New Tank!

stargirly1208

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i just got a new 30 gallon hexagon tank... any suggestions for decoration and fish? right now all the fish in my 10 gal are going to go in there. plus 3 clown loaches that i'm going to get. any suggestions for other fish? right now i have one of those really long plants in it because the tank is quite tall and 2 larger plants. any suggestions accepted except real plants because those r just too much of a hastle for me haha :)

What kind of loaches are you getting? Some get pretty big and that's already alot of fish from your 10 gallon you're moving up into the 30. To me, I would leave the female guppies and snail in the 10 gallon. Leave the male guppies in the 10 gallon also, if you're okay with them breeding. And I would only add more of the same fish you have to get better schools... like getting one more cory, 2 more glolites, and 3 more orange tetras.

Clown loaches will grow too big for a 30gal, they also prefer tanks with a lot of width rather than height. Personally i would work on some of your current stocking before you get any new species of fish;

10 gal, 2 gal fry tank
1 red honey gourami
3 glolite tetras
2 orange tetras
4 female guppies
3 male guppies
2 cory catfish
1 mystery snail

Tetras prefer to be in groups of at least 6+ of the same species due to being shoaling fish, so i would add another 3+ glolites and whatever your orange tetras are too.
Really you should have 2-3females per male with livebearers like guppys as this will cut down on harrassment between the males and females, so i would add another 5+ female guppys bringing you to a total of 8, although more females would be better if you can(if you don't want to buy anymore female guppys i would separate the males and females or rehome 3 of the males) :nod: .
Corys do best in groups of 3-4+ of their own species, so adding another 2+ to your current couple would be good depending on what species they are; corys prefer a sand or fine rounded gravel substrate(sand is best though im my experience), so if you havn't already bought substrate for your tank i would go for some sand substrate(its also generally easier to maintain/keep clean as well in comparison to gravel).
I'm no expert on gouramis and snails though so i couldn't comment on those, but if you follow these current things your stocking in your new 30gal should look more like this;

30gal stocking;
8 female guppys
4 male guppys
4 corys
6 glolite tetras
6 orange tetras
1 honey gourami

10gal;
free

2gal fry tank;

This still leaves you with a fair amount of space for new fish species, although i really wouldn't recommend clown loaches as they are not suitable for your tank either way- this stocking though will completely free up your 10gal to do with whatever you want with it as wel; :nod: .
What sorts of fish species are you into? Do you know what types of corys you currently have? Have you considered in getting another tetra species after you add to current species numbers?

oooh sorry i should've thought about that. here's a pic of my tank... i'm cycling overnight so there's nothin in it yet :)

stargirly1208-100_1326.JPG

I definately like your suggestions, Tokis-Phoenix! :thumbs: Then the 10 gallon would be the fry tank and the 2 gallon can be a betta tank. :D

What kind of loaches are you getting? Some get pretty big and that's already alot of fish from your 10 gallon you're moving up into the 30. To me, I would leave the female guppies and snail in the 10 gallon. Leave the male guppies in the 10 gallon also, if you're okay with them breeding. And I would only add more of the same fish you have to get better schools... like getting one more cory, 2 more glolites, and 3 more orange tetras.

for one thing, guppies r soooo small... and another they don't get bigger than the tank u keep them in, if that was the case my mom's clown loach would've grown outta her tank hehe. right now they're about 2 in in length about. they should be alright. i'm planning on using the 10 gallon only for transport if need be because i jsut don't have room for it in my apartment. thanks for the advice tho

for one thing, guppies r soooo small... and another they don't get bigger than the tank u keep them in, if that was the case my mom's clown loach would've grown outta her tank hehe. right now they're about 2 in in length about. they should be alright. i'm planning on using the 10 gallon only for transport if need be because i jsut don't have room for it in my apartment. thanks for the advice tho

Its not responsable or kind to stunt fish's growth, it will eventually kill them, although clown loaches should live to 40yrs old if well looked after(these really are long term fish). Guppys are naturally small fish though and usually don't longer than 2 and a half inches, but as a general rule if you want big fish you need a big tank- depending on the fish, i wouldn't put anything that grows bigger than 5inchs in a 30gal as a general rule of thumb :nod: .
I would add more decor/planting to the tank though as it will be beneficial for all the fish involved :thumbs: . How are you going about cycling the tank :unsure: ?

