new guppy finding

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyDude

Stephen
Reaction score
hey all, its been a while since iv posted here. i have just graduated my 1st guppy fry to the big tank about 2 weeks ago. at the time the anal fin was triangular shape so i assumed it was female but its tail has devloped beutiful coloring and the anal fin is now of a male. people here have said on a few occasions that the guppy fry could be sexed a week after birth but infact the can not be sexed until 3 months of age. i was wondering y all my fry were female but i guess they just develope a male anal fin later. i have told many people about being abel to sex them after a week and id like to apologize for that and clear up any confuseion.

We're in the same boat. At 3 months all my guppies looked female. Now at 4 only 2 have developed gonopodiums so far. I think there might still be more undeveloped males.

lol im no pro yet :lol: so far iv only got like on average 5 liveing fry outa each batch of 20-40 so until i can get almost all of em to survive then u can me a pro :nod: im gunna need a bigger tank i think, iv got 20 plus fry in a 1g :/ thats probably wats killin em off

I have eleven 3 week old guppy fry and out of them 3 have a gravid spot already. Does this mean they aren't necessarily female and may change into males or because they show the spot are they def female?

Also, most of the fry have some yellow colouring with black markings here and there, does the yellow colour always show up first or does it just mean that dad was yellow? This batch came from my black female who gave birth the day after I got her in the quarantine tank, so I've no idea which lfs male got her pregnant as they were all in the same tank together :blink:

Its quite exciting waiting to see their colours develope. I do have 2 though that are identical in colour to their mum so far

This fry business is very confusing LOL! :lol:

My guppy fry all look like they have gravid spots already, I really hope there not preggo cause there only a month of age....If they have gravid spots does that mean that there female, or do they really change from female to male?

Most reactions

Back