Newbie betta questions

jonnyc88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've got a 20L/5g open top tank lying around and might have a perfect place for a betta tank but I have a few questions, as I'm new to this species.

Nothing is certain at this point in time, I'm just gauging if it would be suitable.
The betta would be the only fish in the tank if I do go ahead.

Here goes my questions:
1) Is 20L/5g tank too small for single betta? Assuming there is no other fish in the tank
2) What heater to get in a 5G open top tank? My concern is that the water will evaporate. Do I need a cover?
3) What filter to get? I'm thinking of Eheim in-tank filters (something like pickup 45),something with gentle flow
4) Is it ok having silk plants in the tank? Otherwise, what plants are best for bettas?
5) For subtrate I plan to just use gravel. I have some in the garden which I will wash and clean. Is this ok or what would be the ideal substrate?
6) Assuming that I keep on top of water parameters, weekly water changes etc is there anything that I should be aware of concerning having a betta? Are they especially susceptible to anything?

I've got a 20L/5g open top tank lying around and might have a perfect place for a betta tank but I have a few questions, as I'm new to this species.

Nothing is certain at this point in time, I'm just gauging if it would be suitable.

Here goes my questions:
1) Is 20L/5g tank too small for single betta? Assuming there is no other fish in the tank
2) What heater to get in a 5G open top tank? My concern is that the water will evaporate. Do I need a cover?
3) What filter to get? I'm thinking of Eheim in-tank filters (something like pickup 45),something with gentle flow
4) Is it ok having silk plants in the tank? Otherwise, what plants are best for bettas?
5) For subtrate I plan to just use gravel. I have some in the garden which I will wash and clean. Is this ok or what would be the ideal substrate?
6) Assuming that I keep on top of water parameters, weekly water changes etc is there anything that I should be aware of concerning having a betta? Are they especially susceptible to anything?
1. No. If it is a short-finned variety it should be ok. Bigger is better though.
2. You will need a heater for a betta tank. I can't recommend an exact heater, but 50 watts should be optimal.
3. Sponge filters. HOB can provide too much flow. I don't know about interior filters.
4. I'd recommend live plants. All plants will be fine, just be mindful of placement so the betta can't get caught between things.
5. Bettas aren't technically bottom dwellers so gravel should be fine. Wash thoroughly.
6. I won't comment, I'm not a betta keeper. @Deanasue @PheonixKingZ

Cheers @HoldenOn. Not really familiar with sponge filters, I've only ever used canister filters.

Is this what you mean : Amazon link
Looks like it's driven by air pump. I have a very small air pump with I use in QT tank which I don't think would be suitable for this...

For to ask about lighting. Area the tank might be housed always has adequate lighting, either ambient or from bulbs. Do I need an LED light that hangs over the tank? I'm worried that it might be too bright. I have a desk light but the bulbs are warm white. Not too sure if that would be suitable?

I suppose if I go with live plants I would need some kind of lighting. Sorry for all the questions, this is my first small tank. :)

1) No, it’s not to small. A 10g is preferable.
2) A cover is recommended, as bettas are known jumpers, and the water will evaporate much faster.
3) No comment.
4) Yes, silk plants are OK. Live plants are better for the fish and tank IMO.
5) Any substrate is OK, I prefer sand.
6) Not any real concerns, bettas are quite hardy.

1) No, it’s not to small. A 10g is preferable.
2) A cover is recommended, as bettas are known jumpers, and the water will evaporate much faster.
3) No comment.
4) Yes, silk plants are OK. Live plants are better for the fish and tank IMO.
5) Any substrate is OK, I prefer sand.
6) Not any real concerns, bettas are quite hardy.
I have some black Limpopo sand leftover and could use that. Just thought betta prefers bigger gravel.

I’ll see if I can get a cover for the tank before deciding further.

Would appreciate advice about filter and lights though :)

I have some black Limpopo sand leftover and could use that. Just thought betta prefers bigger gravel.

I’ll see if I can get a cover for the tank before deciding further.

Would appreciate advice about filter and lights though :)
That’s a misconception... having large pebbles are a bad idea for bettas, because food will get stuck in there, and the betta may get his head stuck/injured.

It’s your personal preference. (Sand or gravel)

That’s a misconception... having large pebbles are a bad idea for bettas, because food will get stuck in there, and the betta may get his head stuck/injured.

It’s your personal preference. (Sand or gravel)
In that case I'd go with what I'm familiar with, sand :)

I've put this filter on my 3 gallon cube that houses a betta. I like it because you can adjust the flow and it's very quiet. Lots of room for media. And also not too costly lol. I've had it running for several months with no issues thus far. They make larger sizes, I liked it so much on my betta tank that I actually threw out my internal filter on my community tank and put the larger size on my 20 gallon. In a smaller tank I prefer to not have an internal filter because it takes up valuable space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X63WRZC/?tag=ff0d01-20

Lighting would depend on if you decide to go with plants and/or what plants you get. I use this one on my betta tank, in which I have water sprite and java ferns.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QQ9K3R9/?tag=ff0d01-20

I've put this filter on my 3 gallon cube that houses a betta. I like it because you can adjust the flow and it's very quiet. Lots of room for media. And also not too costly lol. I've had it running for several months with no issues thus far. They make larger sizes, I liked it so much on my betta tank that I actually threw out my internal filter on my community tank and put the larger size on my 20 gallon. In a smaller tank I prefer to not have an internal filter because it takes up valuable space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X63WRZC/?tag=ff0d01-20

Lighting would depend on if you decide to go with plants and/or what plants you get. I use this one on my betta tank, in which I have water sprite and java ferns.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QQ9K3R9/?tag=ff0d01-20

Thanks buddy. I have decided to go planted as not really big fan of fake plants.

