"new" 29g Tank - Several Questions

Gootz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a 19G freshwater tank in my daughter's room and wanted a tank for my office. So I purchased a used 29G tank and stand off of craigslist. It came with several things including a python gravel vac (score!), Penguin 200 filter and a 200W heater.

I filled up the tank and am checking for leaks. Assuming it passes the leak test (so far so good) I would like to paint the exterior tank trim which is currently "oak," while the stand is black. I'm also going to paint the stand again, just to give it a fresh coat and make it look new again.

It's going to be a planted freshwater tank (not an aquascape, just an assortment of aquatic plants) and I was leaning towards using Eco Complete Planted Black Substrate (http://www.petco.com/product/111998/Eco-Complete-Planted-Black-Aquarium-Substrate.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Fish_2-_-Eco%20Complete%20Planted%20Black%20Aquarium%20Substrate-111998).

Based on the above, I have a few questions:

1. What kind of paint works best on the plastic "oak" frames that run both the top and bottom of the tank?
2. Will 40lbs of gravel be enough for the tank if I want to put plants in it? It will be roughly 2" deep based on the following calculation of Length (30") x Width (12") / 10 = 36lbs. Should I get 60 lbs to make it 3" depth of substrate?
3. Any suggestions or advice for using a different substrate?
4. Will a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water be a good cleaning solution for the tank and heater?
5. Am I missing any other important steps or information regarding my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Krylon spray paint is the best for plastics.
3" is better than 2". I've got 2" in my planted tank and wish I had gone deeper. Sand will work just as well.
I use hot water and vinegar, to sterilize stuff all the time. just a couple of cups to a gallon or two of water is all that's needed.
Good luck!

I'd be worried some overspray would get on the glass and absorb into the water or worse, go directly into the tank. After thinking about it more I've decided to paint the stand instead as the rest of my office has wood furniture and the black wouldn't work. Now I don't have to worry about painting the tank either.

I picked up three 20lb bags of substrate just to play it safe in case I want it deeper than 2". Tank passed the leak test! Cleaning it tomorrow and getting her going. :)

Since you have a bit extra substrate, you could experiment with various depths. I have the right side of my tank deeper than the left. The right side is where the plants are while the left side is a bit more open (and where I put a cave for my corydoras to hang out in).

I've also seen designs with almost a tiered effect. A large stone is laid in place and the substrate on one side is low - even with the bottom of the stone, and the other side is high, even with the top of the stone. Just a thought... Aquascaping is fun, but doing it once the tank is set-up and established is a little tougher. Doing it with an empty (no fish) tank is always best.

I've read a few people doing this and haven't really seen any convincing pics. Do you have any pics of your tank? Would love to see some various angles if it isn't too much trouble.

Going out to wash my tank and start prepping it for it's setup/cycle. :) BBS

Unfortunately, my digital camera is no longer working... There are some great pics of tank set-ups in the "Member's Aquarium and Fish Pictures" section. I'm sure you could find some inspiration there.

There are some other great shots in the Planted section, specifically in the "Meet the Plant People" thread at the top.

Well, if you ever do decide to paint the frame, know that spray paint is non-toxic once it dries.

Most reactions

Back