new fish

Newguy122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi for my 10 gal fish tank i was thinking about getting 6 neon tetra 6 amano shrimp and 10 cherry shrimp what other fish can i get i like otocinclus

i dont know about the hjardness
One thing you'll pick up, if you start browsing the Forum, is the number of times people are asked about 'water parameters'. Understanding these are key to managing most, if not all, issues encountered in fishkeeping.
I'd recommend you invest in a decent set of test kits, so that you'll know what your pH, water hardness, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are.
For sure, you could possibly take a sample of your tank water to your local fish shop and they might test the water for you, but it is always better to be able to do this yourself, whenever you want.
This is an example of a good test kit to look for.

yes i already have the freshwater master test kit please let me know of any others
Doh! I sent you the wrong link. :oops:
My post was made because you said that you didn't know the hardness of your water.
This test kit should help you with that.

Test strips are available, but I've found the liquid test kits are easier to read and give a more precise reading.

If you post the link, @Essjay can normally work out if the info is there.
No...you misunderstand. I'm tech savvy and can find such stuff, but many Forum members might not be. Some fishkeepers I know would struggle to search for the info on a badly designed website, but be well able to do a water test.

Plus, the data for my own water supply was recently out of date, due to a series of major leaks and subsequent works. This was only for a brief spell and the water peeps did give good warning beforehand, but the point I'm making is that I prefer to be able to check things myself, whenever I need to.

Some water company websites do make it hard to find your hardness. Some have it in the same section as the water quality report and as soon as you load that page the info is all there. With others, you have to enter your postcode to find the supply zone, then download a pdf and look down the supply zone column to find yours. It would be so much easier if they all used the same format.
There are some addresses which give no results for hardness or water quality. My son lived a few miles away from us, with the same water company. Their website recognises his address but gives no info for hardness or water quality, those sections are just not there.

Some water company websites do make it hard to find your hardness. Some have it in the same section as the water quality report and as soon as you load that page the info is all there. With others, you have to enter your postcode to find the supply zone, then download a pdf and look down the supply zone column to find yours. It would be so much easier if they all used the same format.
There are some addresses which give no results for hardness or water quality. My son lived a few miles away from us, with the same water company. Their website recognises his address but gives no info for hardness or water quality, those sections are just not there.
I suppose the old duffer in me prefers the facility to remain independent of tech and/or others...just in case. ;)

Most reactions

Back