New To Cichlids.....

Irf

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a more-or-less established 4 months old 50 gallon heavily planted community tank. I'm new to fishkeeping, but I have built up quite a bit of knowledge in the past few months, and I realise that I'm seriously addicted!

I was lucky enough to pick up a secondhand 39 gallon tank, heater and pump/filter a few days ago, for very little money. Assuming I can persuade the wife to allow a 2nd tank in the dining room, I'd like to keep African Cichlids in it.

I am hoping to use a sand substrate, with lots of rocks. I will probably get the rocks from garden centres or even my own garden. I might also get some from the beach!

So why am I posting? Well I wanted to know the following, if any of you have the time to reply:
  • Apart from cycling the tank, what other preparations might I need to make?
  • Am I likely to get a few cichlids into this relatively small tank?
  • What sort of smaller cichlids should I look out for?
  • Where is a good place to get sand? I'm after something more yellowy (a bit darker) than white "play" sand.
  • I'd like to have at least a few plants. What would people recommend? Anubias? Anything else?
  • Will I need aeration by pump because I'm not having loads of plants? In my existing tank I have so many plants and HOB filtration to help agitate the water surface.
  • Will the filter media from my existing tank be sufficient to start the cycling in the new one? Shall I transfer some water as well to speed up the process?
There's probably many more questions I should be asking, but I'll ask later when I remember!

Thanks for your time,

Irf.

Thats a lot of questions , I`m only a newish as well but I found the CF articles a massive help in understanding what is needed.

Have a browse through these.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/rift_lake_setup.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/introduction_list.php

Make sure your water parameters are suitable, what is your Ph, Gh and KH ?
Whats the tank size (dimensions) ?
Argos playsand is fairly dark.
Anubias, Java Fern and Vallisneria are said to work
Your filter outlet should provide enough aeration just make sure the water surface is broken.
Filter media should be fine I doubt water would help that match as the bacteria "adhere" to solid surfaces i.e. sponges/filter media ornaments. I take it your doing fishless cycling if so make sure you`ve read the article in the beginners section?

sorry if that was all brief but I`m off to sleep now :zz :zz :zz

Some of the more experienced members hopefull will add to this.
Any more questions feel free to ask.

I'm also starting a Tanganyikan tank and have found a few things out from TFF, the Internet and books. Most likely your water pH will have to be buffered to about 8.2.
You will probably want to use smooth rocks to make formations of caves and hiding places, or you may want shells. You'll want to keep species from one biotope in that size tank.
I can name a few small africans, such as the butterfly cichlid, kribensis, neolamprolagus brichardi, neolamprologus multifasciatus, and neolamprologs similus. I don't feel experienced enough with tanganyikans or dwarfs to recommend any species, but as far as cichlids go I'm sure you could comfortably house 7-10 small cichlids in a tank of that size.
Like sw said your filtration should be fine and as far as live plants, I don't keep them. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll take a look at the CF articles as you suggest.

My pH out of the tap is quite high, around 8 I think. I'll check again tonight. Also, living in London, GH and KH are also high. Again, I'll check tonight and post back.

The tank is 1m x 40cm x 40cm.

Thanks for pointing out the Argos play sand - should be cheap too! I'll give it a go.

I'm glad about the plants - I like Anubias, and Java. I've never had much success with Vallis, but I'll give ot a try. I though cichlids would eat that though?

Yes, I have read the articles in the beginners sections. I also have a book all about Lake Malawi Cichlids, which explains how to cycle well. It actually suggests using hardy fishes (like a couple of gourami varieties).

Again, thanks a lot. If anyone else would like to comment, please feel free to help out with advice!

Will post later today.

Irf.

What cichlids are you hoping to get? I didn't have any live plants with my mbuna tanks, they were too hyper to tolerate plants in their way!!! I used lava and tufa rock to build a good selection of caves for them (instead of one large cave as they would quarrel over that).

I found mine very entertaining indeed :D I was told to buy them in batches of 3 per species to prevent bullying etc :good:

To be honest I haven't decided which to get yet. That will be down to reading up on them (size, aggression, etc.), advice and availability.

I'll put together a shortlist from my book tonight and post back. Of course I have no idea on availability, but some of you guys may be able help....!

Irf.

Sounds like your water is perfect but check it just to be sure, I wouldn`t tinker with the water if it`s near enough.

Just make sure you give the sand a good rinse and it will be fine shoudln`t cost much either.

Check out some of the articles on fishless cycling they may interest you , it enables higher stocking initially when your tank is setup although requires a bit of patience and time.

Thanks Nick Sw...... I have read a bit about fishless cycling already. In fact my first (community) tank was cycled in that way. What I thought however was that maybe cycling with fish would be quicker (and maybe nicer?).... and then perhaps the "cycler fish" could be re-housed in my community tank.

Is that logical?

Irf.

Tested my tap water:

pH : 7.9

Nitrate : 60

KH : 190

GH : 260

Will be getting the sand tomorrow, and cleaning out the tank and getting it ready at the weekend. The silicone on the inside is really laid on thick, so I'm suspicious that there is a leak, or may have been one at some stage.

I bought some aquarium silicone in the week. I'm gonna cut out the existing silicone from the inside (not into the seams), and re-finish the silicone as new.

Haven't chosen what cichlids I might look for yet. Really depends on what's available I guess. Also I'm gonna go shopping for rocks at the weekend. Hoping to get some from the beach.

Will buy plants later.

Irf.

Your tap water PH is close enough and I wouldn't bother messing with it.

However the nitrates are very high. If my tanks ever read that high I freak out and do massive water changes. My tanks rarely go over 10.

I know that live plants help lower the nitrates and there are a few water conditioners, that as well as dechlorinate they also neutralize some of the nitrates. There was also another thread here I think where the high nitrates in London were being discussed. If I find it I'll post it here.

Hey you other Londoners how about helping Irf out with his nitrate issue.

Good luck.

Blue Acara is the screen name. His thread has no answers yet. I suggested maybe sharing a reverse osmosis kit, but don't know if that's possible.

Thanks Biff. I'll keep my eyes open.

Regarding the nitrates, my community tank hovers around 40 and the fish seem OK with the water changes I'm doing. I've got a feeling that London water pretty much has this level of nitrates everywhere? Not sure though.

I even have some chemical (Tetra NitrateMinus I think) that reduces the nitrates, but I'm not using it at the moment cos I don't like adding too many chems in case other effects take over!

I'd be interested in the views of London-based cichlids experts!

Thanks again,

Irf.

i saw this water filter gadget at the pet store last night but it will lower the hardness and claims to get out all the nitrates and chlorine and minerals and such. its some kind of reverse osmosis filter but if it really works it can be another route to take but you would need some crushed coral in your substrate or as a filter media to buffer the hardness back up. I have never used a filter so i'm noy sure how it would work.

Most reactions

Back