New Aquarist Needing Advice!

Ok will do. What would your thoughts be on introducing fish to get things moving? I've had the tank two weeks now, starting to lose faith a bit :(

I would always recommend against fish-in cycling. You haven't been doing the fishless by the book, so let's address that first and see where it gets us. Knowing that you're dosing the correct amount is the first step, so the test after the dose will help there.

Ok I've just done another test. Still looks like the reading is 0 :(

I done a nitrite test as well, in case the tank had miraculously cycled the ammonia, and that is 0 is well :(

When did you add the ammonia?

Seems to me like you aren't putting enough in. Get hold of the syringe.

Ok I've kept adding th ammonia and the colour has changed very slightly! Hopefully I'm starting to see things progress slightly, will keep you posted.

No fish? Keep overdosing it, doesnt matter keep going mate its worth it.
I rushed mine at 4th week and still ended up spiking the tank caused me no end of grief and I thought 4 weeks after that was going to be easy!

Problem is, GF, I think he's underdosing.

Folks back to zero again :( seriously tempted to put in ten zebra danios or something similar to try and get things started?? Is there any chance that the filter is churning away quietly taking in the ammonia?

Yes, there is, but until you tell me how much ammonia you are putting in, I just don't know what the situation is.

Jay; you really need to keep adding ammonia until you have a reading of 2 or 3ppm on your ammonia test.

Then leave it for 12 hours, and test again.

If the ammonia has gone down then, your cycle will be on it's way, and you can start testing for nitrite :good:

I've been adding 2.5 for the last few days now and still nothing. I put an extra bit of 'cycle' product into the filter yesterday as well on the off chance it would make a difference. I thought I would have seen some kind of result after seven days folks

JayP said:
I've been adding 2.5 for the last few days
2.5 mls, or until your ammonia test reads 2.5ppm?

Seven day is really not long; most cycles take between four and six weeks. I know that sounds like a long time, but it's much better, and far less hard work, than doing a fish-in cycle.

2.5 ml. Ill persevere. It'll be worth it in the end when I have happy healthy fish. Thanks for all your kind comments folks :)

Most reactions

Back