New To Fish Keeping, My Big Journal

I have been thinking that the next thing im going to get for my tank is shrimp. I was orginally thinking about getting 2 cleaner shrimp. But know I was wondering if I could get 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 peppermint shrimp? Are these okay together?

Hope you like the pictures of the firefish, I had some problems getting the brightness right on the camera. Her fins are actually yellow but I don't think you can see this.

This is flow, coming out of her cave.
IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

The brown plant thing on the far left rock is getting out of control, I keep pulling some out.
IMG_4571.jpg

I think I need some extra CUC, I was thinking about either adding a emerald crab or some more scarlet hermits? If I add an emerald will everything else be okay?

Also How many Shrimp do you think I need? I was thinking about two cleaner shrimp and one scarlet shrimp?

If you add a Emerald Crab make sure all your rocks are secure as they will move them if not.

I think you could do with a herbivoreous fish eg. an algae blenny, a dwarf angel or a tang (if tank is big enough), to help you rid of that macroalgae. What are your current params? You may have high PO4 that is feeding it?

Also an emerald crab isn't a bad idea, my is always eating away at some form of algae in my tank so believe it is a good asset as it tends to leave everything else in the tank alone! some algae eating hermits may also help a bit along with physically trying to rip out as much as you can!

oh BTW you dont NEED any shrimps, they can be a pain in the backside if nothing else as always nick food off the fish and corals but do look good in the tank i must admit :) By the way scarlet shrimps are cleaner shrimps??? did you mean fire shrimp instead?

I think you could do with a herbivoreous fish eg. an algae blenny, a dwarf angel or a tang (if tank is big enough), to help you rid of that macroalgae. What are your current params? You may have high PO4 that is feeding it?

Also an emerald crab isn't a bad idea, my is always eating away at some form of algae in my tank so believe it is a good asset as it tends to leave everything else in the tank alone! some algae eating hermits may also help a bit along with physically trying to rip out as much as you can!

oh BTW you dont NEED any shrimps, they can be a pain in the backside if nothing else as always nick food off the fish and corals but do look good in the tank i must admit :) By the way scarlet shrimps are cleaner shrimps??? did you mean fire shrimp instead?

I was thinking about getting a blenny and dwarf angel anyway. Which type of dwarf fish are herbivoreous? I thought they where all omnivorous? I'm not sure about my PO4, I haven't checked it in awhile but they last time I checked it was 0.

I think I'm going to get an emerald crab then and maybe some more hermits, and I ment peppermint shrimp haha. In that case I think ill only get 1 or 2 shrimp.

My emerald crab made short work of hair algae, I use blue legged dwarf hermits these seem to be very active all the time.

I went with a pygmy cherub angel for grazing nice fish had no issues with coral nipping or aggression he tries it on with the firefish occasionaly but gives up very quickly as the firefish ignores him :)

hi

go into your lfs and see if they can get you in a convict tang fantastic algea eaters but make sure it is a small one and after a month or too return it to your lfs as it needs a big tank and lots of algea to suppport his feeding habbits

regrads scott

sorry scott but IMO thats a bit mean on the fish to get it, acclimatise it, then just when its settled catch it and take it back to the LFS.thats alot of stress to put on a fish.
you'd be better off getting an algae blennie that can live quite happily in the tank for the rest of its life.

OMG :drool: you have a pair of Helfrichs, please tell us more, where did you get them, how much, more photos...........

Seffie x

sorry scott but IMO thats a bit mean on the fish to get it, acclimatise it, then just when its settled catch it and take it back to the LFS.thats alot of stress to put on a fish.
you'd be better off getting an algae blennie that can live quite happily in the tank for the rest of its life.

I think I would prefer to do this? How many more fish do you think I can get? because there is 3 fish on my wish list. A blennie, a dwarf angle and a royal gramma.
Which bleenie's are good algea eaters?

OMG :drool: you have a pair of Helfrichs, please tell us more, where did you get them, how much, more photos...........

Seffie x

No sorry its not a pair, only one. I got her from complete marines in barnsley and she was £90! haha more than my protein skimmer, but when I saw her, I knew I couldnt not buy her haha.

I'll put some more pictures up later today

i think my firefish has ich! what do i do?

Is she still feeding auryt? and what makes you believe she has got ich in the first place?

Cleaner shrimp may posibbly help but I have never really known anyone through personal experience who got rid of ich through a cleaner shrimp alone!

Personally I have had ich my my tank twice now and I have found that keeping a close eye on all my livestock and feeding quality food helps them overcome it IMO. the last time all my fish in the tank caught it but i continued to fee dand it all passed over and i didnt lose anything (touches wood).

other people may give you other opinions which may also work but its your decision what you decide to do as it is a lovely fish and it would be a big shame if anything happend to it. you could always take the fish out of the tank and treat it in a seperate tank with some form of copper based ich treatment! but if you decide to do this then you will have to treat the clowns as well as any other fish you may have in the tank and leave the tank fish free for a few weeks so any ich in the water column will starve and die without a host fish to attach themselves on to...

Good luck

i think my firefish has ich! what do i do?

Is she still feeding auryt? and what makes you believe she has got ich in the first place?

Cleaner shrimp may posibbly help but I have never really known anyone through personal experience who got rid of ich through a cleaner shrimp alone!

Personally I have had ich my my tank twice now and I have found that keeping a close eye on all my livestock and feeding quality food helps them overcome it IMO. the last time all my fish in the tank caught it but i continued to fee dand it all passed over and i didnt lose anything (touches wood).

other people may give you other opinions which may also work but its your decision what you decide to do as it is a lovely fish and it would be a big shame if anything happend to it. you could always take the fish out of the tank and treat it in a seperate tank with some form of copper based ich treatment! but if you decide to do this then you will have to treat the clowns as well as any other fish you may have in the tank and leave the tank fish free for a few weeks so any ich in the water column will starve and die without a host fish to attach themselves on to...

Good luck

Yer she is still eating okay, probly abit more than normal and seems just as active as she has been. But she has lots of little white spots over her, which you can only see when tank lights are on. At first it was just a couple and I thought it was sand or somthing. But quite alot of white spots now.

I was going to add a cleaner shrimp anyway, so I'll add one tomorrow if I can get one, and see if that helps. I would like to continue like you did, since I dont have a 2nd tank. What should I be looking out for? If I do need to get a quantine tank, what do I need and how much will it cost?

Thanks, Sharm

Most reactions

Back