New To Tff And Tf Handling.

Hey, im new to TFF. I am a 21year old Marine and Natural History photography student in Cornwall, iv'e got into the TF handling since i came up with the idea that i wanted to document the behaviour etc of fish in a tank as i can no longer dive and am missing out on a great part of my course.

After talking to a Maidenhead Aquatics based company in a near by garden centre iv'e gone for a Aquatropic AT80 110litres which seems to be a good starting point and size for me as i have got to get a camera in there as well as having a good diversity. This tank also comes with dual lighting, heater and pump.

I have all my tank decorations i wished to go for, all organic and real material based and my centre piece being a very nice naturally sculptured piece of oak wood from Cornwall.

Shopping list of fish i will be looking into once ive done my fishless tank cycle:

Live plants once ive got the tank setup also (is it best to add them before the fish or after ive got a stable tank with life?)
1x Starlight Bristlenose Catfish
6x Cherry Barbs
......and that is as far as ive gotten. Can anyone recommend breeds that have of your knowledge interesting habits or breeding habits that will go well with the fish that i have chosen already.

I do not move into my new house until September 1st so im doing my research and note taking before i start my setup. When i get moved in i will add pictures and logs of my fishless cycles.

Hey, im new to TFF. I am a 21year old Marine and Natural History photography student in Cornwall, iv'e got into the TF handling since i came up with the idea that i wanted to document the behaviour etc of fish in a tank as i can no longer dive and am missing out on a great part of my course.

After talking to a Maidenhead Aquatics based company in a near by garden centre iv'e gone for a Aquatropic AT80 110litres which seems to be a good starting point and size for me as i have got to get a camera in there as well as having a good diversity. This tank also comes with dual lighting, heater and pump.

I have all my tank decorations i wished to go for, all organic and real material based and my centre piece being a very nice naturally sculptured piece of oak wood from Cornwall.

Shopping list of fish i will be looking into once ive done my fishless tank cycle:

Live plants once ive got the tank setup also (is it best to add them before the fish or after ive got a stable tank with life?)
1x Starlight Bristlenose Catfish
6x Cherry Barbs
......and that is as far as ive gotten. Can anyone recommend breeds that have of your knowledge interesting habits or breeding habits that will go well with the fish that i have chosen already.

I do not move into my new house until September 1st so im doing my research and note taking before i start my setup. When i get moved in i will add pictures and logs of my fishless cycles.

Well i'm not the best at doing stocking plans but plants are my thing. I would add all the plants when you fill the tank. The plants actually use the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to pump out oxygen. Depending on the amount of plants you put in will depend on how long your cycle will take. Plants are almost like the "live rock of freshwater" it kickstarts the cycle and speeds it up. You might not have a cycle if you add enough plants or you'll have a "mini-cycle"

Hope this helps and good luck :p

Regards, Kerber

i didn't learn about cycling until after i had my fish, but i did have plenty of plants! it was a rough two weeks or so, but with the plants my fish stopped dieing fairly quickly. plus plants are what makes a tank extra pretty! stock wise, have you thought about schools of small fish? i think that makes a nice natural looking tank. i love the way they all spin around and go the other way together, like some one called "about face!" lol my school is made up of black neon tetras. i really like them, their shape/coloring makes them seem like big fish shrunk down. the amazing mini tank!
and ghost shrimp! they're not fancy, very cheap to replace if you need to, but they really add something to a tank. plus they help clean the bottom. and you can see when they have eggs and watch them grow. i'm a big fan.

Most reactions

Back