New Setup, Want To Add More Fish But....

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JasonMichael

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys! I've recently completed a new setup for my 300 litre tank, so far so good! I had a bit of an algae issue with my old setup, spoke to a few people on here in other threads and turns out it most likely was because I stopped the Flourish Excel, I played around with my Co2 levels, lighting and flow too which was all fine. 

Since my last set up I've now installed an inline CO2 system and an Inline heater, which are both running fantastic! 

What do you think of the rescape? I'm wanting to add a few more fish slowly as well, do you think there is enough hiding spots etc for my fish or should I look at creating more? Comments appreciated, thanks 
smile.png

IMG_0394_zps9f0f5d64.jpg

IMG_0395_zps2dc59652.jpg

IMG_0398_zpsc8125af2.jpg

Looks great! I can't wait for my new tank to arrive so I can start scaping. I'd say there was plenty of hiding space but I'll leave that to someone with plenty experience! :)

I just a novice but to me that looks great, given me some ideas as well. Very nice tank

SarahMarie said:
Looks great! I can't wait for my new tank to arrive so I can start scaping. I'd say there was plenty of hiding space but I'll leave that to someone with plenty experience!
smile.png
Thanks! That's awesome, what kind of tank did you get? :) 

mitch70 said:
I just a novice but to me that looks great, given me some ideas as well. Very nice tank
Thanks man! 

It's a juwel rio 240 litres. So quite a bit of space to work with. Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow!
What fish are you looking to add to the tank? :)

Tank looks great - I would look to the planted section for advice on that hair grass as I dont think it does well when clumped together like that. Its one of my favorite plants but never been able to keep it alive for very long...

As for adding more fish - going from the stock list in your signature the first thing you have to do is decide which route you want to take the tank, I am of course referring to the BGK.... its a massive predator in a tank with rummy nose and cardinal tetras. They have surprisingly huge mouths as this video shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZO_wyslrVE&feature=player_embedded

PLEASE IGNORE THE OTHER FISH IN THE TANK - this is a terribly stocked tank but it proves a point as to how huge the BGKs mouth really is...

So I think you have to choose between the tetras and the ghost knife - larger disk tetras would work in their place like Bleeding Hearts, Columbians, Diamonds etc would be pretty good :)

Then I think its open water feature fish you need in there - things like a Blue Acara would work nicely :) Or maybe some kind of larger gourami like Pearls or Moonlights would be nice in there.

Wills

SarahMarie said:
It's a juwel rio 240 litres. So quite a bit of space to work with. Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow!
What fish are you looking to add to the tank? :)
 that's really exciting! The juwels are fantastic! I'm thinking of trying out gouramis and Bolivian rams. What's ur stocking like?

Wills said:
Tank looks great - I would look to the planted section for advice on that hair grass as I dont think it does well when clumped together like that. Its one of my favorite plants but never been able to keep it alive for very long...

As for adding more fish - going from the stock list in your signature the first thing you have to do is decide which route you want to take the tank, I am of course referring to the BGK.... its a massive predator in a tank with rummy nose and cardinal tetras. They have surprisingly huge mouths as this video shows.

PLEASE IGNORE THE OTHER FISH IN THE TANK - this is a terribly stocked tank but it proves a point as to how huge the BGKs mouth really is...

So I think you have to choose between the tetras and the ghost knife - larger disk tetras would work in their place like Bleeding Hearts, Columbians, Diamonds etc would be pretty good :)

Then I think its open water feature fish you need in there - things like a Blue Acara would work nicely :) Or maybe some kind of larger gourami like Pearls or Moonlights would be nice in there.

Wills
ill have a look at the hair grass, I had a feeling that might have been the case. As for my BGK he is actually quite friendly with the tetras, I've had them in the tank together for over a year and nothing has happened. Obviously that's not normal haha, but he seems fine. We're u saying my stocking is bad or the one in the video?

I was thinking of trying some gouramis and Bolivian rams as I've had them previously. As for space / hiding spots, do you think I need more hiding or the space is good?

Ill have a look at the ones you've suggested also.

I was thinking of getting gouramis as a sort of 'centre piece' but I'm still unsure which type I should get. I liked the kissing gouramis but don't know if they would get too big for the tank :/

SarahMarie said:
I was thinking of getting gouramis as a sort of 'centre piece' but I'm still unsure which type I should get. I liked the kissing gouramis but don't know if they would get too big for the tank
confused.gif

That would be pretty awesome haha, but yeah know whatcha mean. Should be okay though!

I would still be wary with the BGK and the tetras - saying they act like friends is totally irrelevant - BGKs are ambush predators so when he is large enough - should he get hungry, the tetras will start disappearing....  Its upto you but I wouldnt advise this mix being kept long term.

I think you need to start by adding a full group of Yoyos - The Bolivians could work a group of 4 will work nice :)

Wills

Wills said:
I would still be wary with the BGK and the tetras - saying they act like friends is totally irrelevant - BGKs are ambush predators so when he is large enough - should he get hungry, the tetras will start disappearing....  Its upto you but I wouldnt advise this mix being kept long term.

I think you need to start by adding a full group of Yoyos - The Bolivians could work a group of 4 will work nice
smile.png

Wills

Thanks wills, I'll keep an eye out for the BGK, if he does become aggressive I may have to get rid of him :( which is shame, he is awesome haha. 

In terms of the scape, do you think I would need to look at anymore hiding spots with rocks/plants or do you think its okay? 

Most reactions

Back