt, as long as you catch it early enough.

As Adorabelle said, bettas love to have things that they can swim into. In my profile pic, you can see my betta in his little temple. Bettas also like tight spaces. You shouldn't put in anything so tight that he could get stuck, but something small enough to make him feel nice and secure.
Here is a pic of my tank. It's an old photo, so it looks a little different now, but it gives you an idea for what I mean with the hides.

(Underneath the temple is a small clay pot that has one flat side. The entrance is partially covered by plants, but my betta loves to sit in there.)

Mooki's tank.jpeg

1) 5 gallons is fine for a betta.
2) A 50 watt heater is best. I use the Zacro heater in my betta tank, and it works great.
You will need a lid on the tank. Not only will this help with the evaporation, but bettas are also great jumpers.
3) Sponge filters are best, but as long as it doesn't have too much flow, it will be fine.
4) This question was already answered, but I recommend getting some plants with broad leaves for your betta to rest on. I would also recommend the betta hammock. My betta sleeps on his every night.
6) Bettas can get fin rot. But, this is easily treatable with some aquarium salt, as long as you catch it early enough.

As Adorabelle said, bettas love to have things that they can swim into. In my profile pic, you can see my betta in his little temple. Bettas also like tight spaces. You shouldn't put in anything so tight that he could get stuck, but something small enough to make him feel nice and secure.
Here is a pic of my tank. It's an old photo, so it looks a little different now, but it gives you an idea for what I mean with the hides.

(Underneath the temple is a small clay pot that has one flat side. The entrance is partially covered by plants, but my betta loves to sit in there.)

View attachment 117971
Thanks is buddy, that’s lovely tank and betta you have there :)

I plan to get a cover for the tank and currently have a temp Perspex cover. Never had jumpers before so need to be a bit careful.

I have plants with very broad leaves in my main tank but they are too tall for this tank. I will see if I can get some Anubis.

The tank gets a little sunlight shining towards it from about 5 feet away. It’s just a little in the morning. Will this be ok?

Last edited:
Sorry if these sounds like silly questions in advance.
  1. I plan to go for blue male non crown tail betta splendens. Is there anything to be aware of interns if sex and colour choices? i.e does one grow bigger and require more space?
  2. The shop also sells giant Siamese fighting fish. Visually the only difference are the fins and the body looks slightly bigger. Anyone have experience in this?

The tank gets a little sunlight shining towards it from about 5 feet away. It’s just a little in the morning. Will this be ok?

If you want to grow plants, you will need to get a light. Nicrew lights are pretty cheap, but they grow plants really well.

I plan to go for blue male non crown tail betta splendens. Is there anything to be aware of interns if sex and colour choices? i.e does one grow bigger and require more space?

The color and gender will not change how you care for your betta.
What do you mean by non crown tail betta? There are lots of different tail types including plakat, spedetail, hafmoon, delta tail, etc. Just keep in mind that bettas with longer fins are more likely to nip their fins, and they could develop swimming problems as they grow older.

The shop also sells giant Siamese fighting fish. Visually the only difference are the fins and the body looks slightly bigger. Anyone have experience in this?

I have not had experience with the giant bettas, but I would not put one of them in a 5 gallon. I think a 10 gallon would be more suitable.

If you want to grow plants, you will need to get a light. Nicrew lights are pretty cheap, but they grow plants really well.

The color and gender will not change how you care for your betta.
What do you mean by non crown tail betta? There are lots of different tail types including plakat, spedetail, hafmoon, delta tail, etc. Just keep in mind that bettas with longer fins are more likely to nip their fins, and they could develop swimming problems as they grow older.

I have not had experience with the giant bettas, but I would not put one of them in a 5 gallon. I think a 10 gallon would be more suitable.
The shop I get my fish from has betta with ragged fins which they call “crown tails”. I prefer the normal ones anyway.

Crown tail :http://www.tropco.co.uk/female-crown-tail-siamese-fighting-fish-3cm-p-3051.html

this is the one I’m thinking to go for : http://www.tropco.co.uk/male-siamese-fighting-fish-5cm-p-2017.html

I splashed out and got thie Nicrew light, it comes with timer so I don't have to plug in an additional timer : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082CVJXS3/?tag=

Also got this submersible 50W heater which comes with temp display for convenience. From reviews it looks pretty good :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X22VL4W/?tag=

This is the filter I've got, I quite like the internal multi stage filtration, hopefully the flow would be ok :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00169TISE/?tag=

Will look at some plants next.

Love shopping for new tank :p

The filter is tiny (about 6” tall) but flow is quite strong. It has deflector but not doing much. Might see now the tank fares with plant before decide if suitable for betta.

NICREW light is awesome with 24/7 cycle and weather effects. I was under impression it’s possible to adjust length of cycle but looks like I’m mistaken. Light stays of 12 midnight till 6. It’s pretty bright though.

Please excuse wires, still work in progress

Pretty happy with the clips I’ve bought though. Quite a lot of overhang on them.Just need the Perspex to arrive to complete the cover.

506F948B-950D-4AB5-9420-8D190D080F7C.jpeg
0B83B5A3-2EA1-47D8-9DAC-3810A1ABA74B.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s the ideal tank temp for betta? Would 24-25C be ok?

If the flow is a bit strong, will it stress the betta?

Yes. If it isn't wild caught, any amount of flow will result in exhaustion and perhaps death.
Ok, perhaps I need to re-consider my option of filter. I can see some particles swirling around the tank to I think that would be too much flow.
I can use this as QT filter if required.

I had a look at sponge filters but the ones I see are powered by an air pump. This will definitely also cause flow in a tank, especially a small one.

Can anyone with small tank (perfebly 5gallons) advise what filter setup they have?

Last edited:
Ok, perhaps I need to re-consider my option of filter. I can see some particles swirling around the tank to I think that would be too much flow.
I can use this as QT filter if required.

I had a look at sponge filters but the ones I see are powered by an air pump. This will definitely also cause flow in a tank, especially a small one.

Can anyone with small tank (perfebly 5gallons) advise what filter setup they have?
You can sometimes use sponge, or even some driftwood or plants, to baffle the output so it isn't blowing across the tank so hard.

Most reactions

Back