Clown loaches will grow too big for a 30gal, they also prefer tanks with a lot of width rather than height. Personally i would work on some of your current stocking before you get any new species of fish;

10 gal, 2 gal fry tank
1 red honey gourami
3 glolite tetras
2 orange tetras
4 female guppies
3 male guppies
2 cory catfish
1 mystery snail

Tetras prefer to be in groups of at least 6+ of the same species due to being shoaling fish, so i would add another 3+ glolites and whatever your orange tetras are too.
Really you should have 2-3females per male with livebearers like guppys as this will cut down on harrassment between the males and females, so i would add another 5+ female guppys bringing you to a total of 8, although more females would be better if you can(if you don't want to buy anymore female guppys i would separate the males and females or rehome 3 of the males) :nod: .
Corys do best in groups of 3-4+ of their own species, so adding another 2+ to your current couple would be good depending on what species they are; corys prefer a sand or fine rounded gravel substrate(sand is best though im my experience), so if you havn't already bought substrate for your tank i would go for some sand substrate(its also generally easier to maintain/keep clean as well in comparison to gravel).
I'm no expert on gouramis and snails though so i couldn't comment on those, but if you follow these current things your stocking in your new 30gal should look more like this;

30gal stocking;
8 female guppys
4 male guppys
4 corys
6 glolite tetras
6 orange tetras
1 honey gourami

10gal;
free

2gal fry tank;

This still leaves you with a fair amount of space for new fish species, although i really wouldn't recommend clown loaches as they are not suitable for your tank either way- this stocking though will completely free up your 10gal to do with whatever you want with it as wel; :nod: .
What sorts of fish species are you into? Do you know what types of corys you currently have? Have you considered in getting another tetra species after you add to current species numbers?

oooh i do like your idea! um yeah about the orange tetras they're called something weird like rio grand or some weird french type name. they're basically like the regular grey ones only smaller and orange and yellow. but i did have more tetras at one point, some died off and only the glolites remained. but i will plan on getting more of those! :D and i will get another female guppy, i just haven't found one i liked yet hehe :*) my corys are peppered corys and i was thinking about adding at least one more, maybe an albino if they like each other. the fish species i'm more interested in are just colorful community fish. although i do enjoy those upside down catfish... they make me laugh! i just might get some. not sure yet tho, but they will be good because they're uppertank swimmers ;)

Its not responsable or kind to stunt fish's growth, it will eventually kill them, although clown loaches should live to 40yrs old if well looked after(these really are long term fish). Guppys are naturally small fish though and usually don't longer than 2 and a half inches, but as a general rule if you want big fish you need a big tank- depending on the fish, i wouldn't put anything that grows bigger than 5inchs in a 30gal as a general rule of thumb :nod: .
I would add more decor/planting to the tank though as it will be beneficial for all the fish involved :thumbs: . How are you going about cycling the tank :unsure: ?

well first i filled it up with water, put stress coat (for chlorine and such remover) in it, and stress zyme in it (for bacteria growth), and i also put some of my 10 gal's rocks in there because i eventually want to just mix them all, and it's good for bacteria growth.

Upside down catfish should be ok...but i'm really not sure on that though- here's a good link though to caring for them :) ;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/mocho...odont/334_F.PHP

:thumbs:
thanks for that! now here's a question how do u get ur water softer?

Personally i would clone the tank or do a fishless cycle. Torrean did a thread on various ways of cycling :thumbs: ;

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...5&#entry1114165

Do you have any test kits for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites?
yeah i have a quick dip test kit. now i also poured like 2 buckets full of my old 10 tank water in too i left that out. i'm sure this will help a big deal. but i did test the water after adding the bacteria zyme and nitrites were 0 and only a small amount of nitrate. ph is neutral, water is a little hard tho.

then everyone shouldn't have a clown loach if this was the case because the zoo has one that is like 3 feet long... so in that case everyone with a 40g, 50g even a 150g shouldn't own any clown loaches :( this is just silly. in the wild if they aren't in a big space, then they won't get big, just how things work. same with people.

Most reactions

Back