New Here.

SoulForce87

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! My name is Marvin, but almost everyone calls me Scooby (because of the car I drive). I am currently 21 years of age. I actually joined this site about 2 months ago, but I never made any posts. I was just snooping around gather knowledge and whatnot. I decided to step out of the shadows and make friends. :D

About 6 years ago I was into Bettas as pets, but had stopped since then... and just recently I had been bitten on my butt by the betta bug. I "re-entered" the world of bettas by purchasing a blue VT male. I really wanted a tank setup for female bettas so I went ahead and purchased 2 yesterday and 2 more today. All of them are unnamed at the moment because I want to get to know them before I give them names, but they are all VERY BEAUTIFUL ladies. :blush: I'm not sure what tail types they are, but I'm hoping they are all female because they were showing aggression towards each other at first (I'm assuming this is normal at first). All of them have a visible ovipositor as well.

Here is my VT male, Zircon (as in the gem stone blue Zircon). He almost swam off when I was taking the picture.
DSC02102.jpg

and here are my lovely ladies...

She wanted to be different so she faced the other way for the picture... lol
DSC02578.jpg

This one is rather tiny compared to the others.
DSC02572.jpg

DSC02573.jpg

DSC02574.jpg

They live in a 5g with plenty of hiding space, filter, and heater. I love all of them! (but my 2 favorite are the first and third pic :rolleyes: Ironically, the same 2 seem to be the most dominant out of the group)

Hey welcome man. Those are some great fish! I'm not the best at judging male/female, but I don't see anything that suggests that they might be male. Just keep a close eye on em.

You wouldn't happen to drive a WRX or something of the sort would you?

Hey welcome man. Those are some great fish! I'm not the best at judging male/female, but I don't see anything that suggests that they might be male. Just keep a close eye on em.

You wouldn't happen to drive a WRX or something of the sort would you?

BINGO! I do drive a WRX. Haha. :good:

And thanks for the welcome!

Nice. 2004 STi here. Good taste in cars then! I guess ur alright. If you drove an Evo we might have a problem :p

Hahaha... that's awesome! Yeah, I drive a 2006 Aspen White WRX. I usually roll around with the AllWheelJunkies, but I've been MIA lately doin' my own thing. And you've got good taste as well! Gotta love that boxer engine. :D

Anyways back to fish lol :rolleyes: . I'll jump at any chance to spark up a car discussion.

Definitely hook us up with some pics when you get that sorority tank set up. I'm lovin that 3rd female.

Anyways back to fish lol :rolleyes: . I'll jump at any chance to spark up a car discussion.

Definitely hook us up with some pics when you get that sorority tank set up. I'm lovin that 3rd female.

Actually, I set the tank up yesterday so I could let it condition before I put them in... here it is.

DSC02580.jpg

I'll try to get some better shots.

:hi: Welcome to the forum. :fun: :good:

Thank you!

Nice fish. They all look like VT females to me. The tank seems a bit small for a sorority set up. I know it's 5 gal, but it has more height than length, so you may end up with quite a bit of bullying. I'd just keep an eye on them when you put them in. Glad to have you here.

Nice fish. They all look like VT females to me. The tank seems a bit small for a sorority set up. I know it's 5 gal, but it has more height than length, so you may end up with quite a bit of bullying. I'd just keep an eye on them when you put them in. Glad to have you here.

Thank you. I'm looking to upgrade to a 10gallon, but I'm saving up at the moment because I need to buy a stand also. There's no room in my... room. Haha. The girls are in there and they all seem to be doing fine. They were all flaring at each other at first when they'd cross paths, but they've seemed to settle down a bit. What makes me curious is that the third girl (in the pics) seems to do a lot of flaring at all of them. Is this normal? The other three don't seem to mind each other as much anymore, but I was thinking that might be because that other girl is the dominant one. Any ideas?

Does her flare go all the way under her chin......if so she could be a he. Have you got any photos of her?

Very beautifal fish hun!

I would keep an eye on girls 3 and 4 as they both look like they could be male. Tank 3 more so, and whatever s/he turnes out to be its a darn nice fish :drool:

Very beautifal fish hun!

I would keep an eye on girls 3 and 4 as they both look like they could be male. Tank 3 more so, and whatever s/he turnes out to be its a darn nice fish :drool:

Why thank you... :]

Well, it's been a week and they've calmed down a bit more. I was doing some more reading about dominance in communities and there's a supposed "pecking order" with a dominant fish out of the group. I'm guessing that would be my third female. Speaking of "third female", I think I need to give these girls some names... haha. I just haven't got any ideas at the moment. Any ideas? :D

Oh and one more thing...
Since they have nipped each other... can I run melafix in the tank? They all could use some melafix, but the pink one doesn't need it as much. I was wondering if I could just do a course of melafix in the 5G without having any problems.

Very beautifal fish hun!

Well, it's been a week and they've calmed down a bit more. I was doing some more reading about dominance in communities and there's a supposed "pecking order" with a dominant fish out of the group. I'm guessing that would be my third female. Speaking of "third female", I think I need to give these girls some names... haha. I just haven't got any ideas at the moment. Any ideas? :D

Oh and one more thing...
Since they have nipped each other... can I run melafix in the tank? They all could use some melafix, but the pink one doesn't need it as much. I was wondering if I could just do a course of melafix in the 5G without having any problems.
my opinioin would be to run the melafix... you wont do any harm....... but im more concerned about your setup and are u sure they are all female at this point?

Very beautifal fish hun!

Oh and one more thing...
my opinioin would be to run the melafix... you wont do any harm....... but im more concerned about your setup and are u sure they are all female at this point?

I'm almost positive they are all females. All of them have a visible ovipositor. When they flare I don't see much of a beard in any of them. I also put my male in a cup and let him float in the tank... just to see if any of them would do some flaring. He did all the flaring, but they didn't do anything except swim away when he pecked at the cup. I'll start the melafix tomorrow.

Any ideas for names? :)

Most reactions

Back