New Tank Newbie

cheekypigs

Reaction score
I have just got a 126 litre tank for my birthday I have set it up and planted it out and have dosed it with cycle. Its been sitting for a week. I ran some tests today and the results came out as ph 7.6, high ph 8.2, ammonia 0.5, nitrite between 0 and 0.25 and nitrate 40 what do I do next? is there other tests I should be running too? how do I fix these results? is it a case of leaving the tank for longer or do I need to do something else?

cheers!!!

pH test is not worth doing until you are ready to decide what fish to get/ get the fish, since it tends to vary until the tank is cycled.

FYI, 33.33 gallons is how much your tank is, since Americans like myself cannot grasp the concept of and/or cannot visualize using the metric system.

You added ammonia or bacteria to the tank to cycle your tank. You did nto dose it with "cycle". :p Or perhaps cycle is a brand and I came off sounding like an idiot.

Depending on what it was that you added, you might have to tweak things, though if you mean fixing the pH, it's best to get fish that are suited to or can adapt to your water's pH, instead of toyingwith it.

By the way what is "high pH"?

I'd guess you have got a low range pH test kit and a high range pH test kit. My low range test kit for pH will measure the pH 'accurately' between 6.0 and 7.6. The high range pH kit measures between pH 7.4 to 8.8. Yours may have a different range depending on the brand.

So for example if your water has a true pH of 8.0, then the low range pH test kit will show that as a pH of 7.6 because it cannot read a pH higher than that. The high range pH test kit (in this example) should show the accurate reading. Have a look at the box the pH test kits came in and that should tell you the range of pH each should read.

As to your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings, to me it's looking good. Your 'cycling' of the tank is underway. Keep testing the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every day or other day. What you should see happen is the value for the ammonia will increase and then decrease to zero. The same should happen for the nitrite, though a bit after the ammonia (a little like it's lagging a bit behind), finally the nitrate reading will keep on increasing. When your ammonia and nitrite readings reach zero, your tank is cycled. You will need to perform some water changes to lower your nitrate (this will become part of your regular tank maintenance). The (fingers crossed) your tank is ready for it's first fish.

There is probably a good link in the FAQ about cycling a tank and it would be worth rooting it out and having a good read.

Good luck,

Triskele

ummm where did the ammonia come from? Are you adding ammonia to keep your bacteria from the "Cycle" alive?

Most reactions

Back