New catfish - any suggestions?

boxman

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm selling my BGK today as he's getting too big for my 22g(uk). :byebye:

I'd like to get a sort of synodontis catfish but obviously not an actual syno due to tank size. My LFS had something they labled as holstrum catfish but can't see anything on planetcatfish.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would make a nice peaceful tankmate?

Thanks!

Holstrum is probably a abbreviation for Hoplosternum, or just a stupid mistake :lol:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=41576

They get a little bit big for a 22g and grow very fast.

A better choice for your tank would be Synodontis nigriventris which rarely exceeds 3 inches and is a peacefull schooling fish.

I just got 3 panda cories (so cool :hey: ) but I'd like to get some sort of catfish as I explained before. My LFS took the BGK (so sad :()

Anyway, they've got some upsidedown catfish, they reckon they'll get to about 6" - does that sound about right?

boxman said:
I just got 3 panda cories (so cool :hey: ) but I'd like to get some sort of catfish as I explained before. My LFS took the BGK (so sad :()

Anyway, they've got some upsidedown catfish, they reckon they'll get to about 6" - does that sound about right?
[snapback]848199[/snapback]​
u need at least 3 and if they were mislabeled you might end up with anything. a lot of synos swim upside down adn theres an upside down mystus species.

Not all Synodontis catfishes grow huge, S.nigriventris doesnt get much larger than a cory.

CFC said:
Not all Synodontis catfishes grow huge, S.nigriventris doesnt get much larger than a cory.
[snapback]848317[/snapback]​

yeah but you need at least 3 so thats 12" of fish and theyre often mislabeled so you could get a fish that grows to 12" and is evil

Syno contractus stays small too. The problem is if your lfs is anything like mine they just put upside down catfish on the tank and haven't a clue which ones they are. I want some but i haven't come across any that i could be sure are the right ones.

Eutropiellus debauwi are a nice little fish too and only get around 3 inches.

Emma

Most reactions

Back