New Geo Surinamensis Breeding Trio

hamfist

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm slightly shocked, but yesterday I rehomed Buster to a lovely chap in Sussex who had a 650 litre tank just for him. I was rather sad to see him go, but really wanted more than just a lone fish in my 80 Gallon. Also, I was feeling a bit sorry for Buster only giving him that tank for the rest of his life. I think he deserved more space.

Anyway ........ within 2 hours of Buster's departure I bought a trio of wild caught Geophagus surinamensis (well, not sure of the exact species as yet, but certainly from the surinamensis complex). Will do some more research over the next few days.

According to the bloke I bought them off, who certainly liked to extend the bounds of reality at times, they are wild caught, and are 6-7" long (no they are actually about 5" really !). They apparently have also spawned, although he raised no young. They certainly have incredible colours, which my cr@p photos certainly do not do justice to.

I am hoping that I can get a pair spawning from them. They were living as part of a shoal of 5, which all seemed to get along just fine.
Unfortunately in their new tank WWIII broke out last night, as they all seem to need to start from scratch in sorting out a pecking order. Things rather more peaceful today, but certainly no signs of two of them pairing up yet.

Here's some pics anyway. Not the best, but I'm sure I'll get some better ones in time.

TerryJune300111.jpg

terry300111.jpg

June300111.jpg

Terry300111b.jpg

Terry300111d.jpg

They're lovely!

You'll probably find with a group of three that a pecking order will rarely ever be found. It's the same with my three Tapajo's, they spend about 2 hours a day swimming around together and the rest scrapping lol.

You re-homed Buster :hyper: *faint*
They look very similar to the Altifrons (sp) that I looked after of Minxy's, unfortunately it was pre camera days so cant double check. Very nice.

Looking really nice :)

Someone here a while ago posted a technical drawing to ID Surinimensis geos based on spots or stripes in tails and location and size of lateral line and over all size as well which is brilliant for starters could do to find it and get it pinned really given the popularity or geos here at the moment :)

Wills

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/327663-geophagus-surinamensis/ this is the post managed to find it :) Its quite good in general for identifying them turns up quite a bit of info and directions on them :)

Wills

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/327663-geophagus-surinamensis/ this is the post managed to find it :) Its quite good in general for identifying them turns up quite a bit of info and directions on them :)

Wills

Interesting, but I'm not sure how accurate that chart is. Doesn't even include G.abalios, which is one of the commonest found variants in the trade.

You re-homed Buster :hyper: *faint*

I did. Even surprised myself. But he's gone to a great home !!

OK, now very confidently identified on MFK as G.altifrons (quite possibly the "tocantins" variety).

Really hoping I can breed these guys. It's the first time for years I've actually felt like I want to breed any fish !!

Absolutely beautiful fish.

hi there

nice geophagus,but they get bigger than 7 inches at least 10 inches
also pls change youre gravel to sand as gravel is a really bad option for them as they can insure them selfs.
sand is also naitive to them

regards

gerald

Absolutely beautiful fish.

hi there

nice geophagus,but they get bigger than 7 inches at least 10 inches
also pls change youre gravel to sand as gravel is a really bad option for them as they can insure them selfs.
sand is also naitive to them

regards

gerald

No-one, in this thread anyway, mentioned anything about them getting only to 7", so not quite sure where you got that from.

My gravel is just fine for geos. It is the finest gravel grade out there, about 1-1.5mm grains, almost like very big sand grains. I don't like maintaining tanks with sand substrate. It's only once the gravel gets over about 3mm grains (and even then it would need to be sharp, not smooth grains) that you can start getting problems with smaller geos.

Fantastic. Geos are certainly very popular currently. Myself having bought 5 Geo Brasiliensis just before christmas. Any chance of a FTS hamfist :)

Wow, seems to be all change in the Hamfist aquariums again... With me having taken the Brochis; seeing adverts for your rainbowfish; your lovely little outgoing cichlid (forgot what he was, if I'm remembering this right) and now Buster is gone!
unsure.gif
(shocked)

The new Geos look lovely though.
wub.gif

Wow, seems to be all change in the Hamfist aquariums again... With me having taken the Brochis; seeing adverts for your rainbowfish; your lovely little outgoing cichlid (forgot what he was, if I'm remembering this right) and now Buster is gone!
unsure.gif
(shocked)

The new Geos look lovely though.
wub.gif

THanks mate !

I'm really happy with the way things are now though. The only issue being whether the third geo stays in the same tank, as the other two have definately paired up and are generally harassing him. I will probably try him in my big tank, and see how he gets on.

Most reactions

Back