New Member, Big Freshwater Tank And "temporary" Saltwater

Puchers have a different body shape than Microlepis do. It's easy to see when you've seen a true widebar, but not so much if you are just looking at pictures online. Pulchers are taller and microlepis are more lean and long. In a pulcher, the first bar sweeps back and is pointed, with the next one a straight line.

Some people try to identify them by tail stripes, but that can vary among individual fish. You just have to train yourself to recognize them. I still can't ID them well after all this time. :rolleyes: I think it's because I've only ever seen one widebar in person and that was just for a short time.

Basically what invader said best things to tell are colour, body shape, tail stripes, the angle of the body stripe just comes with practice I am know where near as experianced as some people but can tell the difference 95% of the time there are some real tricky ones that baffel people..

Thanks for the tiger tips! I feel like we're discussing Ty Beanie Babies in the '90s.

"No, yours has a black nose with pink whiskers. Mine has grey whiskers. WHERE DO I FIND THE PINK WHISKERS!!!"

^^^ (I think I heard that in a Hallmark once.)

kinda outa topic but havent read the post in a while but ill make u a deal if u give me half the tank ill pay half the electric bill :lol: (which must be astronomical)

Amazing Tank and fish. :drool: :drool: :drool:

lol my first post was a bit lame as it had no words, but you have some very nice fish, I was stunned :D!!

kinda outa topic but havent read the post in a while but ill make u a deal if u give me half the tank ill pay half the electric bill :lol: (which must be astronomical)

Ha! I just saw this. That's a deal. PS - your side is up for a water change next weekend. :sick:

Thought I'd post this tid-bit of info here since we had the discussion about feeder fish and all:

Spoke with the breeders at length and we did a few new things to my feeder stock tank to further increase the quality of feeders going to our monsters. We added a lot of parrot feather to the tank to keep oxygen in the water and a few small bottom-stirrer catfish to keep the water in top shape between water changes. We were feeding just pellets to the goldfish, but were recommended brine shrimp pellets and a good veggie/vitamin mix flake. Now if only I can figure out what to feed the goldfish to make the RTC's tail get redder. Hmmph. :sly:

isn't brine shrimp supose to make the colors better? Could you stuff a gold fish with brine shrimp then use it as a feeder?? Or Carrot shavingings, most goldfish will eat anything LOL!!

When are you moving to the next house? The huge tank you are planing sounds amazing! you could charge schools to bring children down as a field trip!!! (When I worked at petco, sadly schools would bring children to the store as a field trip!! How sad is that??!?!?! at least we got to tell them how to care for animals though.)

Aww... that's sort of pathetic. No nearby aquariums?

We are looking for about 10-15 acres right now. We are in the midst of a crazy natural gas boom (Barnett Shale) so land is going for a premium. We have 12 acres already but it's zoned industrial, and we built our business on it. :p

We treat our aquariums as part centerpieces and live art as well as parts of our family. They are great conversation pieces for the parties I plan. We have a tank in nearly every room, except bathrooms and kitchen because I am not keen on using chemicals around the tanks. (I learned the hard way with Oxy Clean. Woops.)

We were talking plans for the biggest tank in the future house - I'll have to draw it out in CAD or something soon. It's going to be built in the middle of the house, floor-to-ceiling, viewable on all 4 sides, and will split the house into entertaining and living areas.

wow that tank idea sounds just amazing. thats like some sort of fantasy. :wub:

NICE indo tiger

what size is the tank with the RTC TSN arowana and indo tiger in ?

you may have already stated tank size but i missed it

Most reactions

Back