NEW FISHY!!! Betta

fourplayfishy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ok well since i brushed my moms hair like a good little girl i get my betta lol yes i basically bribed her into it... :p lol anyways i need to know like what type of food dried or frozen is best :X and if its easy to get either a comb tail or a veil tail

you need to house your betta in at least a 1 gallon tank-preferably more. you also need a lid/hood on the tank becasue bettas like to jump out. you need water conditioners (i use novaqua and amquel along with 1/2 tsp of freshwater aquarium salt). i feed mine hikari betta bio-gold and hikari bloodworms. (i use frozen and freeze dried. bettas prefer frozen though).
if you dont live somewhere where its hot, you probably need a heater. for a really small tank- a 7.5 or 8 watt. for a 5-10 gal, a 25 watt.
the water also needs to be changed at least once a week.

just about all of the bettas at petstores are veiltails. sometimes they have combtails too.

bettas are usually kept at room temperature, their pH is around 6.0-6.5 is what i believe, about 3/4 a gallon to a gallon. i would prefer hikari bio-gold pellets, and sometimes frozen blood worms...i would at least feed 2-3 pellets 2 times a day, water changes can be from 3-5 days or 1 week.

congrats on the new betta :D

well it depends on what your room temperature is. bettas prefer around 75-80. remember that what you thermostat in your house is on is going to be 2-5 degrees higher than your bettas water. i dont bother with the heaters since its constantly 90 degrees in my house :fun:

ok well my tank is like 3gal and yes it has a lid i already made sure of that lol... but for the temp thing im kinda worried cuz its small and at night its 68 degrees in my house... i could always close the door cuz that always makes it warmer in here (im keepin it on the shelf behinde me in my computer room) and my original question... comb or veil easy to get at a fish store?

If I'm not mistaken, a small 15-25 watt heater will be fine for 3 gallons. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah some do say no heaters for under 5. Other say if you must, it is an option. I live in MN, and it can get very very cold in the winter.

its just the ac in my house is overly cold unless i got the door to this room closed... 70 in the day like 68 at night BRRRR

i dont know of many people that dont use heaters. you can get a 7.5 or 8 watt heater at walmart. also keep in mind that if your house is 68, your bettas water will likely be 63-66. i would definately go with a heater.

One thing I've learned in the last 4 days is that a lot of what you read or hear is opinion and that bettas really can survive many ways. I was so worried about feeding, twice a day or 3 times a week? Then I realized that many people do it different ways. A Betta can go a long while with out food, but they shouldn't have to. They don't need filters or heaters, but they would enjoy it. You don't have to give them 3 gallons, but they will be very happy. They don't require brine or worms, but they will love you for it.

They are very flexible and you just need to decide for your self what you want to do. My plan is a 3 gallon Eclipse w/ biowheel. Small heater (undecided on size, just heard walmart has 7-8watt heaters). Some Java Moss/Fern. Daily feedings of Hakari pellets, with rotation on frozen brine/worms and 1 day fasting.

All this I've learned in the last 4 days here. This is such a wonderful place to meet great people and learn what you need to know.

veiltails are what you'll mostly find in fish stores. You might run inot the occasional combtail, but don't count on it too much (never came across one yet).

Draven said:
One thing I've learned in the last 4 days is that a lot of what you read or hear is opinion and that bettas really can survive many ways. I was so worried about feeding, twice a day or 3 times a week? Then I realized that many people do it different ways. A Betta can go a long while with out food, but they shouldn't have to. They don't need filters or heaters, but they would enjoy it. You don't have to give them 3 gallons, but they will be very happy. They don't require brine or worms, but they will love you for it.

They are very flexible and you just need to decide for your self what you want to do. My plan is a 3 gallon Eclipse w/ biowheel. Small heater (undecided on size, just heard walmart has 7-8watt heaters). Some Java Moss/Fern. Daily feedings of Hakari pellets, with rotation on frozen brine/worms and 1 day fasting.

All this I've learned in the last 4 days here. This is such a wonderful place to meet great people and learn what you need to know.
yes but some of those opinions are about merely keeping the fish alive. other opinions are about how to make your fish happy and thrive.

Most reactions

Back