New Project

Lenna

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Being a long-term sufferer of MTS, tanks are beginning to take over my house. I have 9, none of which are over 40g (3') at the moment and the maintenance is taking longer and longer. My other problem is where I live and the heat. Even with the lights off and filters running at maximum (aquaclears) all my tanks are sitting on 31deg C. Since most of my fish are compatible in a community I decided to convert to one larger tank, selling the smaller ones except for my brackish setup and two small fry tanks. One of the privately owned LFS was closing down and I got a 6'*2'*2' tank on a reinforced timber stand for AUS$800, which is okay since a new one costs twice that around here. However, the timber was untreated pine so I needed to give a couple of coats of oil to protct it from water damage.
RIMG0126.jpg
RIMG0127.jpg

Two fluval 305s are in the mail (bought on ebay for AUS$150 each). Added 60kg pool filter sand and filled it up to give the sand a chance to settle. All the sand in my current tanks will be used as well. Next step will be the hood and lights, which I'm still trying to source at the moment.
RIMG0128.jpg

Congrats on te new tank. I wish my tank was as big as that how many gallons is it?

nice tank. i have a 55 gallon tank but i want bigger. how many gallons is that bad boy?

Nice job m8,
Are you going to make a hood to compliment the whole thing.
Regards
BigC

The tank is 680L or 170US g and I do intend to have a hood on it. I'll have to get one made because I don't have any powertools. I'm still yet to decide how much lighting I'm going to have and whether or not to go a bit further and get a CO2 canister. :D

Aros shouldn't really be kept in a 6x2x2 for life as they get a little large for turning. You really want to give them 2.5 feet front to back.

I woudn't have worried about community in a tank that size...it's made for big fish and you know it ;)

Could look great though with some nice planting in there though.

I envision an open top tank with ajungle of val on one end, and a sloped up section with a bunch of crypts and roots and some plants that will flower above water on the other. Add in a bunch of angels or discus or something like that that will dash about in the val. Yeah. that would look awesome.

What fish are going to be in there once you transfer them all?

Looking good although you have got a battle one your hands with SamUk for best tank... ... .

50 paces at the ready :hyper:

Anywg- Don't worry, half the reason I upgraded is the chance to start keeping fish I never had a big enough tank for previously. I'm quite attached to my present fish, some of which I've had a while now and will keep them until they eventually die. Eventually I want to have an aussie natives tank with perch, barred grunter, tandanus cats, etc.

Jen- Funny you should mention those particular plants, I have many of them already and they're going in once I get the CO2 system. I have all sorts of fish spread across 7 FW tanks including angels, glass cats, kribs, rams, dwarf guoramis, bristlenose plecs, and schools of various things like congo tetra, harlequin rasboras, danios, cardinals, rummynoses and hockey stick tetra.

Update- my fluvals arrived and are up and running, now comes the boring bit of doing a fishless cycle.

Today I put up a background and put in an interesting piece of driftwood.
RIMG0130.jpg
RIMG0131.jpg
PS sorry about the crap picture I'm not very good with a digital camera. :/

Nice looking cabinet and tank. Navy blue background also looks good and will show plants up really well if you decide to go that way. Lucky you live in North Queensland. If I tried to keep 9 tanks down here in sunny Melbourne my heating bills would be astronimical.

Most reactions

Back