I'll keep it minimal though due to size of tank. Currently going for x1 Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus Tropica), x1 Water Sprite ( Ceratopteris thalictroides) and x3 Moss balls (Cladophora aegagropila).
The Tropica plants are pretty good as they don't come with hitchhikers from past experience.

I will have a look at the filter and lights cheers :)
I'm pretty partial to the Interpret Mini as it has small footprint and adjustable flow : Amazon link

Sounds like a good plan! That filter seems fine to me. It's mainly personal preference :) it's bigger than an intake from an HOB would be, but certainly not big enough to make a noticeable impact on swimming space.

For reference, my 3 gallon cube has 3 medium sized microsorum pteropus and 3 medium sized ceratopteris thalictroides. I like the "jungle" look but I would consider it on the higher end of moderately planted.

Sounds like a good plan! That filter seems fine to me. It's mainly personal preference :) it's bigger than an intake from an HOB would be, but certainly not big enough to make a noticeable impact on swimming space.

For reference, my 3 gallon cube has 3 medium sized microsorum pteropus and 3 medium sized ceratopteris thalictroides. I like the "jungle" look but I would consider it on the higher end of moderately planted.

I will see how the plants look after planting and go from there :) Would prefer to have some space for betta to swim around. It's a tall rather than long tank to need to be bit careful with the planning.

I've ordered the filter, heater and lights. Feel so excited :) I will take things really slow this time around to make sure everything is perfect before considering the betta.

One question, is there a limit of how long until you can introduce fish to a new tank?
Can I say introduce the fish a month after finish cycling? So basically just running a cycled, planted tank for a month without fish.

One question, is there a limit of how long until you can introduce fish to a new tank?
Can I say introduce the fish a month after finish cycling? So basically just running a cycled, planted tank for a month without fish.
You can keep running it without stocking it by feeding the 'snack' dose of ammonia to keep the bacteria fed. Have a read of the cycling thread, it covers this too :)

I prefer the idea of sand for bettas because they're kinda a lazy fish sometimes (especially the big finned varieties, it's hard work carrying those big tails around) and plenty of bettas rest and sleep on the substrate, so I imagine sand is more comfortable if they do.

I'd suggest getting a tall, broad leafed plant like a big anubius. Bettas like to rest on leaves, and having one near the surface is ideal for them, it's why you see those leaf shaped betta hammocks for sale. Since you're going with live plants anyway, that's what I'd do. Floating plants too.

@FishFinatic77 also taught me that bettas like a hide, a little house or cave or something they can hide and rest in, hers is in her profile pic :)

Definitely need a lid or cover of some sort, bettas are famed jumpers.

Can't help with filters, heaters or lights, but there are lots of products out there now for nano tanks, shouldn't be hard to find what you need!

Good luck and share pics! :D

You can keep running it without stocking it by feeding the 'snack' dose of ammonia to keep the bacteria fed. Have a read of the cycling thread, it covers this too :)

I prefer the idea of sand for bettas because they're kinda a lazy fish sometimes (especially the big finned varieties, it's hard work carrying those big tails around) and plenty of bettas rest and sleep on the substrate, so I imagine sand is more comfortable if they do.

I'd suggest getting a tall, broad leafed plant like a big anubius. Bettas like to rest on leaves, and having one near the surface is ideal for them, it's why you see those leaf shaped betta hammocks for sale. Since you're going with live plants anyway, that's what I'd do. Floating plants too.

@FishFinatic77 also taught me that bettas like a hide, a little house or cave or something they can hide and rest in, hers is in her profile pic :)

Definitely need a lid or cover of some sort, bettas are famed jumpers.

Can't help with filters, heaters or lights, but there are lots of products out there now for nano tanks, shouldn't be hard to find what you need!

Good luck and share pics! :D

Cheers! Lots of food for thought :)

Here goes my questions:

I think a 5G is perfect if you don't add any other fish. A 50watt heater would work, though even a 25watt heater is probably enough. Any filter will work as long as the flow is not too strong. My bettas love Jave ferns. Anything with big broad leaves that they can rest on or hide in. The closer to the surface, the better. You can use gravel or sand, though I think sand is better personally. Bettas are susceptible to fin rot, especially if you let ammonia creep up. I would keep a close eye on your ammonia levels, and you should be fine. Good luck! Bettas are my favorite fish. Wonderful pets.

Most reactions

Back