New To Bettas - Need Minibow Tank Size Advice

Go with your average rectangular tank. Glass is the best. I heard some heaters can't be used in plastic/acrylic tanks. Plus, if you go with the larger (5 or 5.5...I have a 5.5 gallon) it will allow you to add a snail or a couple shrimp later on. Trust me. Once you get a tank you are going to want to spiff it up with a little something new here and there and the larger it is, the more satisfied you will be. Gives you more options.

Sorry, but I'm pretty curious as to why heaters can't be used with acrylic tanks?
And I believe that as long as the heater doesn't actually touch the actual tank (plastic/acrylic), it should be okay. A little risky, but just FYI.

I was told by my LFS that heating smaller containers (particularly plastic/acrylic) can be tricky and will melt the sides if not used correctly. Just quoting them. That's the reason why I never added one to my brothers 2.5 acrylic tank. Was afraid it'd melt the sides.

Weird, I'd be more afraid of plastic melting than acrylic. But i've never seen acrylic IRL, nor do I know what it's made up of. You sure you want to believe a LFS? Hahaha, jokes :) I'll take that into mind

It's a privately run store in my town. Not a large company like PETCO who gave the advice.

In full he said it was risky, as you mentioned, and he noted that it /could/ melt plastic/acrylic if it touched it. I'd just go the safe route and not use it in at least a small sized tank. He told me...get a 10 gallon....then we will talk about getting a heater. I would if it were my fish. It's my 10 year old brothers. I clean up and feed them as it is. He can ask for a 10 gallon and maybe if I'm nice in the future it'll happen. :rolleyes:

Since heaters come with suction cups that hold them well away from the sides, there is little to no risk of them doing damage. And 27-30 degrees ( really the high end of most tropical aquarium temperatures ) is nowhere near enough to melt aquarium grade/thickness acrylic.

Go with your average rectangular tank. Glass is the best. I heard some heaters can't be used in plastic/acrylic tanks. Plus, if you go with the larger (5 or 5.5...I have a 5.5 gallon) it will allow you to add a snail or a couple shrimp later on. Trust me. Once you get a tank you are going to want to spiff it up with a little something new here and there and the larger it is, the more satisfied you will be. Gives you more options.

Sorry, but I'm pretty curious as to why heaters can't be used with acrylic tanks?
And I believe that as long as the heater doesn't actually touch the actual tank (plastic/acrylic), it should be okay. A little risky, but just FYI.
My acrylic tank has a heater and there's never been a problem. The heater is dangled in there. . .it use to be suctioned to the side of the tank and even then, there wasn't an issue.

Hmmm...

Then maybe I should mention it again. It would be more convenient with a heater in my brothers tank....

Most reactions

Back