New Tank

Italian_Stallion

Reaction score
i have a 3ft community tank that is almost 2 years old. i got given another 3ft tank for free from a friend. my question is, can i speed up the cycling proccess by adding gravel or filter media from my existing tank?? i wish to do a fishless cycle and am wondering if it would speed the cycling time up.

Thanks

Several ways you could do it but you could just clone the tank and bypass the cycling alltogether using some gravel and filter media and water from existing.

You could even run the new filter in your existing tank fro a while to colonise it.

You just need to make sure youfeed sparingly when you move the filter and stock the new tank slowly (unless you're thinking of mbuna)

if i just put the old filter in the new tank will that work or not?? or will i have to put water, gravel and filter media from the old tank in the new tank??

thanks

Yep that should work as the majority of the benificial bacteria is there.

Couple of points though - whats filtering the old tank? - if you just swapped it with a new one then it may not be able to cope with the bio load :/

And likewise the old filter in the new tank - if there are not any fish then it will diminish as it wont have the bio load(ammonia) to feed it -_-

www :)

Most reactions

Back