New Rocks

KyleJ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I live on the beach and was last night out walking along it, I noticed some rocks that would look good in a tank so as you do, took them home. I relise i cant put them in now but what do I need to do? I heard I should boil them, is this enough or should more be done??

Help is appreciated

Cheers
Kyle

i wouldnt risk putting rocks you found on the beach in your tank the salt content would take weeks to remove and then you may not get it all

i wouldnt risk putting rocks you found on the beach in your tank the salt content would take weeks to remove and then you may not get it all

Cheers mate, I wasnt sure just they look cool, I was told to boil them but wasnt sure about the salt like you say it may never come off.

Is there and chemical I could use or is this not advisble?

Cheers mate, I wasnt sure just they look cool, I was told to boil them but wasnt sure about the salt like you say it may never come off.

Is there and chemical I could use or is this not advisble?

you could boil them (if they are lava stones dont do it they will explode) then put the stones into a bucket of water.
First fill the bucket of water and test the water every day until it becomes stable. once the water isnt fluctuating put the stones in and test the water over a week and if the water doesnt change then they are ok to put into your tank.

Cheers that sounds like a good plan.....

Only thing, stupid question, what should I be testing for? and what can I use to test it? I hav all the chemcial stest for the water but do I need something to test for salt say?

Cheers
Kyle

Cheers that sounds like a good plan.....

Only thing, stupid question, what should I be testing for? and what can I use to test it? I hav all the chemcial stest for the water but do I need something to test for salt say?

Cheers
Kyle

Well if you do a general test of all your tests you will see any changes in any of the ranges. Most rocks are are inert so they will not do any thing to the water. Howerver some rocks would kill your tank. Like a block of chalk, Sandstone, iron ore rocks etc..

Take a picture of the rocks, and I'll probably be able to identify them.

If the 'salt never comes off' the rock, then surely it's fine in the tank? As the amount of salt coming off the rock is negligable.

...what should I be testing for?...

You should be testing to see if the rocks have any effect on your pH level.

Ahh thanks, ill have to do that, hopefully i will be able to add it

Cheers
Kyle

Take a picture of the rocks, and I'll probably be able to identify them.

If the 'salt never comes off' the rock, then surely it's fine in the tank? As the amount of salt coming off the rock is negligable.

Thats a good idea, I cant at the minute unfortunately as im at work and the rocks are at home, there like a cream colour with loads of little holes in if that helps? The ones iv got are only a few inches in size as well.

Cheers
Kyle

Salt really isnt an issue here, the type of beach pebbles/cobbles you can find in most places in the UK will not be of a porous rock type and even then one boiling is all that would be needed.

Most importantly if you cant provide us with pictures, is that you conduct a vinegar fizz test to ensure the rock is not carbonate (Limestone, Chalk as already mentioned) which would cause a rise in pH. And also to ensure the rock does not have metallic mineral inclusions, little sparkly gold-ish crystals (Pyrite & Chalcopyrite) especially should be avoided, as these are usually reactive and in the case of sulphate minerals like Pyrite they will cause a lowering of pH (directly by weathering to sulphuric acid amongst other things!)

Anyway if they look generally like this;
pebbles.gif

and you've observed for metallic minerals and tested for carbonates they should be totally fine ;)

Thanks for that mate,

Ill have to try what you've said, the picture you provided isnt what the stones look like, there more cream and full of holes, I cant see and minerals although im not sure what to look for. I want to try the vinegar test but how do I do that? Just put vinegar on it or with water? Sorry if these questions seem simple but I dont know anything about rocks!!

Cheers
Kyle

Thanks for that mate,

Ill have to try what you've said, the picture you provided isnt what the stones look like, there more cream and full of holes, I cant see and minerals although im not sure what to look for. I want to try the vinegar test but how do I do that? Just put vinegar on it or with water? Sorry if these questions seem simple but I dont know anything about rocks!!

Cheers
Kyle

You put a little bit of vinegar on the rock, if it fizzes it indicates a reaction and suggests CaCo3 presence.

Not really sure from the description, possibly weathered pumice? but that'd have more of a grey hue.

(are you a geologist by any chance Saedcantas?)

Thanks for that mate,

Cheers
Kyle

You put a little bit of vinegar on the rock, if it fizzes it indicates a reaction and suggests CaCo3 presence.

Not really sure from the description, possibly weathered pumice? but that'd have more of a grey hue.

(are you a geologist by any chance Saedcantas?)

Cheers mate ill try that tonight

Most reactions

Back