New To Fish Tank Maintenance

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Deanna

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm Deanna. My dad had large tanks when I was a child, and I grew to love fish. I know a lot about the fish themselves, but not a lot about tank maintenance. I added fish too soon in my new tank based on poor advice, and although have been alive for weeks and look healthy, I am now cycling with fish. I know this is possible, but takes a lot of work. I am willing to do what I need to and am researching cycling with fish to form a plan of action. I have been controlling ammonia levels so it will not be toxic for my fish. If anyone has any advice for me, I would be glad to hear it! :) 

Hi and Welcome!

I'm relatively new as well.  I'm sure you will get loads of advice, so I'll keep mine to just a couple of bits about maintenance that I found useful...

- When cleaning an "in-tank" filter, wash/clean it in water taken from the tank. Keep the sponges moist, and only hand-squeeze them a couple of times.  You want to keep all the good bacteria in them alive, moist, and well, so that the tank doesn't start recycling again.

- I found one of the siphon hoses hugely useful when doing a weekly water change.  Easy to get water out.  And a few jugs of water (with de-chlorinator in) to get water back in again.  10%-20% quick water changes when time is short only takes 5 minutes!!!  If I have longer, then I siphon some of the gravel / detritus up as well (making sure not to suction up the Red Cherry Shrimp!)

I hope all goes well !!!

Above is a good few tips on fish keeping and tank care. However, When you say controlling the ammonia levels do you have a testing kit?

If so, I'd advise to keep ammonia levels at zero, A slight ammonia reading can cause long term damage in fish and reduce there lifespan. Same goes with nitrites.

Am sure you've seen our help section but I'll post a link below, It's good reading.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/

I know how to clean the tank and vacuum the gravel and things like that. I actually enjoy vacuuming the gravel! I test ammonia levels every day and if they are off I either do a partial (usually about 30%) water change or add ammonia remover, depending on how bad the reading is. I actually siphoned up one of my smaller cories and saved him as I was pouring the water out. I caught him and put him back in the tank. It was a close one! lol.

Hi and welcome :)

Good on you for reading up about cycling and doing something to keep your fish happy. 

To add my pennies worth 30% water changes probably aren't enough for a fish-in cycle. How big is your tank and how many fish (and type) have you in there? This can have a big impact on your ability to keep the cycle under control.  If you have test strips to check the water unfortunately they won't be giving you accurate readings, which are very important for a fish-in cycle.

I'm not entirely certain, but I think adding ammonia removal will slow your cycle down as the bacteria forming in your filter need it to then turn it into nitrite. Much better to add Tetra SafeStart, which will help your bacteria colonies grow. If your ammonia readings are high then 90% water changes would be better than removing it with chemicals. You could also ask your LFS to squeeze their filter sponge into a bag for you to pour into your tank, close to the filter inlet. There is a risk of spreading disease, but if your LFS have healthy fish and good, clean tanks then this is a small risk and worth it IMO....

I had to do a fish-in cycle when I started and it's a lot of work, but I was determined to sort it out. People on here were extremely helpful all the way, so there's lots of advice available :)

I have gradually added, over the course of two months, three peppered cories, a pair of bolivian ram cichlids, two powder blue dwarf gourami, and one small pleco (4 inches maximum size). I do not intend to add any more until it is fully cycled.

I have been doing the 30% water changes every 3 days. Would you recommend a bigger water change just as often? What you are saying makes a lot of sense because the more water I replace, the longer the ammonia levels tend to stay low. Thanks for the great advice. I was wondering if adding the ammonia remover would hinder the bacteria-growing process, so thanks for your input. I actually have a 2.5 gallon tank with a betta that is fully cycled with ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all at zero. Maybe next time I do a water change in that one I can put some in my big tank.

I took your advice and did a huge water change. While I did that, I was changing the water in the small betta tank and put most of it into the large one. I stopped adding ammonia remover. Two days after the water change I had been testing the water two or three times a day and the ammonia was slightly elevated but not nearly as severely as before. On the third day, I expected to need another water change, but I noticed the ammonia was almost at zero and the nitrite was slightly elevated, meaning I am on my way to a cycled tank! Finally, I feel a little better and not like such an amateur.

Just so you know, there is very little worth in moving water from a cycled tank to a cycling tank. There is almost no bacteria actually in the water. They grow on porous surfaces like the gravel and decor but mostly in the media in your filter. Just keep up with your water changes and you'll see steady but slow improvement.

What is the size of this tank? Unless it is around 75 gallons, that pleco is going to outgrow your tank if it is a common. You'll need to rehome it. They are also incredibly messy fish which will only make cycling this tank harder for you. Also, the Cory need to be in a group of six or more so once you've finished the cycle, you'll want to increase the numbers.

The pleco is a small kind and only gets four inches long when fully grown. I think I said that already. I actually do plan on getting more cories when the tank is cycled. I love them and I want them to be as happy as possible. I don't buy fish without researching them first :)

Hi and 
welcomeani.gif

have you got yourself a good liquid test kit - they are the best for giving accurate results on the parameters of your water :)

Deanna said:
The pleco is a small kind and only gets four inches long when fully grown. I think I said that already. I actually do plan on getting more cories when the tank is cycled. I love them and I want them to be as happy as possible. I don't buy fish without researching them first :)
Which species is it? Most get fairly large.

looking-glass said:
Hi and 
welcomeani.gif

have you got yourself a good liquid test kit - they are the best for giving accurate results on the parameters of your water
smile.png
Yes, I only use liquid tests. I don't like the inaccuracy of the test strips, and when I do the liquid testing, I feel like a mad scientist! :D
attibones said:

The pleco is a small kind and only gets four inches long when fully grown. I think I said that already. I actually do plan on getting more cories when the tank is cycled. I love them and I want them to be as happy as possible. I don't buy fish without researching them first
smile.png
Which species is it? Most get fairly large.

I asked the fish dealer when I was there and just checked online to see if he was correct, and to my relief, it is a bristle nose pleco, or Ancistrus cirrhosus. The maximum adult size for a male is about 15 centimeters, or about 5 to 6 inches. A fully grown female is about an inch smaller. It is so fun to watch when it feeds! :D

Oh okay good. A lot of people come on here with common plecos and are unaware of how huge they get. That's why I asked. :)

What size tank is this, by the way? I can't seem to find that info on here.

Seems like you're doing everything right. If you've been slowly adding the fish over a few months, it will probably be cycled or almost there. Most of us started off with a fish in cycle and yes it's hard work, but you're over the worst!

Just make sure that you keep up the water changes, once the tank is settled a weekly or bi weekly change is a must :) if it's an internal filter I'd clean the sponges in old tank water once a month to keep the flow. Other than that, and the occasional algae scrub, there isn't a lot to it!

Most reactions

Back