New To Planted Tanks

I would leave it as it is. I have 15w over my work 40lt tank and the plants are doing great. I would however get a plant specific bulb for it and a reflector. The Arcadia freshwater bulb would be ideal.

If you did decided to add a second tube, then yes you might have to take the existing one out, but TBH most hoods can be adapted to hold two tubes, you just have to be imaginative :)

Sam

Cheers - I will look at the hood tonight but I think I will get the bulb.

So does that mean I don't need Co2 and also what plants would be best for the tank?

Ps thanks for your time, I will do a journal on this forum I think.

No wont 'need' CO2 but I've sure the plants would appreciate it. And if you're going to get more involved in planted tanks, it would be a good idea to get the hang of it on a tank which isn't going to bite you in the ass if you get it wrong or forget to change the mix on time. In higher light tanks, CO2 becomes essential in helping to maintain healthy plants. If the CO2 level becomes unstable you are very much more likely to get a sudden algae bloom than you are in lower light tanks. So getting into the routine on a more forgiving low light tank would be a good idea. But as I said CO2 wouldn't be essential, if you want to leave it out for the time being, or can always add it later.

As for plants, the tropica.com website lists many of the plants available and gives good advice on what lighting they require. You can also do a search for just low light plants. The pinned plant article by rose also has a recent addition, whihc lists lower light plants.

Sam

No wont 'need' CO2 but I've sure the plants would appreciate it. And if you're going to get more involved in planted tanks, it would be a good idea to get the hang of it on a tank which isn't going to bite you in the ass if you get it wrong or forget to change the mix on time. In higher light tanks, CO2 becomes essential in helping to maintain healthy plants. If the CO2 level becomes unstable you are very much more likely to get a sudden algae bloom than you are in lower light tanks. So getting into the routine on a more forgiving low light tank would be a good idea. But as I said CO2 wouldn't be essential, if you want to leave it out for the time being, or can always add it later.

As for plants, the tropica.com website lists many of the plants available and gives good advice on what lighting they require. You can also do a search for just low light plants. The pinned plant article by rose also has a recent addition, whihc lists lower light plants.

Sam

Cheers - OK when I get home I will see how my plants are getting on, I might stick the light on a bit longer as I currently have 2 x 5 hours a day with 3 hours break in between. I might go up to 12 hours straight.

I will order my Co2 and find some low light plants.

I will also upgrade my bulb to the arcadia one.

Then once I have the hang of it I will think about the twin light set up.

Cheers sam!

I would leave it as it is. I have 15w over my work 40lt tank and the plants are doing great. I would however get a plant specific bulb for it and a reflector. The Arcadia freshwater bulb would be ideal.

If you did decided to add a second tube, then yes you might have to take the existing one out, but TBH most hoods can be adapted to hold two tubes, you just have to be imaginative :)

Sam

Cheers - I will look at the hood tonight but I think I will get the bulb.

So does that mean I don't need Co2 and also what plants would be best for the tank?

Ps thanks for your time, I will do a journal on this forum I think.

No, i wouldnt say you needed co2. Im about to start a planted tank myself, with 3wpg and dosing with ferts. Without co2.

Sounds like a plan :)

BTW don't worry about the break in the lighting, largely regarded as unnecessary, despite what some say. But increasing it to 12hrs would be a good idea, that's what I have on my lower light tanks and it works fine. If you find you are getting algae reduce it back to 10hrs.

Sam

Wicked - I will enjoy having the light on longer also. :thumbs:

Oh and sorry to be a pin but what effect will the air pump have on plants and fish?

I've turned it off for the time being as I understand that plants won't like it but what about when I put the fish in?

Cheers.

The only reason we don't have air pumps in planted tanks is that the increased surface agitation they create drives off CO2, which is a waste and makes maintaining a stable co2 level difficult. But that is not as important in lower light tanks, but if you are going to add CO2 you might as well make the most of it :)

Sam

The only reason we don't have air pumps in planted tanks is that the increased surface agitation they create drives off CO2, which is a waste and makes maintaining a stable co2 level difficult. But that is not as important in lower light tanks, but if you are going to add CO2 you might as well make the most of it :)

Sam

cheers I will leave it off then for the time being.

If I have very little Co2 then I suppose it would not be wise to lose it through an air pump.

Sam

cheers I will leave it off then for the time being.

If I have very little Co2 then I suppose it would not be wise to lose it through an air pump.

Cheers I was getting the hump with it since my plants don't look to great and I spent so much time trying to get it right. I will check the tube length tonight and then order an arcadia freshwater tube.

Then I will look at the C02.

Ps do I leave the feeding flap on my hood open or shut?

Cheers.

Probably shut, don't want any fish jumping out!

Sam

Haha :lol: give it time, the fish will appreciate the effort you're making, but I know what you mean. Is this your first/only fish tank?

Sam

No, i wouldnt say you needed co2. Im about to start a planted tank myself, with 3wpg and dosing with ferts. Without co2.

This isn't a critisism as i'm on a steep learning curve.. im just making sure i understand things correctly.

I was lead to believe that it was a good idea to add co2 before increased lighting. I thought that over 2wg you would definately need CO2 or you might end up with an algae problem.. have i missunderstood all of this?

Squid

Haha :lol: give it time, the fish will appreciate the effort you're making, but I know what you mean. Is this your first/only fish tank?

Sam

Yeah kind of, my girlfriend has an Aqua One 510 and I have been doing all the research to learn how to get ther fish in, she then bought me a 35 litre (uk) for my room and I really want to get plants sorted and then we might go for it properly when we move out together. Will will heavily plant the aqua 1.

I am happy with understanding fish but the plants seems to be a bit harder. I want to keep dwarf puffers so heavy planting is a must.

Thanks for your help again.

I am keen to get back to my tank and start work. :D

I was lead to believe that it was a good idea to add co2 before increased lighting. I thought that over 2wg you would definitely need CO2 or you might end up with an algae problem.. have i missunderstood all of this?
In general yes, as this gives you time to get the CO2 to a nice stable 30ppm, but it's more important in high light tanks, its less of an issue in lower light tanks. The whole 2WPG thing is very misleading. The WPG 'rule' was designed in the US for mid size tanks around 30-40G and doesn't work for very small (need proportionally more light) or very big tanks (need proportionally less light). Check out the link in my sig to the Amano lighting guide, you'll see what I mean :)

I am happy with understanding fish but the plants seems to be a bit harder. I want to keep dwarf puffers so heavy planting is a must.
Yeh it can be a bit tricky, but I was there once so know what you mean, so don't be to hard on yourself :) forums like this are your best source of info and guidance.

BTW are they freshwater puffers? Brackish tanks are much harder to plant as most plants wont tolerate brackish water. Also, I've not had them myself but I've heard puffers will munch on plants, so you might find all your hard work goes to waste. Any reason for the puffer in particular?

Sam

Most reactions

Back