New Betta Won't Eat.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tcamos said:
The water goes between 68 and 70. I know this is too cool please dont tell me about that.
Sorry, but we have to tell you about that because it's likely the heart of the matter. Your questions was about the fish not eating and my experience tells me that the low temperature is the reason.
I didnt mean for it to be rude, if thats what you think. I just mean that i know its low and i plan on getting a heater. I just didnt want for people to gang up o me for it, not that anybody did but thats all i meant.

I don't want people to gang up on you either. I just want to confirm for you that the lack of a heater is the issue.

If there is a warmer spot in the house where you can keep the fish to at least get to 76 degrees try that. Personally I keep my betta at 80 degrees. I put 76-82 degrees as a range for them with 78-80 being my ideal. Between 70-73 the fish will suffer from lethargy, loss of appetite, and disease.

One possibility for you is to put the betta in container and put it in your 55 gallon tank until you can get a heater for the 10 gallon. That way it won't interact with the other fish but will get the benefit of the tropical water.  

As a side note be sure to do water changes regularly as the uneaten food will create dirty water.

What kind of container? Can you elaborate on that?

You can buy a small litre tank for bettas and then clip or hook it inside the tank. They come with lids so the betta can't jump out.

You could try Craig's list and see if someone has a heater for you. There are always people leaving the hobby and who are looking to get rid of their stuff for cheap!

Meeresstille said:
You could try Craig's list and see if someone has a heater for you. There are always people leaving the hobby and who are looking to get rid of their stuff for cheap!
Thank you i will do that! What is a reasonable price for a used 50 watt heater?

What I would do is find out how much that exact heater is worth in the stores (google) and decide if the asking price on Craig's List needs some bargaining. :)

This is what I use. I keep a couple around as they serve many purposes in my tanks including a place to put injured fish while they heal.
800443062258CS1.jpg

tcamos said:
This is what I use. I keep a couple around as they serve many purposes in my tanks including a place to put injured fish while they heal.
800443062258CS1.jpg
Awesome, thank you!

And they have the advantage of being affordable. $5 for the small one (which is plenty big for a betta) at PetCo.

But this little tank would only be a temporary solution, and since you are dealing with a problem in your 55 gallon at the moment, and are medicating it (other thread) it's not something you want to do right now anyways. 

Can someone tell me more about floating hot water bottles in the aquarium?

I wouldn't bother with the hot bottles as the temp will soon drop that's not good as
the temp going up and down will lead to more stress.  Could lead to more problems like Whitespot (Ich) Swim Bladder, Columnaris.

Most reactions

Back