New To Hobby And Outlook Is Not Great... Help

creags

Reaction score
I am setting out to get some rainbow sharks soon. So i got a 30 gal tank and set it up. Went out and got 2 danios and 2 tiger barbs to start cycling the tank... 2 days after 1 of my tiger barbs has died!!!! What could be the reason? My levels are in the safe zones and the temperature is 78 degrees. Any suggestions?

if you're cycling with fish, there is no 'safe zone' for ammonia and nitrite both should always read 0 otherwise you are putting your fish in danger, this has probably killed your barb :/

have a read of this topic which should help you to manage the cycle

The tank is not cycled and so the damage done... I made that mistake a couple of tanks ago too - was too eager to put fish in. The big challenge now is keeping your fish going... Ammonia builds up from fish waste - so if I were you, i'd get in there and clean the gravel nicely - try and take out anything left - and do water changes - lots of them - use water conditioner - it will make cycling harder but keep your fish alive...

Thanks for the insight... Also, when i turn the light off at night the fish go ballistic... why is this?

Some fish are just plain nocturnal - as a species or a personal preference... we have some kind of cory fish that I was near sure never ate - till one night I was up late and saw them forraging when the lights were off...

also, both tigers and danios need to be in groups, I know you are cycling, but this will probably put the barbs in stress and they might be a little weaker.

Well the danios are probably stressed out from being on their own. They really need some more friends, get at least three more of them. I don't know about the barbs but I know danios are more likely to die from stress if they're kept in such a small number.

I would definitely not add any more fish to your tank until it is fully cycled. Once your ammonia and nitrite read a constant zero you can worry about getting your barbs and danios in proper groups, if you add more now you'll only add to the ammonia levels and make matters much worse. Keeping schooling fish singly won't outright kill them though it isn't best for them long term, I have a solitary rescue danio that's been alive for several years by himself.

Just make sure that you feed sparingly, do frequent water changes (daily or every other day as needed) and keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Ok... i got my levels tested and amonia was 0 as well as nitrate. When i did a water change my levels jumped... is that normal and will they go back down? Also, i noticed at night that they lay on the bottom or close to it and dont move much... is this a sign of being sick or are they just chilling?

i think it is justthem chilling because my gf mums yo yo's do that just lay there looking like they dieing but in a way it there way of sleeping if you get what i on bout

Ok my 2 danios are looking good... I did a 10% water change and now I am getting a ammonia reading of 3ppm. Why the sudden jump? I add water conditioner and some bacteria supplement when I did the water change? Am i over stocking or is something else going on?

Or the tank wasn't cycled.
Have you done a gravel vac since the cycle.
What test kit are you using.

I am cycling with fish... i have had fish in since sunday. I am using quick dip ammonia test strips. The danios are doing great and dont seem to show any effects from the ammonia levels so i am assuming that the bacteria will take a while to catch up. but is there anything i can add to speed up the cycling process wihtout hurting the fish. I am also using cycle supplement. So i guess my question is... are ammonia readings common while cycling with fish.

The dip tests aren't that accurate but are ok for a rough guide. You're better with a test tube kit with either tablets or liquid.

Do you know the stages of the nitrogen cycle and what you are looking for to know your tank has gone through the cycle properly?

Most reactions

Back