New Babies!!!

I always made sure pulcher fry had enough to pick at in the tank, but also added freshly hatched brine shrimp. They grow faster and seem to thrive well on additional food. With taeniatus/kribensis they made better breeders to keep the lines going. With pulcher I never tried to get many generations - just one or two.

I always made sure pulcher fry had enough to pick at in the tank, but also added freshly hatched brine shrimp. They grow faster and seem to thrive well on additional food. With taeniatus/kribensis they made better breeders to keep the lines going. With pulcher I never tried to get many generations - just one or two.
well, I have some good frozen brine shrimp that I hatched- I'll pull out a vial and see if I can get some near them before the other fish eat all the rest.

I'll be honest my problem with the pulcher was getting them to stop breeding since so many frys survived. Much easier these days where i have to struggle to keep frys alive (though it is a lot of work) ;)

I would move the babies out of there. You could get a hose and siphon them into a container for another tank so the other fish dont eat them. I had several batches of baby kribs but my Dension barbs would eat them.

I'll be honest my problem with the pulcher was getting them to stop breeding since so many frys survived. Much easier these days where i have to struggle to keep frys alive (though it is a lot of work) ;)
I have seen at times people desperately trying to rehome kribs, convict cichlids, and bristlenose plecos, because they bred so well they're being over-run, and can't find enough homes for them all!

But, that doesn't make it any less exciting for @MuddyWaters to have and watch his first batch! :D Seeing them grow and develop, and how the parents protect them and have those stunning colours, must be fascinating to watch! I'd be glued to the tank too!

Like with breeding livebearers. I knew I'd reach a point eventually where I'd be over run with tons of guppie and have to find homes for them - but it was still super exciting to get that first batch of babies!! And to watch them grow and colour up, and each new batch was exciting for a long time.

Took a couple of years and rehoming/taking to the store tons of guppies before I reached the point of groaning when I saw new babies and begged the females to stop popping out more (unsuccessfully, I might add - they didn't listen to me!)

I imagine @MuddyWaters will have no problems finding homes for the fry if they make it, especially if you include photos/video of the parents showing those amazing colours!

The high tech tool called a dollar store turkey baster is really good.
My turker baster is probably the most worthwhile fish keeping tool I've invested a quid into! Useful for so many things you never imagined you might need a turkey baster for.

I have seen at times people desperately trying to rehome kribs, convict cichlids, and bristlenose plecos, because they bred so well they're being over-run, and can't find enough homes for them all!

But, that doesn't make it any less exciting for @MuddyWaters to have and watch his first batch! :D Seeing them grow and develop, and how the parents protect them and have those stunning colours, must be fascinating to watch! I'd be glued to the tank too!

Like with breeding livebearers. I knew I'd reach a point eventually where I'd be over run with tons of guppie and have to find homes for them - but it was still super exciting to get that first batch of babies!! And to watch them grow and colour up, and each new batch was exciting for a long time.

Took a couple of years and rehoming/taking to the store tons of guppies before I reached the point of groaning when I saw new babies and begged the females to stop popping out more (unsuccessfully, I might add - they didn't listen to me!)

I imagine @MuddyWaters will have no problems finding homes for the fry if they make it, especially if you include photos/video of the parents showing those amazing colours!

Yea i know - and his kribs are quite nice looking. I was always amazed how carefully she watched them while they played in the sand...
Almost human like even though it isn't.
krib_fry1.jpg

Aww, so cute, Muddy! It brings back fond memories of our kribs & fry. But like AdoraBelle said, rehoming can be difficult after a while. Ours laid eggs every 4 weeks. There was some attrition in a community tank but always some would survive. Your fry look "juvenile size" not like snacks, with nice color. Time to make a plan, lol, there will be a next time soon.

Saw them again this evening hanging out in the Pearl weed.

Love seeing the babies in the tank with their protective parents! But also really love how excited you and your wife are, things like this can really lure non-fish keeping family into wanting to learn more about the tank and fish! Like when she asked if the male was the dad. Just find the interaction and excitement between you really sweet and heartwarming! And I hope for more videos like that as the fry grow up, please! :D ❤️

Most reactions

Back