New Tank Setup

Dr Bob

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a Biorb 30 litre which (after reading this forum) would appear to be a little overstocked :blush:
Current occupents are;
1 cherry barb.
3 neon tetras.
3 silver tipped tetras
3 lemonbarbs
2 'orange fish' name escapes me at the moment

On Sunday I bought a 150 litre (approx 34 Gallon) ferplast cayman 80 sceanic.

Tank.jpg

TankandCabinet.jpg

Tank came with cabinet/heater and filter
http://www.ferplast.it/en/pagina_602.html

Just bought a rena 300 air pump which I'll be adding.

I washed through a large bag of gravel and added the water and the (plastic) plants and bogwood that I'd had soaking. The water is currently very cloudy I assume I didn't wash the gravel enough.
On Monday I decided that I wanted the gravel a bit deeper so bought another bag of gravel which I washed more thoroughly and added to the tank.

First question is should I just wait for the dust/cloudiness to settle or should I do a full water change?
Second question is in regard to cycling the tank, can I utilise the biorb at all for this purpose or should I just follow the 'standard' cycling instructions?
Cheers.

Paul.

I'm not familiar with the filtration in a biorb. However, if it is possible for you to put the biorb's filter media inside your new filter somehow, there is no reason you should not do that and conduct a lock stock move to the new tank.

You may find there is room in your new filter for a carbon insert (that you do not need as a matter of routine), and that this space is suitable for the biorb media (even if you have to chop it up with scissors- underwater of course)? Having googled for the filter media for a biorb, it looks like little bits of crap that you empty into the filter? The pics aren't clear. If it is in bits as it seems to be you could put it into the foot of a (new and rinsed) pair of tights and make it fit the space- you don't need it being sucked into the impeller on the new filter.

If you can't sort something out then the alternative is to put the new filter into the biorb (giving it two weeks to populate with bacteria fully, gradually reducing the flow in the biorb filter if you can or removing bits of media if you can't), before again doing a lock stock move.

The final option is to leave the biorb as it is, fishlessly cycle the new tank, and when that is complete, move everyone over.

You will notice that the first option is "instant move", the second two will take a few weeks. Lack of patience causes many problems in fishkeeping, if you have to go the long way, then resist the temptation to speed it up! Also if you do go the long route, don't let your new tank stand for two weeks with water in it, empty it out and get it filled up a day or so max before the move.

On the question of cloudy water, I suspect that it will settle. If not, then when you get some filtration in there it'll only take a few hours. A bit of cloudiness due to suspended particles is unlikely to cause your fish any problems in any event.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Second question is in regard to cycling the tank, can I utilise the biorb at all for this purpose or should I just follow the 'standard' cycling instructions?
Cheers.

Paul.
Not many choices with a biorb but IIWY I'd prepare to do a fishless cycle but, before adding the first dose of ammonia, rinse the biorb filter cartridge in the new tank.
This should hopefully donate some bacteria & speed up the cycle time.

Sue

Cheers for the replies.
I've had the filter and heater running since sunday and it is getting better.
On Tuesday I tested the water all seemed fine so I did actually add my 3 neons to the tank thinking the cloudiness wouldn't be a problem for them and that due to their small number nitrites wouldn't be either.
Last night I moved them back to the biorb as they were all gasping at the surface :(
I've since done more reading and decided on the fishless cycle, felt pretty quilty for causing them to suffer. They seem fine again now.

Sue, sounds like a plan, any merit in bagging up some of the ceramic media and moving it into the new tank?

Cheers,

Paul.

If you can fit the old media into the new filter, there is no reason not to go direct tank to tank in one go mate. Is that not a possibility?

Sue, sounds like a plan, any merit in bagging up some of the ceramic media and moving it into the new tank?
Are you planning to keep the biorb running? if you are do as above & fishless cycle.

If you remove any of the media IMO you need to move it all ( buy some coarse tulle & loosely bag it hang it , or some of it, in front of the filter stream.) and then move all the fish and the filter cartridge + rise out the bowl with dechlorinated water and add that and they should be ok.
I like to use carbon in brand new tanks for the first three weeks in case of any plastic contaminants.
Obviously keep testing & I'd keep a couple of prepared buckets on standby but hopefully you shouldn't see a spike.
It goes without saying that no new fish for a month B)

Cool, do you think the Neons were gasping beacause of the dust?

Be good if I could transfer them all in one go....

Will look at the options, just bought a 500 ml bottle of ammonia from boots so ready to do a fishless cycle if need be.

Ta folks!

****UPDATE*****

Thought I'd stick an update on.
After reading the posts regarding my queries I went to Boots the following day and purchased some ammonia.
I began cycling on the 9th April using the 'add and wait' method.
By the 12th the ammonia levels were as follows;
Ammonia - 3ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
Nitrates - 0ppm
When I returned on the 16th after a 4 day city break the levels were;
Ammonia - 0.50ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
Nitrates - 0ppm
on the 18th the levels were;
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrites - Present but I forgot to note the numbers :(
Nitrates - as above
I added 30 drops of ammonia which took the levels up to around 2 ppm
Today (19th) Levels are;
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrites - 10ppm
Nitrates - 255ppm
Added another 30 drops but am going to add more to bring the levels up to 4ppm

And finally a new pic, check out the differance! (had a bit of a re-arrangment and added a live plant)

IMAGE_032.jpg

Today (20th) Levels are;
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrites - 10ppm
Nitrates - 255ppm

Seems to be munching through the ammonia ok :)

Hopefully not 2 long to go.....

Most reactions

Back