New To The Hobby And I Used A Wrong Ammonia

LynnJ

Reaction score
First of all I would like to say hey to all Members. I just purchased a 30 Gallon tank long with the most fittings and fixtures (still saving for the light). I set this up couple of weeks ago and followed the instructions on fishless Cycling. After all these days I was watching close my ammonia and it was all-fine but it recently dropped to 0 and no trace of nitrate yet. But coming to read the forum again I found the ammonia I used was the odorless one (clear) I did shake before I bought it and found no bubblesm but I didn't know the ammonia is not supposed to have any other ingredients till today. Mine it has this surfactant ingredient in it.

Now what should I do? It has been in my tank for more that two weeks…should I take it down and start over or just change the water and get he pure ammonia and add in it? Is this ingredient harmful to the fish?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to TFF. :hi:

I'm afraid you need to start again. Drain all the water, clean out the tank, refill and away you go with the proper ammonia solution.

Sorry to bring bad news. You must be gutted? :sad:

What happens if you cycle with the wrong ammonia?

Does it fail to cycle? Does it cause fish-health problems later on? Something else?

it may cause health problems since the other chemicals in it may be damaging to the fish.

Some surfactants are used as detergents and the term detergent is sometimes used for surfactants in general. In ammonia, they are usually there as grease cutters. They could end up killing the fish once the tank is stocked.

Some surfactants are used as detergents and the term detergent is sometimes used for surfactants in general. In ammonia, they are usually there as grease cutters. They could end up killing the fish once the tank is stocked.
Thanks.. I am going to take all the water down and wash the gravel ...but where can I get pure ammonia then? .... I live in Northen NJ

Walmart has it as does most grocery stores. It usually says clear ammonia. The brand Walmart used to sell was Sea Mist but not sure if that's the one now or not.

Homebase and Boots :good:

Walmart has it as does most grocery stores. It usually says clear ammonia. The brand Walmart used to sell was Sea Mist but not sure if that's the one now or not.
I got this one from Wal mart and it was clear but the brand is not the one you mention. I will have to check other stores.

One more question while I am waiting for the right ammonia can I keep adding fish flakes? I read some people use that... I was starting to do that incase ...I can't find anywhere to get pure ammonia nearby me....that will be my only option

You can add fish flakes but I would suggest putting them in something such as a bag so that they don't get all over the tank and make a mess, especially if you use gravel where they can get down in the gravel.

Most reactions

Back