New Tank Question?

patrick_devereux

Reaction score
alright folks. well i'v been offered a new tank for free!! the size is 4ft / 15" high / 18" wide.... what do you think will this be an alright size for my africans?? also do you know what uk gallon this will be and will it be eays to find a hood for it?? thanks :)

Lucky you, wish I was given tanks for free.

If the tank is 48in * 15in * 18in, that gives you 12960in3

Doing the math in my head (yeah right) this converts to 46.72 gal uk or 56.11 gal us.

That is plenty big for your fish and I would jump on the oppertunity if I was you.

About the hood. Building a hood is possible if you are handy and have the tools. And if you can get your hands on old light fitting it will also work out cheaper.

The alternative is buy a plastic hood and kit it out with a light kit yourself. Aquatics-online.com have some. I think to buy all the parts (hood, ballast, bulbs) it would cost the bones of 100 units of your money.

This is still good value considering that you didn't have to buy the tank.

hope this helps.

cheers mate that helps loads i like a bit of DIY so i think i will have a go at making a hood -_-
So that only leaves the problem of getting the thing from Buxton to Newcastle :(

Just use some logs and roll it, like they did with the stones for Stonehenge!!!! :p :p

Putting together a hood should cause you no problems. I made one a couple of weeks ago, the hood, tank and stand only cost about 40-50 sterling. But I already had the glass and lights which are the most costly part of building a tank.

DSCF3918.jpg

DSCF4014.jpg

DSCF4036.jpg

Another option you could go with would be a 48in T8 Overtank Luminaire. It would cost about 100 sterling depending on where you go. In addition the overtank luminaire generates a great lighting effect as the light enters the water at more of a ninty degree angle and you would get that nice sort of tropical sea floor shimmering effect (this is the best way I can describe it). All you would need then would be a condensation sheet and thats only if you wanted one.

Arcadia over tank luminaires

Most reactions

Back