New Aquarium

TetraGuy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new 29 gallon tank, and plan to keep tetras, otocinclus, corys, and maybe rams or gouramies. So, my first question is, would all of these fish be compatible. My second question is, which of these should I start cycling with? Also, I intend to have a sand substrate, rather than gravel.

Thanks everyone

I don't know that I can do a fishless cycle. I have never seen any aquarium ammonia at my fish store, and at grocery stores, I have know idea what you would do with ammonia such as that.

There is no need for special ammonia i don't think, any bottled ammonia will do as far as i know. There are numerous threads on this forum regarding fishless cycling. Have a nosey mate and see if it is of any use to you. Do you have a tank up and running at the moment?

I do. It is a ten gallon tank. It has been running for a long time, and has a few tetras and catfish in it. Not to sound ignorant, but what do you mean by a 'nosey mate'?

It means have a look. lol.

I would attempt to try and seed the filter using a piece of sponge from the filter in the 10 gallon and place it in the new filter. Another way you could do it is to clean the filter sponges from your 10 gallon tank in the bigger tanks water so that the new filter sucks up all the 'goodness' that comes out of the used filter sponges. Not exactly ideal, but it may work. Keep an eye on your water parameters also. :)

Oh okay. I don't actually have sponge in my filter, it is an Aqueon quiet flow filter, so it has other biological media in it. I have also considered putting some of the 4 big rocks in my new tank.

No idea what that is, but could you put some of it in the new filter? That would help tremendously!

Actually, I dont think I can, as they are different sized filters. As for my first question, do you think that tetras, gouramies, and rams would be compatible?

I would say yes they would be compatable, but remember that some Rams need a bit higher water temperature so read up on the ones you want first hand just to double check. Tetra's prefer acidic water as do Rams i think. Gourami's will tolerate either as long as it is not extreme.

you should be able to take some media out of the old one and put it in the new filter, just get creative, its not like u have to have them be the same exact model, just cut a strip, or grab some of that other media,and find a place to put it in the new filter, preferably so the water runs over the mature media first, then onto the new media. its simple and will help ur cycle tremendously.

Actually, having looked at my aquarium, I could perhaps even put both filters in the new aquarium. I have an undergravel filter in the other tank, so I'm not worried about filtration in that tank.

If you have an undergravel filter in your old tank, then all the beneficial bacteria will be in your old tank's gravel. Do you live in the US?

There is no need for special ammonia i don't think, any bottled ammonia will do as far as i know. There are numerous threads on this forum regarding fishless cycling. Have a nosey mate and see if it is of any use to you. Do you have a tank up and running at the moment?
Actually you cannot use any bottled ammonia. In the US we use Ace Hardware's Janitorial Strength Ammonia. This is the only brand that does not contain any surfactants, dyes, fragrances or any other harmful additives that all regular bottled ammonia has. In the UK Boot's Ammonia is used as it is also free from the additives.

Just put a dead prawn to rot.. It take bit longer but do the trick.

Most reactions

Back