New 29g Low Tech Planted Tank

Lunar Jetman said:
They have a couple varieties that aren't very colorful, so I'd rather just keep looking until I find something that I know I'll like.
It's worth noting that they sometimes are a little duller in your LFS due to, amongst other things, stress and youth so they may get deeper in colour as they age. Although it's worth waiting until you find the right one for your!
I'll take a look at which varieties they have.  I've looked them up before and they aren't the colorful ones. 

I went to my LFS to pickup some red ludwigia and anacharis, which I did, but on my way up to the register they had this BEAUTIFUL male betta that caught my eye.  The icing on the cake was the bettas were on sale, so I picked him up along with the 2 new plants.  Here's a pic of the tank with the new plants and the betta.  Like my last one that fell to an untimely and sad death, when I first put him in he is flashing at his reflection in the tank as you can see in the pic.  In 1-2 days I'm sure he'll stop, but I definitely admire his beauty when he does flare.  Also, something weird happened after I put the new plants in.  I thought the first assassin snail I got a couple months back had died because I hadn't seen him for about 1 month, so I went and got another one to help keep the (bad) snail population down.  Well, low and behold this morning when the light goes on I see BOTH!!!  He must've had a nice loooooong nap!  A little while later I noticed that the two are intertwined and am curious if they are mating, fighting or what?  Pic below.

2013-03-20093555_zps124cff18.jpg

2013-03-20104124_zpsb15539c0.jpg

You can probably expect little Assassins I would guess, they take a long time to grow and thus do not become a nuisance.  The eggs are square with a yellowish blob in the middle.  I have lots of little Assassins now, which is great as I have been able to add them to all my tanks from the initial few I bought. 

Are you planning a background on your tank?

If you can get a close up of your Betta and add him into the Betta section of the forum.

Cool, maybe they'll finally start eating the bad snails lol.  Thanks for the info on what to look for.

I was contemplating a background, but haven't settled on anything.  I don't like the fake looking background sheets the LFS sells, nor do I like the solid blue color my other tank has.  Keeping my eyes out.  Any suggestions for a natural looking background that would compliment the tank?

I'll have my wife snap a couple pics when she has the time.  She's a pro photog, so she can probably do it justice.

Black is a nice option.  It will really show off the betta's colors!

Will it be too much black with the black eco complete substrate?  I'll play around with some options, maybe snap some pics and share for some opinions.

RCA said:
You can probably expect little Assassins I would guess, they take a long time to grow and thus do not become a nuisance.  The eggs are square with a yellowish blob in the middle.  I have lots of little Assassins now, which is great as I have been able to add them to all my tanks from the initial few I bought. 

Are you planning a background on your tank?

If you can get a close up of your Betta and add him into the Betta section of the forum.

I'll post this in the Betta section, but thought I'd share here too. The pic doesn't do him justice as he has some amazing blue colors in his fins which you can't see too well in this pic. I tried taking about 10 pics and this was the best one I could get with my camera phone.

2013-03-23085823_zps3fc287d9.jpg

Gootz said:
Cool, maybe they'll finally start eating the bad snails lol.  Thanks for the info on what to look for.

I was contemplating a background, but haven't settled on anything.  I don't like the fake looking background sheets the LFS sells, nor do I like the solid blue color my other tank has.  Keeping my eyes out.  Any suggestions for a natural looking background that would compliment the tank?

I'll have my wife snap a couple pics when she has the time.  She's a pro photog, so she can probably do it justice.

Your Welcome.

I looked for ages for a 3D background but in the end gave up, some suppliers did not even bother replying and in some instances they replied without answering my actual query!  I have decided to leave my background on that came with the tanks (second-hand), even thought they are "fake", as once the plants grow I cannot really see the detail on them anyway.  I know what you mean though, some can look very false.

Gootz said:
Will it be too much black with the black eco complete substrate?  I'll play around with some options, maybe snap some pics and share for some opinions.

Don't think so, try it with a bin-bag - cheapest black background you can get
wink.png

Lovely looking Betta, not surprised you were tempted.

RCA said:

Your Welcome.

I looked for ages for a 3D background but in the end gave up, some suppliers did not even bother replying and in some instances they replied without answering my actual query!  I have decided to leave my background on that came with the tanks (second-hand), even thought they are "fake", as once the plants grow I cannot really see the detail on them anyway.  I know what you mean though, some can look very false.

Gootz said:
>Will it be too much black with the black eco complete substrate?  I'll play around with some options, maybe snap some pics and share for some opinions.

Don't think so, try it with a bin-bag - cheapest black background you can get
wink.png

Lovely looking Betta, not surprised you were tempted.

Yeah, when I have the time I'll focus on the background.  I'm sure I can find something I like. 

Just noticed one of my assassin snails was acting weird.  Any idea what he/she's doing?

2013-03-28095351_zps2db2bed9.jpg

One of my buddies at the LFS let me cut a couple small strips of backgrounds to try out.  Which one do you like better of these 2? (excuse the blinds reflection...)

2013-03-31090620_zps9a2fcd30.jpg

Decided to go with the more colorful and realistic background on the right.  I'll upload a pic once the sun goes down and there's no reflection on the glass.

Personally I prefer the one on the left. I've pretty much always had plain backgrounds the last 10 years or so, mainly because I find the picture ones unrealistic.

I've always preferred plain, black backgrounds however I don't have one on at all at the minute 
Dunno.gif

I got fed up with the one I had on which had started to peel away seeing as it was only put on with rolled over cellotape

I'd like to just paint the back but I'd make too much of a mess :p

I thought I'd like the black more too, but when I put them on side by side the tank looks a lot better with the scene.  I think it looks really good with the scenic back drop, so if I'm happy then it's all good. ;)  I'll snap a pick in a couple hours for your viewing pleasure. :)

Most reactions

Back