New fry

Tempestuousfury

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
One of my platies gave birth to a new batch of fry yesterday. So far I've managed to catch five of I don't know how many. The fry keep diggin into the gravel and hiding down there.

Are these fry going to be ok?
How are they going to get out and will they get eaten if they manage to do so?

the fry should be ok with the gravel as they are the same clour, bu8t depends on how fed your other fish are as if they are hungry then they will go after the fry if not they should be ok. just add plants for them to hide in

Unfortunately, I've only got a small plastic plant and a cave. I had other plants, but the kept floating up and I threw them away. I'll get some more though, hopefully...

:cool: Woohoo!! I also had a platy who gave birth yesterday...we took papa and put him in the big tank, but have left momma with the babies. Not sure how many we have - one count gave us 6 ! Should we leave her with them or take her out of the small tank?

I read that hormones keep the female from eating the fry for one day. Then, like the dad, she,too, will begin eating the fish.

leave her in there

and buy some plant weights from ls to stop them from floting up mate

Well..took mom out of the small tank..her and papa are back to doing their !thing! in large tank..sheesh.
The babies are all starting to come out of gravel now there is no other fish around...so far we have seen 13 at one time!!! they are soooooooooo tiny just a couple of big eyes with tails! hahahah

Anyone want some platy fry in a couple of months??? :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back