New to the forum

Yes you would, you'd be doing large weekly water changes with fish in the tank.

What are your nitrate levels in both tap water and tank water? Because many regions have nitrate in tap water we need to test that so we know if the nitrate in the tank comes from tap water or if it's being made in the tank by the bacteria.

Yes you would, you'd be doing large weekly water changes with fish in the tank.

What are your nitrate levels in both tap water and tank water? Because many regions have nitrate in tap water we need to test that so we know if the nitrate in the tank comes from tap water or if it's being made in the tank by the bacteria.

I havent yet tested the nitrate levels any were (I thought I needed to wait till I had Nitrite to do this)

Do I need to do a Nitrate test on both tank water and tap water when home? (A little confused) sorry.

I was just wondering why ammonia is going down but there's still no nitrite. There is a vague chance the ammonia has gone straight to nitrate (extremely unlikely, but still just about possible) and testing for nitrate would tell us if it has. Lets say you test and find x ppm nitrate in the tank water. Testing your tap water would show whether that is also x ppm, in which case the nitrate in the tank has all come from the tap water; or if tap water's lower than that, some is being made in the tank.

Of course ammonia is a gas so it will gas out of the water over time, so that could be where the ammonia you added is going.

I was just wondering why ammonia is going down but there's still no nitrite. There is a vague chance the ammonia has gone straight to nitrate (extremely unlikely, but still just about possible) and testing for nitrate would tell us if it has. Lets say you test and find x ppm nitrate in the tank water. Testing your tap water would show whether that is also x ppm, in which case the nitrate in the tank has all come from the tap water; or if tap water's lower than that, some is being made in the tank.

Of course ammonia is a gas so it will gas out of the water over time, so that could be where the ammonia you added is going.

Hmmm, okay when I get home, I will upload a picture of the substrate I used and do a test for Nitrate in the tank and from the tap. Then I will let you know. Will be around 18:20

Its also quite tricky I think to distinguish on the colour chart the "green" when testing the ammonia, they are quite similar shades.

Attachments

• 67BE6AB3-37D6-4475-9193-095371559962.jpeg
    67BE6AB3-37D6-4475-9193-095371559962.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 23
  • BE0CED70-84CC-4CD1-9A8E-8222E0478798.jpeg
    BE0CED70-84CC-4CD1-9A8E-8222E0478798.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 0F9E1159-E970-4229-AF3D-BE01FF179B29.jpeg
    0F9E1159-E970-4229-AF3D-BE01FF179B29.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 24
So no nitrate in either tap or tank water so that's not where the ammonia is going. It's probably gassing out of the water.

I've not used that gravel/sand myself but other members have. I'm pretty sure it's inert - it won't change pH.

I'm not sure.

I think if it was me I'd empty all the water, refill and add ammonia to 3 ppm again. Still keep testing every three days. This won't harm any bacteria you've already grown provided you use dechlorinator to remove chlorine, but doing this sometimes seems to kick start things.

I'm not sure.

I think if it was me I'd empty all the water, refill and add ammonia to 3 ppm again. Still keep testing every three days. This won't harm any bacteria you've already grown provided you use dechlorinator to remove chlorine, but doing this sometimes seems to kick start things.
I wasn’t expecting that 😳

So I need to…

Remove all the water
Fill it back up (what about the temperature) ?
Then…. Add dechlorinator
Then (how long after) add ammonia ?

For some reason, all new water seems to get things going.

Remove all water.
Refill with water warmed to the same temp at the old water
If filling with a bucket, add dechlorinator to each bucketful at the dose rate for the amount of water in each bucket; if using a hose, add the dechlorinator as soon as there's a couple of cm in the bottom of the tank - and add enough to dose all the new water. You need to make sure no undechlorinated water touches any bacteria in there. The biofilm, where the bacteria live, is not fully formed yet so it can't protect the bacteria properly.
Add the ammonia as soon as you've finished adding water.

For some reason, all new water seems to get things going.

Remove all water.
Refill with water warmed to the same temp at the old water
If filling with a bucket, add dechlorinator to each bucketful at the dose rate for the amount of water in each bucket; if using a hose, add the dechlorinator as soon as there's a couple of cm in the bottom of the tank - and add enough to dose all the new water. You need to make sure no undechlorinated water touches any bacteria in there. The biofilm, where the bacteria live, is not fully formed yet so it can't protect the bacteria properly.
Add the ammonia as soon as you've finished adding water.

Okay, I will be filling with a 5 litre bucket
My tank can hold 160 litres (if filled to the top with no substrate) so I recon there is 150 litres in there

It says add 3ml of “tap water conditioner” for every 60l of water

So I make that 7.5 ml of dechlorinator for my 150 litres of water

However 150 litres to fill with a 5 litre tub (to the top) means 30 fills - im not sure how I’m going to split 7.5ml into 30… does that make sense @Essjay

I’m worried I’m going to mess this up and be back to square one

Is it not just a matter of time? Eventually the nitrite should appear? Or is there a chance it won’t?

Last edited:
Anyway it’s been really bugging me so I got up at 6am and did the water. I did it bucket by bucket and added in the dechlorinator, then ammonia at the end. How long should I give it before testing? @Essjay

The easiest way to add small amounts is by using a syringe. I have various sizes - 10 ml, 5ml, 2.5 ml and 1 ml. The 1 ml is graduated in 1/100 ml, very useful for really tiny amounts. It is better to remove the chlorine before it goes in the tank.

When adding things to a tank, wait about 30 minutes before testing to allow it to mix in thoroughly. The filter will move the water round to mix it all in.

You are not starting right at the beginning because you've already done 23 days of cycling so there will be some bacteria in there; you just need to grow more of them. We've had members in the past who did a big water change then the cycle started quite soon after.

Most reactions

Back